Faulty bird’s flight triggers bees attack on monks

Thaivisa News

Phrae: – Some 13 Buddhist monks yesterday received treatment for bee sting at the provincial hospital.

Phra Khru Phaowana Chetiyanukit, assistant abbot of Wat Phra That Cho Hae, was one of the victims attacked by the bees.

After being treated, the monk recounted the incident.

He said a flock of pigeons and thousands of bees have adopted the temple as their homes for years.

The bees built a nest under an abode’s roof inside the residential area of the monks while the pigeon would stay on the temple’s roof.

The birds, the bees and the monks have peacefully coexisted with the others.

Yesterday, the temple’s 27 monks were walking from the residential area to conduct an evening prayer at the Vihara, and their walking path would pass underneath the bees nest and where the birds perch.

Suddenly a group of birds flew off the roof. One veered off to hit the bees nest before resuming the flight.

Stirred up by the faulty flight, thousands of bees came out of their nest looking for culprits. They did not see any birds but the procession of monks near the nest.

They made a formation to zero in and attack the monks. The commotion ensued as the monks broke the procession to flee.

Peace returned after the bees got back to their nest following the attack on the monks.

In order to pacify the angry bees, all 27 monks had to leave the temple’s grounds to seek shelter at a nearby house.

Residents helped transporting the monks for treatment at the hospital.

The monks returned to the temple later in the evening to complete their prayer session, which was relocated to avoid passing through the bees nest.

TV's news headlines have reached new heights of downright crypticism.

I had to read this story after failing to get any sense from the headline, surely it should be flight not fight, even then it'a struggle to get around this image of a faulty bird. I had assumed it was some model bird gone astray, dodgy remote control!

I would have loved to have witnessed it, from a safe distance of course, it must have been a sight for sore eyes, the screeches and the flapping of orange robes. They weren't much like their master, his head was protected from the rain by a giant cobra and a charging elephant stopped in its tracks when it drew near Buddha meditating.........bees are different,it's another matter with bees.

Damn! Usually monks have the latest smart phones and on this one occasion there was no one to capture this moment? It would have got hundreds of thousands of views by now on Youtube if it had been recorded! What a missed opportunity!!

Update: Throngs of villagers almost immediately swamped the hospital, pushing aside staff as they rushed into the treatment room and frantically started searching the monks' bodies for possible lottery numbers recognizable in the bee sting patterns that covered the monks from head to toe.

Edited by Misterwhisper

Do these Thai buddhists monks take belief in a 'god' of any sort, per a supernatural power to intercede in some way on your personal needs of life?

I would say no, they don't. That said, it seems to me that of the few I've met, they'll do the bidding of the people as the people wish. If they believe an amulet or a blessing will help them, then they'll provide it for them, but that's not a guarantee that it will do anything at all unless the recipient believes it (sort of placebo). What the people want, and believe, they tend to get. The monk will shrug their shoulders and just say that they gave what they were asked for.

I can't really argue with that, however hypocritical it may appear on the surface.

Remember that Buddhism is not technically a religion since it has no deity. It has someone (actually several who reach that state) from which they take their example, but a religion I would say it is not.