Coffee Connoisseurs - Reveal your secrets

ExpatOilWorker

In Chiangmai Ristr8to is by far the best express in town, the place is always packed from early mornings. In case anyone ventures around in Phuket, Coffee Lab on Surin main road comes second.

I wish there were more baristas and entrepreneurs opening up Good coffee places like these.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check out http://www.chiangmaicoffeeculture.com/ it shows lots of reviews by westerner about coffee shops in Chiang Mai

Far from complete,....these are just the ones that payed to get into the review...

Actually no cafe pays to be on the review of Chiang Mai Coffee Culture Review. We are a group of Thai and Farang who love coffee and want to share the great cafes of CM with others. That said we don't really waste our time reviewing terrible cafes, so if it isn't on the website, chances are it is not worth a visit.

The only paid advertising is the link to Flight of the Gibbon, who has helped sponsor the site to keep it alive (still looking for other good businesses to support us) ;)

And Off Road Pat - you try visiting all thousand and five cafes in Chiang Mai and then you will see why not every cafe is on there!

If you like coffee and cafes then look no further!

:D

Just check out http://www.chiangmaicoffeeculture.com/ it shows lots of reviews by westerner about coffee shops in Chiang Mai

Far from complete,....these are just the ones that payed to get into the review...

The reviews are honest and unpaid. We go and hang out at cafes the way some people visit bars, but we happen to like coffee. Just to hang out and catch up. My friend likes blogging so she puts everything in a blog to share and to keep like a coffee diary.

"Didn't your mother tell you, not to talk out of your other end?"

• 11 months later...

Just checked with them today and their prices are outrageous. Slightly more expensive for a bag of their Ristr8to blend than Jewel Cafe Singapore prices!!!

Will stick to Penang/Butterworth roasters...

Rist8to also sells imported beans (the most famous ones that every coffee aficionado knows). I think they also roast those beans themselves. They are really fanatic about it all. When we complimented the young man (who looked like he drank an enormous amount of his product) who had made our excellent lattes with very elaborate foam designs, it turned out he was the barrista champion of Thailand. My taste seems to have changed tho, I now prefer the best Thai coffees (when skillfully roasted and fresh) to my old favorites. That is, except for the superb Blue Mountain coffee my old coffee seller in Honolulu had last year. It really is in a class all by itself, and the casual use of just the name 'Blue Mountain' here in Thailand always brings a smile.......

Since Thailand is only a few decades into growing coffee. And not the beans, but the roasting is actually the most important, together with making a blend of both Arabica and Robusta roasted coffee beans, I would like to say Thai coffee in general is very average compared to countries where roasting and blending is done for centuries.

Iran a threat to the world, thousands dying, daily, in many countries as well as traffic fatalities mounting in Thailand along with slavery issues and new graves and you, you ask about coffee ? Oil riggers are too isolated I think !

Grab a cup of lighten the hell up mate.

Or stop drinking too much coffee, acts like speed you know, psychosis?

1) Pacamara just put up all of the prices as of today... 55 to 70 etc.

2) Ristr8tto needs to get a grip and move to a bigger place so people can actually relax vs the hectic compressed place they have.

3) My money is still on Fabulous Coffee Roasters / Ramida Coffee Moon Muang Soi 6 inside old city as the best coffee in Chiang Mai for the price, bar none.

Give me a lead on a 30 baht coffee with 21 grams of coffee in it (double shot) and Chok chai milk ( the quality stuff aka real milk vs that other factory sugared crap) that can be made right 19 out of 20 times (consistency) and I'd be shocked.

Street coffee prices for Barista grade coffee.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862043-coffee-shops-chiang-mai-2015/

1) Pacamara just put up all of the prices as of today... 55 to 70 etc.

2) Ristr8tto needs to get a grip and move to a bigger place so people can actually relax vs the hectic compressed place they have.

3) My money is still on Fabulous Coffee Roasters / Ramida Coffee Moon Muang Soi 6 inside old city as the best coffee in Chiang Mai for the price, bar none.

Give me a lead on a 30 baht coffee with 21 grams of coffee in it (double shot) and Chok chai milk ( the quality stuff aka real milk vs that other factory sugared crap) that can be made right 19 out of 20 times (consistency) and I'd be shocked.

Street coffee prices for Barista grade coffee.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862043-coffee-shops-chiang-mai-2015/

Hey do you know any place that ships their blends domestically? Looking for some nice medium roast beans with Ethiopian (Yirgacheffe), Sumatra or Java, Brazil, Colombia or PNG in it.

Found two in Penang/Butterworth but Malaysia post shipping fees make them not so much of a deal. Thanks.

Iran a threat to the world, thousands dying, daily, in many countries as well as traffic fatalities mounting in Thailand along with slavery issues and new graves and you, you ask about coffee ? Oil riggers are too isolated I think !

We can not control thousands dying. Can not control traffic fatalities. Can not control slavery issues. I am glad for the little things in life I can control, such as which coffee I will drink while discussing all the issues I can not control.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Starbuck's at Thapae Gate? I think their hot Latte's are the best around and it's nice enjoying it in a relatively "cheap charlie" free zone. Go ahead all you Starbuck's/McDonald haters, unload!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Starbuck's at Thapae Gate? I think their hot Latte's are the best around and it's nice enjoying it in a relatively "cheap charlie" free zone. Go ahead all you Starbuck's/McDonald haters, unload!

Have you actually tried any of the top 5 or so places in CM ? I was a Starbucks head for 10 years in another country until I got re-educated in better places.

It is nothing to do with snobbery, just chasing a better level of coffee is all.

Regarding consistency of supposed top 2,I found Pacamara are still all over the place with ice Latte, with hot latte consistent.....depending on who made it it was on a sliding scale from good to awful. They lost their mojo as I think they re-blended for the Thai tongue and I've heard it before, the Thais do not like what the westerners call a 'premium blend' they think it is burnt, over the top....I think Pacamara have made their blend blander for the locals. It is not the same as before.

Edited by freedomnow

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

do star bucks have a special cup

as drinkers always hold there little pinky out

Yes, it is quite important to hold the pinky out away from the cup at an approximately 80* angle (roughly the 2:30 position if you were looking at a clock).

This not only improves the taste and robustness of the espresso drink but it also lets others know you are a coffee snob.

Just kidding. i think its done simply because the small doppio cups are so tiny.