PM Prayut says not his duty to advise politicians what they should do

webfact

PM says not his duty to advise politicians what they should do

8-5-2558-12-19-44-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said today that it was not his responsibility to tell or advise politicians to stop their movements or activities.

However, he warned that the politicians themselves should realize what they could do or could not do as they would be held accountable if they defied the law in which case they should not complain about it.

He also reprimanded politicians who demanded foreign intervention with Thailand’s domestic affairs.

Asked by a reporter whether he meant the UDD-affiliated Peace TV whose operating licence was revoked by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, the prime minister shrugged off the question saying “you can think about it yourself”.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-says-not-his-duty-to-advise-politicians-what-they-should-do

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-08

General Prayut doesn't need to tell or advise politicians to stop their movements or activities.

When they "disturb" him or HIS government, he just "invites" them in for an attitude adjustment meeting and a prolonged billeting at an army facility if they are slow in getting his message - this is not a democracy.

Me thinks the wheels are coming off the wagon. Prayut tells the unwashed masses what they may and may not do, say or think, but he cannot do the same for the politicians. Perhaps he is afraid of upsetting the rich and powerful too much.

Let's all hope he announces his resignation on the anniversary of this coup and turns things back over to the people. I can dream, right?

It seems he was unhappy with reds asking UN for help.

It's akin to being ship wrecked on an Island and drawing a help sign on the beach.

Calling the isolation and suffering " domestic"" affair is classic error .

The UN now will gladly get involved if he is saying they shouldn't or the hostage on the beach standing near a wrecked boat marooned pleas for some by drawing a sign on sand.

The mind numbing reverse psychology of saying "" it's not my duty to tell politicians what to do"" but pointing threats at them whilst they do it- is like a hostage taker saying "" they can go anytime they want"" to the police outside ( world) but we all know their hostages....a run for the door might end badly.

Same here.

This guy will be lucky to make Christmas ....imagine if the west arm the north and call them freedom fighters?

He is actually aiding their cause shutting down the press up there .

The Americans once the gloves come off will call it censorship and anti freedom of speech.

If they round up reds it's just a matter of time.

He needs to watch out for drones in the future it seems the preferred way to deal with guys like him

The world once amused at how stooge like his behaviour and speeches are.....a clown of sorts....now it's getting serious and action is in the wind

post-219560-0-68620700-1431120091_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

This is good coming from someone who never stops telling others what to do, say, act etc. and who has his nose in everything.

Hardly a day passes without a news item starting ' The PM orders or instructs ' or words to that effect.

Does he never delegate anything ?

Either the guy is an idiot or is long-game trolling the entire country. I mean, here's a guy who tells people how they should COOK RICE on TV.

smdh

His duty only extends to subverting the Constitution, kicking out the legitimate government and serving his hidden masters.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The first 2 sentences are very contradicting.

That was one of the things I first noticed about this @ss clown. In one of his first Friday monologues, he said to please leave the police alone to do their jobs, then immediately after urged people to help the police without being asked to.

"He also reprimanded politicians who demanded foreign intervention with Thailand’s domestic affairs"

Wonder if the man has heard the term "incestuous". His privileged class inbreds have not. With foreign monitoring, the party would be over. Chinese used foreigners to run departments before civil war. Singapore relies on the Gurkha . Thailand will always be a side show.

At the expense of promoting lively conversation, I don't think debate is allowed is it, maybe a quick attempt at understanding the situation.

- a coup was staged to overthrow the legitimate government of Thailand , again, about a year ago.

The reason ...to 'save the people'. Ok violence had to be stopped, agreed, but stopping violence with the threat of a gun and therefore more violence is not an answer.

Most of us 'foreigners' probably just thought oh well, and carried on. At first nothing much changed. I for one thought ok I don't like it, but it's not my country, let's just see how they get on fixing things.( saving the Thai people)

- one year on how has the country been saved?

All that seems to have happened apart from a few beach vendors being moved on to another beach and a few potential political opponents having been arrested, is that there has been an increase on the stranglehold of free speech and ultimate control. An amnesty introduced for himself and his friends ( amnesty for certain people...remember that? - I think that is called hypocrisy ) and seizing absolute power ( but then saying you can't tell people what to do)

Did the good general wake up one morning and think..." Ok today I will save the country all by myself"

No, military coups don't work like that.

And this is why he cannot "tell" people what to do.

One person does not invoke a coup d'état. It is a heavily planned military operation covering all potential outcomes, protecting the initiators, supplying funding and manpower etc. it is not a wake up one morning exercise and was probably months in the planning. Every possible outcome must be covered and the present legal encumbent must not be allowed access to the media, their supporters or the opportunity to rally any support. In many cases they are not even allowed to live. Thankfully that didn't happen here.

The coup leader, our general.?

Just a figurehead, no 'real' authority because he is told what to do, when to do it and what to say by the 'real' powerbrokers who are never seen. The people with the 'real' control.

That is how a coup d'état works.

And if somehow it does all go wrong then the finger of blame is pointed at the figurehead who is protected by an amnesty.

So who are the real 'powerbrokers' behind this?

We don't know or though there could be a few educated guesses, but it will be those who have most to lose, probably financially by allowing the legal government , like them or not, to continue.

In other coup d'etat's the figurehead is usually rewarded in one form or another for potentially destroying himself which could be the case if something does go wrong.

So let's just pause for a second and try and understand why what seems the biggest problem here, corruption, has not been tackled. Let's create a purely hypothetical situation.

Let's just isolate and look at just one of many financial lucrative operations.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, the girls involved, the men and women who go there and the bars who employ them are therefore breaking the law.

So, a lesser minion of the state protection service, or a private self appointed protection service, are 'allowed' to have maybe 20 bars with the girls from which to extort money in return for turning a blind eye. They in turn are 'allowed' to do this by a minion of higher rank who takes his share and in turn is 'allowed' to run this operation by higher-ups who take their share who in turn are 'allowed'...etc etc etc.

All the way up the chain. ( this is a hypothetical situation remember)

Money or to call it by it's real name, extortion and bribes, are passed up the chain of command and all in that chain are very happy, and wealthy, thank you very much.

But what happens if arrests are made for extortion at the lower levels.

Do they 'shop' those that allow them , bitterly angry of course they do, and then the exposure starts to go up the chain as the buck is passed until,some serious people are named.

So where does that stop.

Probably somewhere near the powerbrokers. Too near.

That has to be protected so no investigations in to this form of corruption are considered or undertaken.

That is how these things often work, even though this is a 'hypothetical' example.

So when we are told 'I cannot tell people what to do' he is actually being very honest. He can't because the figurehead makes no decisions at all other than those he is told to make.

A coup d'état history teaches us, will only end with one of three outcomes.

1- the country becomes a military 'totalitarian' state as in the case of Burma perhaps as an example.

2- the people finally wake up, protest, will not accept the situation and then the unthinkable happens.

Or

3- at first covert, but later possibly, military intervention from outside. And then Thailand becomes the focal point of another power struggle between East and west.

The latter is unlikely for two reasons firstly, there's no oil here ( that we know about) and two ...Bush and Blair are long gone. Though the Chinese and Putin are no doubt eyeing opportunities. North Korea won't be involved for obvious reasons.

There is a fourth possibility, return of control to the people through the democratic process, but that has never really happened and seems to be getting further away every day despite promises to the contrary.

So where does that leave us?

Well with number 1 I suppose

Thai people are largely peaceful , mai pen Rai people, so number 2 wouldn't be likely to happen. Most are not Buddhist by philosophy even though they claim to be because I don't think The Lord Buddha encouraged corruption and greed himself, so they will just carry on. Poor people will suffer, one million will go hungry every day, proper education will be for the rich ( because again history teaches us to subjugate a population just deny them education) kids will stay sick, old people with no support left to rot, corruption will be a predominant theme and the elite will prosper. The 'trash' ...how they have been referred to this week ....can just do as they are told.

And now I can here the pro coup saying. 'Well if you don't like it go home"

Yes that is an option for many of us and we take our money with us ( that will help an already beleaguered economy) but what about those that can't?

Some have children , wives, families, businesses. They just can't walk away and leave them.

I don't know if the General is a decent man or not. Maybe he is and would like to change things, but I don't think he is really the one that can do it.

Most of what is being said is long planned riddled with confusing rhetoric and prepared excuses.....We need a new constitution, oh were not ready we must delay, I think I will stay opinion polls tell me the people love me, I am taking absolute control of everything to save the country, someone primed to say 'another 5 years is a good idea'. All carefully planned to keep control but only with the General listening or maybe just told later.

Real authority lies elsewhere hidden away never to be seen or implicated.

So, is this a real coup d'état or did the general just wake up one morning and decide to save the world?

If the former then there is a real problem.

If the latter he'd better get his act together quickly and start doing something about 'his' people to save them as promised.

which is why the military rounded up a packet full of opposition politicians across the north and north east on May 22 2014... whistling.gif

And let them all go home freely over the following days.

You make it sound as if they are still all locked up.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said today that it was not his responsibility to tell or advise politicians to stop their movements or activities. Says the man who staged a coup. Okay fellow politicians it's not my duty to advise or tell you what to. Except you're not allowed to get together in goups of 5 or more to talk to each other. If you say anything negative about me you will come in from "re-adjustment".. etc etc You will cook your rice this way, You will write soaps the way I like them and so on. What a joke.

It seems he was unhappy with reds asking UN for help.

It's akin to being ship wrecked on an Island and drawing a help sign on the beach.

Calling the isolation and suffering " domestic"" affair is classic error .

The UN now will gladly get involved if he is saying they shouldn't or the hostage on the beach standing near a wrecked boat marooned pleas for some by drawing a sign on sand.

The mind numbing reverse psychology of saying "" it's not my duty to tell politicians what to do"" but pointing threats at them whilst they do it- is like a hostage taker saying "" they can go anytime they want"" to the police outside ( world) but we all know their hostages....a run for the door might end badly.

Same here.

This guy will be lucky to make Christmas ....imagine if the west arm the north and call them freedom fighters?

He is actually aiding their cause shutting down the press up there .

The Americans once the gloves come off will call it censorship and anti freedom of speech.

If they round up reds it's just a matter of time.

He needs to watch out for drones in the future it seems the preferred way to deal with guys like him

The world once amused at how stooge like his behaviour and speeches are.....a clown of sorts....now it's getting serious and action is in the wind

The UN will never get involved, gladly or otherwise. A fanciful thought on your behalf, is it? He won't last until Christmas? What is this fantasy, imagine if the west armed the north, really? So since the coup, the country's northern citizens have and are being subjected to torture, imprisonment and even murdered, so the west jumps to their aid, arms them and they become freedom fighters. The scenarios are getting wilder. Tell me, do you reside in Thailand, or is it Lalla land, I think the latter, if you believe that what you are now proffering is realistic appraisal of what will occur? If you do live here, has any of your freedoms been curtailed, if so, what and how? Why generalise, or is it that you're unable to articulate anything credible and just offer up a bunch of inane and fanciful thoughts?

Here's another hypothetical of yours. If they round up the reds, it's just going to be a matter of time, a matter of time for what? Then we have the Drones. From the sublime to the ridiculous. So between now and Christmas, which is in the future, he has to watch out for drones because it seems the preferred way to deal with guys like him? What is a guy like him? Do you know him, ever met him, had any dealings with him? No, I didn't think so, yet here you are making an irrational statement about what he needs to watch out for. Don't you know that drones are used to take out hardened terrorists such as those despots who lead ISIS, El Qaeda, Boko Haram and many other insurgencies. I hope you're not suggesting he is of the same ilk as those murderers?

Your playing with a lot of hypotheticals in your post and another is that you think the Yanks will take off the gloves and become involved. They do, from time to time, criticise others but if you believe this will cause a rift between them and Thailand, then once again you are dealing in fallacies, as you have done throughout your entire post. Yes, I know it's you opinion and you are free to express it, as I am free to criticise.

There are a couple of matters that you have raised, however, as they are unintelligible I am unable respond. In addition, I would suggest, that if you want to criticise the PM, be very careful of you wording, as I do not want to see the forum penalised or jeopardised in any way by someone who disparages someone without rhyme or reason, and uses derogatory remarks when doing so.

At the expense of promoting lively conversation, I don't think debate is allowed is it, maybe a quick attempt at understanding the situation.

- a coup was staged to overthrow the legitimate government of Thailand , again, about a year ago.

The reason ...to 'save the people'. Ok violence had to be stopped, agreed, but stopping violence with the threat of a gun and therefore more violence is not an answer.

Most of us 'foreigners' probably just thought oh well, and carried on. At first nothing much changed. I for one thought ok I don't like it, but it's not my country, let's just see how they get on fixing things.( saving the Thai people)

All that seems to have happened apart from a few beach vendors being moved on to another beach and a few potential political opponents having been arrested, is that there has been an increase on the stranglehold of free speech and ultimate control. An amnesty introduced for himself and his friends ( amnesty for certain people...remember that? - I think that is called hypocrisy ) and seizing absolute power ( but then saying you can't tell people what to do)

Did the good general wake up one morning and think..." Ok today I will save the country all by myself"

One person does not invoke a coup d'état. It is a heavily planned military operation covering all potential outcomes, protecting the initiators, supplying funding and manpower etc. it is not a wake up one morning exercise and was probably months in the planning. Every possible outcome must be covered and the present legal encumbent must not be allowed access to the media, their supporters or the opportunity to rally any support. In many cases they are not even allowed to live. Thankfully that didn't happen here.

Just a figurehead, no 'real' authority because he is told what to do, when to do it and what to say by the 'real' powerbrokers who are never seen. The people with the 'real' control.

And if somehow it does all go wrong then the finger of blame is pointed at the figurehead who is protected by an amnesty.

We don't know or though there could be a few educated guesses, but it will be those who have most to lose, probably financially by allowing the legal government , like them or not, to continue.

In other coup d'etat's the figurehead is usually rewarded in one form or another for potentially destroying himself which could be the case if something does go wrong.

So let's just pause for a second and try and understand why what seems the biggest problem here, corruption, has not been tackled. Let's create a purely hypothetical situation.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, the girls involved, the men and women who go there and the bars who employ them are therefore breaking the law.

So, a lesser minion of the state protection service, or a private self appointed protection service, are 'allowed' to have maybe 20 bars with the girls from which to extort money in return for turning a blind eye. They in turn are 'allowed' to do this by a minion of higher rank who takes his share and in turn is 'allowed' to run this operation by higher-ups who take their share who in turn are 'allowed'...etc etc etc.

Money or to call it by it's real name, extortion and bribes, are passed up the chain of command and all in that chain are very happy, and wealthy, thank you very much.

Do they 'shop' those that allow them , bitterly angry of course they do, and then the exposure starts to go up the chain as the buck is passed until,some serious people are named.

So where does that stop.

That has to be protected so no investigations in to this form of corruption are considered or undertaken.

That is how these things often work, even though this is a 'hypothetical' example.

So when we are told 'I cannot tell people what to do' he is actually being very honest. He can't because the figurehead makes no decisions at all other than those he is told to make.

1- the country becomes a military 'totalitarian' state as in the case of Burma perhaps as an example.

2- the people finally wake up, protest, will not accept the situation and then the unthinkable happens.

Or

3- at first covert, but later possibly, military intervention from outside. And then Thailand becomes the focal point of another power struggle between East and west.

The latter is unlikely for two reasons firstly, there's no oil here ( that we know about) and two ...Bush and Blair are long gone. Though the Chinese and Putin are no doubt eyeing opportunities. North Korea won't be involved for obvious reasons.

There is a fourth possibility, return of control to the people through the democratic process, but that has never really happened and seems to be getting further away every day despite promises to the contrary.

Thai people are largely peaceful , mai pen Rai people, so number 2 wouldn't be likely to happen. Most are not Buddhist by philosophy even though they claim to be because I don't think The Lord Buddha encouraged corruption and greed himself, so they will just carry on. Poor people will suffer, one million will go hungry every day, proper education will be for the rich ( because again history teaches us to subjugate a population just deny them education) kids will stay sick, old people with no support left to rot, corruption will be a predominant theme and the elite will prosper. The 'trash' ...how they have been referred to this week ....can just do as they are told.

Yes that is an option for many of us and we take our money with us ( that will help an already beleaguered economy) but what about those that can't?

Some have children , wives, families, businesses. They just can't walk away and leave them.

I don't know if the General is a decent man or not. Maybe he is and would like to change things, but I don't think he is really the one that can do it.

Most of what is being said is long planned riddled with confusing rhetoric and prepared excuses.....We need a new constitution, oh were not ready we must delay, I think I will stay opinion polls tell me the people love me, I am taking absolute control of everything to save the country, someone primed to say 'another 5 years is a good idea'. All carefully planned to keep control but only with the General listening or maybe just told later.

So, is this a real coup d'état or did the general just wake up one morning and decide to save the world?

If the latter he'd better get his act together quickly and start doing something about 'his' people to save them as promised.

Seems the promise of democracy has sailed now will come sanctions

So where does that stop.

Or

all good...but for one thing, you don't suggest or discuss WHY the coup took place....this may well have significant relevance to how the current regime will persist.

which is why the military rounded up a packet full of opposition politicians across the north and north east on May 22 2014... whistling.gif

And let them all go home freely over the following days.

You make it sound as if they are still all locked up.

and you make it sound like you're OK with arbitrarily rounding up people and detaining them in undisclosed locations... not only without justification, but obviously without any legal representation or contact to family, friends, or the outside world in general.

Is that something that you approve of?