550 Baht for a new card from Kasikorn!

It's like so many things in Thailand. No-one really knows the rules so they make something up. The poster who negotiated the fee down from 500 to 200 is a fine example. You have to argue for everything. I went into a Bangkok Bank branch near Pantip to get a new passbook as the one I had was full. They told me I had to go to my own branch in Silom which was too late to get to that day and meant a long trip back from the suburbs the next day. I asked why why why and of course they had no logical answer, and eventually a manager gave me a new book. Probably to get rid of me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think its down not only to packages but to staff serving.

I was charged 300 for Kasikorn card and am a proud owner of hello kitty card(pink) the only choice i was given

One of my staff was charged 550.

Krungsi Bank, i was charged 100 for lost card, my staff was charged 300.

May be have something to do with the balance of the account or may be how competent the bank employee is

Same here, very embarrassing.

I lost my card and the branch i visited did not have stock of the previous package which was 1600 baht so had to buy a new insurance policy for 2800 baht just to get a atm card sigh sigh sigh

What 'package' was this? Never heard of a 1600 baht package to get an atm card, please let us know

and i never heard of an insurance for an ATM card whistling.gif

Sorry, but if ever I need a replacement card due to loss, damage or just fair wear and tear and they told me there was a fee, I'd just close the account.......full stop.

If you wanted to prove a point, close the account, cash in hand, then ask to open a new account and of course a new free card.

Bt550 sounds like the annual fee on some of their more pricey cards. Here's the weblink to the fees for card replacement and annual fee...prices varies depending on which card you have.

speak to the manager, you should know what type of card you have. never heard of a fee for an ATM card. and would never get a thai credit card!

Welcome to Thailand...in Thailand they charge a fee(s) for debit cards where in western countries like the U.S. they do not. Different countries, different banking.

I forgot my Bangkok Bank debit card in the machine when I made a withdrawal just two weeks ago. I cancelled the card and when to my Bangkok Bank. I got a new card and did not pay a baht more for it. What is all this insurance crap?

I did the same with Bangkok Bank. Can it be something if you have a Credit Card instead of a Debit Card?

I forgot to take out my card in kasikorn bank at central festival in Chiang Mai.

My branche is in Naklua in Pattaya. Never the less, they calles to let me know they have my card.

When i went there to pick it up, the lady who had the card was on lunchbreak. They calles her and she returned from her lunch to hand over my card.

No charges, omly a copy of my passport.

When i opened my account at Naklua branch, there where no cost for the card and could have a second for free in case of lost or damage. So this is a totally differend story.

I had to renew my old K-bank deposit account debit card last November (came up on ATM screen please go to branch and renew card, or words to that effect) went to Jungceylon branch, Patong (account was opened in 2008/9 and same card used with no issues all this time) at first they tried to sell me the insurance package which I told them was not wanted, girl was nice enough, no ploblem Mr, have new card 300Bhat, and copy passport please - done and dusted. I then enquired for my mate, how much open new same deposit type account? she told me is 2000 bhat incl 12 month Insurance policy no have any other now for new customer was the reply...

It's like so many things in Thailand. No-one really knows the rules so they make something up. The poster who negotiated the fee down from 500 to 200 is a fine example. You have to argue for everything. I went into a Bangkok Bank branch near Pantip to get a new passbook as the one I had was full. They told me I had to go to my own branch in Silom which was too late to get to that day and meant a long trip back from the suburbs the next day. I asked why why why and of course they had no logical answer, and eventually a manager gave me a new book. Probably to get rid of me.

Actually they are right. You have to go to your branch where you opened an account to get your new passbook. And other branches shouldn't be giving you a new one. All my banks (SCB, kasikorn, bangkok, krugsri) tell their customers the same. Does it really matter why? They are only following the rules and banking regulations. I think you were being such a pain for them so they just gave you to get rid of you. Now that you have different branch on your new passbook, if you ever encounter any serious problem with your account such as fraudulent withdraw, you may have to run around and deal with extra complexities get things sorted out.

I never pay an annual fee for cards in Thailand, US or Hong Kong. Every year I get billed. Every year I call the card company and tell them politely that there are many "free" options out there and if they value my business they must drop the annual charge ... 100% of the time they do. Of course if they did not agree I would take my business elsewhere.

whistling.gif When I opened my Bangkok Bank retirement account (800K) I was given a ATM/debit card.

No charge....this was in 2010.

In 2012 I changed to a BE1st ATM/debit card. Cost me 300 Baht I believe to change to the Be1st card

Advantage was that the BE1st card also can be used in neighboring countries. I have used it in non Bangkok Bank ATMs in Vietnam, Laos, and Malaysia to get local money there.

Of course there is a small fee for that for using a local ATM in that country, it's usually 5 or 6 dollars equivalent.

I only use the ATM/debit card if I need emergency or "backup" local funds in a foreign country.

Someone told me, although I've never actually tried it, that a Bangkok Bank Be1st card can also be used in the U.S.

As far as I know I do not pay an annual fee for my Be1st ATM/debit card.

That Be 1st would be without a chip then.

I think you were scammed, to put it bluntly. Twice as it works out for you.

You don't have to buy an insurance package to get a debit card.

No offence meant...

you also dont have the right by law,

that the bank must give you a ATM card !!

Opened my account in Big C in Pattaya and they said to me i had to buy an insurance package for the debt card and got the card.........went to hadyai for a short holiday and my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out when i left ......went to the kasikorn branch where the card got eaten and they said to me sorry we do t have the atm card for that package and instead told me the only available atm is with another insurance package which is 2800......they did not change the bank book but filled in the form for the policy and gave me my card

Obligatory insurance packages eh?

You were had........twice!

Actually they are right. You have to go to your branch where you opened an account to get your new passbook. And other branches shouldn't be giving you a new one. All my banks (SCB, kasikorn, bangkok, krugsri) tell their customers the same. Does it really matter why? They are only following the rules and banking regulations. I think you were being such a pain for them so they just gave you to get rid of you. Now that you have different branch on your new passbook, if you ever encounter any serious problem with your account such as fraudulent withdraw, you may have to run around and deal with extra complexities get things sorted out.

Not true!!!

I got a new passbook @ BKK Bank in Korat and my account is in Chonburi...No problem.

I think a lot of the problem is the staff at the Bank do not want to do the work "LAZY"

I think you were scammed, to put it bluntly. Twice as it works out for you.

You don't have to buy an insurance package to get a debit card.

No offence meant...

you also dont have the right by law,

that the bank must give you a ATM card !!

Although he most certainly has the right to take his account to a bank that does not have such obligatory packages.

My ATM card cost me 200 baht....... why would I need insurance for it?

My wife opened an account @ kasikorn Bank and they wanted 1,750B for the ATM card, under my advice she told them to put it where the Sun dosnt shine. So they are doing it to Thai's also.

I opened a new account @ BKK Bank in Korat, wonderful & helpful staff. I got a proper Debit card with the chip that can be used world wide I think it cost 200B and I also got online banking. Works perfect.

Opened my account in Big C in Pattaya and they said to me i had to buy an insurance package for the debt card and got the card.........went to hadyai for a short holiday and my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out when i left ......went to the kasikorn branch where the card got eaten and they said to me sorry we do t have the atm card for that package and instead told me the only available atm is with another insurance package which is 2800......they did not change the bank book but filled in the form for the policy and gave me my card

Obligatory insurance packages eh?

You were had........twice!

the banks try and are sometimes successful because "one is born every minute" dry.png

We sure seem to be seeing a big increase of posts/threads regarding K-bank pushing their pricier debit cards along with insurance...pushing it in a way which makes it sound mandatory to the customer when it's not mandatory. Not a good practice except for higher profits. Now, yes, we also see similar posts regarding other banks but not that many and some of those sound more like a bank-customer/Thai-English miscommunication more than the bank attempting a hardline sell. But the number of posts talking K-bank seems to be frequent here lately.

Over the last year or so I've opened several savings accounts at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank and each time they pointed out their various debit cards and insurance, each time I said No, I just want the basic debit card and I have plenty of insurance already thank you very much. They then continued on to open the new account and issue the basic debit card...no insurance of any kind. A Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card with Bt200 annual fee (the Be1st Smart Debit card is Bt300/yr)....and a Krungsri Bank basic card with no annual fee but you must take their Bt19/month SMS service which totals to Bt228/year...I like the SMS service.

I think it's also wise to note that banks here operate province by province, not nationally.

Replacements cards, passbooks, withdrawals, payments etc requested at banks outside of the province of your own branch, will quite often incur a charge of some kind. Always check the terms and conditions before you complain.

If you move to a different province, you should also change your account to a branch within that province to avoid extra charges.

I think that is what may have happened in the OP's case, he applied for a new card at a branch in a different province to where his account is held.

Edited by Faz

heys guys, as OP i thought i would follow this up. I just called the kasikron customer service line, and the lovely lady told me i could go to any branch for a new card, irrespective of when it expired, and the price was 150 baht. I told her that the branch had wanted to charge me 550 baht, and she said that must be for the account fees for the year, all bundled into one payment. i knew i was paying 500 baht a year account fees when i first opened, so i guess the cost has gone up. i always thought they took this at the start of the year, but the lady checked my account and said that the fee hadnt been paid yet this year, so that must explain teh figure. she then also said that i had a K-Max card, and this included insurance, but since my other card is a kasikorn platinum, that i dont need insurance, so could ask for normal debit card, which would cost me 200 baht. so i am off to the branch now with my new found knowledge to see if it corresponds with what the branch fancy telling me today :)

A couple of months ago, I bought a 2nd card from Phetchabun Kasikorn Bank for 300 Baht, and the next day decided to do the same at Pattaya Kasikorn.but when I asked the bloke how much, he said 800 Baht, and I laughed and told him to forget it as his same bank in Phetchabun the day before was 300 Baht. Seems they'll try anything for a few Baht profit EH?

Typical! Sods law.

I reply to this thread, praising K-Banks Platinum account and I lost my card.

So thats 4 cards this year, one forgotten PIN, two missing cards and a cracked card, which would have cost 1200B approx - So I got my moneys worth out of the account.

Something else Kasikorn has the edge over - they don't ask for a police report, which BBK along with other banks ask for when you lose your card.

Im unsure why they ask for a 20B police report as the conversation at the police station runs

"Where did you lose it ?"

"Well, I don't know. If I knew that, then it wouldn't be lost would it"

"well where did you see it last"

"in my pocket"

I stupidly picked up a Personal accident pack of the desk and started to read the back to see the deal - fatal - the girl was like a pit bull and wouldn't let up - trying to get me to sign up today - I actually want to take this plan, but at my leisure. I guess the commission or targets mean so much to these girls.

Kasikorn are worse than you describe. If a Farang wishes to open an account with Kasikorn they tell the potential customer that 1) they have to make a deposit of THB 10,000 2) they have to pay THB 800 for an ATM card and 3) they have to take out an accident insurance policy which cots circa THB 3,000. Their web site says that you have to deposit only THB 500. I pointed this out to them and even the cashier didn't know the rules and phoned her head office and I spoke to them and pointed out what they were advertising and they relented and said they would accept THB 500 and I didn't have to pay THB 800 for a card ot take out accident insurance.

Kasikorn are worse than you describe. If a Farang wishes to open an account with Kasikorn they tell the potential customer that 1) they have to make a deposit of THB 10,000 2) they have to pay THB 800 for an ATM card and 3) they have to take out an accident insurance policy which cots circa THB 3,000. Their web site says that you have to deposit only THB 500. I pointed this out to them and even the cashier didn't know the rules and phoned her head office and I spoke to them and pointed out what they were advertising and they relented and said they would accept THB 500 and I didn't have to pay THB 800 for a card ot take out accident insurance.

I guarantee you the cashier knew the bank's polices, but the branch manager has probably modified those policies for profit/greed (i.e., push the pricier cards, insurance, etc.)....the cashier is only doing what she is instructed to do...which she must do to keep her job. The cashier probably just called someone else right in the branch asking (probably 3 desks over) asking for guidance on how to handle this farang that not rolling-over so easy. It's all scripted out.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My SCB card became brittle with age and to prevent an ATM machine from eating it went to my home branch for a replacement. The nice young lady told me that it would be 500 THB to replace my card

The price dropped down to a more reasonable 200 THB when I pointed out that it clearly stated on the card that it was the property of SCB and so it was not my card that needed replacing, but theirs

This is a great point.

The banks are on a big push to sell insurance,

and they've now figured out a way to tie it in with the ATM cards.

When they tried to do this to me, I kindly asked to speak with the branch manager,

who in turn informed me that the account personnel just misunderstood the fact that I was just seeking a simple ATM card.

The cost for the replacement was just 200 bht.

Several years back when I was doing English training at corporations,

one of my clients was a bank, and there they informed me that half the cost of the ATM card goes to the teller or personnel which sells it to you.

Now a bigger chunk is on the line when they can convince you into purchasing insurance along with the ATM card.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out "

I think I understand why they want you to pay for insurance.

The insurance doesn't cover the card being damaged or lost, it's accident insurance they are selling.