Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

If this had happened in my (U.S) country he would have gotten a looooooooooong prison sentence,not a slap on the wrist. Thank God I am a Christian,and life means something to me.

im not a christian and let me tell you sonny life means just as much to me thank.you...a pathetic attempt.by you what has faith got to do with driving.....

He is not taking about faith per say he is talking about the value ''a life'' has within his religion. Try studying Buddhism and its perception on human life before you call people pathetic.

why did he mention it then brains and why do i have to study fairy tales to know how to drive,your the pathetic troll on here,and yes your baiting got a reply from me.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this had happened in my (U.S) country he would have gotten a looooooooooong prison sentence,not a slap on the wrist. Thank God I am a Christian,and life means something to me.

im not a christian and let me tell you sonny life means just as much to me thank.you...a pathetic attempt.by you what has faith got to do with driving.....

He is not taking about faith per say he is talking about the value ''a life'' has within his religion. Try studying Buddhism and its perception on human life before you call people pathetic.

why did he mention it then brains and why do i have to study fairy tales to know how to drive,your the pathetic troll on here,and yes your baiting got a reply from me.

Edited by Larry001

Aaaaaaahhh...the everpleasant Thai- apologists with their everpleasant logic of "it happens elsewhere , so..."!

Guess what, dippsticks? It is wrong anywhere else it happens as well!

But again and very slowly for those who still don't get it: this is NOT the ElsewhereVisa- forum and what happened in THIS case ...you know...the one in Thailand... is laughable and horribly wrong!

Quite a number of posters on this thread seem to be operating under the false assumption that any time a person is killed or injured in an automobile accident, the only suitable remedy is to send the negligent party to prison. That's not how it works, either in Thailand or in the West. In the vast majority of automobile accidents caused by negligent driving, only in the most egregious cases are people incarcerated or fined large sums of money.

In the above case, the truck driver was charged with reckless driving. The criminal penalties for reckless driving in California are:

1. c) Except as otherwise provided in Section 40008, persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or ...
  2. CA Codes (veh:23100-23135)
    The driver in this case received a fine of 7500 Bht and a two year jail sentence, which was reduced by half because he admitted his fault. This appears to be generally in line with the CA criminal penalties.
    The difference in the West is that because most people carry higher levels of insurance and/or have higher amounts of personal assets, the injured party can sue and recover damages in civil court in addition to the criminal penalties charged by the state. Those same options are available in Thailand, it's just that the available insurance limits are not as high, and on average, people aren't as rich as they are in the West. If you were injured or killed by a negligent uninsured driver who had no personal assets in the West, chances are the outcome would not be that much different than what happened in this case.

What is the fine for riding a bicycle on a highway? Or is it something one just does at their own risk?

If I'm on the highway and a bicycle cuts me off getting fined 7500 Baht is going to piss me off. Pay the police and then fix my legal car... What a joke. I hope Thailand start to deport people who use highways for illegal actions. It harms everyone.

Aaaaaaahhh...the everpleasant Thai- apologists with their everpleasant logic of "it happens elsewhere , so..."!

But again and very slowly for those who still don't get it: this is NOT the ElsewhereVisa- forum and what happened in THIS case ...you know...the one in Thailand... is laughable and horribly wrong!

How sad that one can be so biased towards Thai related matters that one blatantly ignores the facts to make their judgments and presumptions.

And this is why the entire planet laughs at Thailand's judges, from Johannesburg, to San Paulo, to Auckland, to Bombay, to Athens, to Toronto. They are the laughingstock of the entire planet. There is not one hint of cajones, amongst the bunch. Some of the weakest men and women in the world. They have no understanding whatsoever of the concept of deterrent.

What is the fine for riding a bicycle on a highway? Or is it something one just does at their own risk?

If I'm on the highway and a bicycle cuts me off getting fined 7500 Baht is going to piss me off. Pay the police and then fix my legal car... What a joke. I hope Thailand start to deport people who use highways for illegal actions. It harms everyone.

I am not sure if there is any laws about what type of vehicles are allowed on Thai highways?

You hardly see a sign on the roads , its more like drive AYOR.

The cyclist knew he was taking a chance , and his wife and little kid were with him. If I was his friend I would try to change his mind about this trip.

Edited by balo

I am not sure if there is any laws about what type of vehicles are allowed on Thai highways?

You hardly see a sign on the roads , its more like drive AYOR.

The cyclist knew he was taking a chance , and his wife and little kid were with him. If I was his friend I would try to change his mind about this trip.

Good on both of you for putting forward the idea that "it takes two to tango."

Many people who write these "hang that Thai at dawn" pieces do not want to acknowledge a sad reality ... there is a change that the bike rider had fault in this too.

Some peopel write as though the Thai driver set his sights on them, and drove over them on purpose. Really. That is how some postings sound. Few even acknowledge that the word "accident" has a meaning, and it implies "without fault."

Few drivers in the world are socialized and aware of roadside traffic as Thai drivers. we have all seen the circus on the other side of the white line. Motorcycles going the wrong way. Vegetable carts with thier wheels in the trafic lane, cars passing trucks on the shoulder .. on and on and on ... In other words, a Thai truck driver is very aware that on the shoulder, there is another lane full of crazy drivers. Meaning - he is probably better at seeing and avoiding things over there than Foreign drivers.

None of us were there. We do not know if the bike was going around a pot hole, got caught in a crosswind, got a flat and swerved, and the dozens of other things that could happen to get a bike in harm's way. (I rode my bike half way across America ... it is pretty risky to get on a highway.)

Before you all go nuts .. i am not saying it was the bike's fault ...

You see, there is a time to be honest and say 'This sucks. This sucks SO MUCH! That bike guy was inspirational! Why was there an accident?"

And focus on the word "accident"

If a person takes his children out on the highway, inches from death every 10 seconds, and something bad happens .. he has to own that risk / reward curve.

Let him rest in peace. let the truck driver move on with this life, and the sorrow of killing so many good people.

Stop making all Thai people villains and bad. They are not all perfect, and neither are we ....

This is why so may of us end our writing by saying "If Thailand is so awful and you are so "together' ... why not just pack up and go?" I am confident that if you go to a restaurant and they feed you rotten fish, you leave. If a car is garbage, you get rid of it. If a dog bites your kid, you shoot it. On and on.

Why,. really, we want to know .. why .. do you live in a place you hate? Are you all trapped here? There are so many wonderful places in this world, and many are within driving distance of Thailand .. or a cheap flight!!! How about The Philippines? They speak English, love Jesus, and have all the "good things' Thailand has. Why don't you go there? (Please) It looks to be your cup of tea.

Honestly, tell us .. why do you stay in this place you loath?

Ill willingly buy you a Thai bicycle for that comment

<><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><<

Thank You! I knew it was well thought out and well written, but really...a new bicycle .. i accept!

Please let me know when you are free over the weekend and i can meet you at the bike shop!

You are too kind!

See you soon !!!

Wow. Thia Visa people really are special !

it will be under the front wheels of my pick upwink.png

and lets BALANCE this up with "how many" are killed in Thailand this way and the UK? I think Thailand is going to be the "hub" of this type of "accident"

Also im pretty sure in the UK insuring the next car they own would be almost impossible, the sentence would have to be fulfilled they really would have to attend etc etc Thailand????????

"Smith was also banned from driving for two years, ordered to take an extended driving test and must carry out 200 hours of unpaid work."

Then we have the types of driving where you kill, theres a difference between reckless and due care and attention any sign of booze and you'd be banged up.....Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_without_due_care_and_attention

Edited by kannot

An important part of the original article was omitted:

His Singaporean wife Ng-Poh Leng, 40, and their son currently reside in Khon Kaen as the case will proceed to Civil Court. The family is still negotiating compensation with Thiwarat's insurance agency.

However, Col. Wanat said the driver has offered THB100,000 of his own money to the family. Ng-Poh Leng also showed sympathy to the driver who could barely afford the money.

Regarding the California penal code sited by one poster, there is a difference between just reckless driving and reckless driving that causes bodily harm or death. The Thai driver may have just been convicted of reckless driving here but in California he would probably have gotten reckless driving resulting in a death. Also, he was assigned jail time but it was suspended. I don't think jail time is always appropriate but if you are convicted of actions such as this that result in death then something more than just a small fine is warranted. Thoughtfully structured and monitored community service of at least one to two years that is geared to the cause of the offense would at least have the offender give something back to the community. I'm speaking also of the HISO teen who killed nine--her case is even worse and she could certainly benefit from a few years of monitored service. And, no stand ins!

Thank You! I knew it was well thought out and well written, but really...a new bicycle .. i accept!

Please let me know when you are free over the weekend and i can meet you at the bike shop!

You are too kind!

See you soon !!!

Opps, sorry I did not understand that you are a homicidal maniac who might do well to seek professional help and medication.

Run over a person becase they do not agree that "accidents happen"

I can only imagine your reaction when something important / bad comes up ... not an incident you have zero to do with.

Please tell us you do not own a firearm. THAT would be frightening.

Please remember those three little words that mean so much:

SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP

You are too kind!

See you soon !!!

Maybe it really was you after all who ran over your neighbor's dog.

Edited by Gecko123

How sad that one can be so biased towards Thai related matters that one blatantly ignores the facts to make their judgments and presumptions.

Okay, Mr. Neeranam

explain to me, what is biased about finding this "fine" grossly small?

I would find any THB 7.500 (or equal) fine gross, anywhere in the world, in similar cases if it was handed out to any person of any nationality!

But guess what: that is not , what is being discussed here!

This person happened to be a Thai, the incident happened in Thailand, where I reside and therefor find this case way more interesting than a case in Somalia, Outer Mongolia or any other state for that matter!

So stick your condescending BS where the sun doesn't shine!

Thank you!

This forum is for bashing Thailand..Not US, UK and western countries...Stay on topic!smile.png Jokes aside. I agree with the most of your posts here.And think that sometimes just words are not enough to explain obvious to some persons. With good old stile kick they will understand and accept your point of view much faster!

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?

This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

The headline reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500"

The first Post to this thread reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist goes free"

(AGAIN! - for the 3rd time!) - The first line of the article reads:-

"KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended."

Just because something is mentioned "once" in an article makes it untrue does it? How many time do you need to be told before you accept what is in black and white before your eyes? Once again, I was man enough to apologise to you for the fact that I was mistaken in another matter, which you did not even acknowledge.

(#Post 116 if you care to refer to it)

Will you now do me the same service, and apologise to me for the fact that you are mistaken in this case?

Edited by sambum

No measure of reparation following the revoked sentence. Where is the justice?

The drivers willingness to offer money may appease the victims family somehow but a 7,500B fine does not suffice?

His monetary offer appears to stand separate from the court decisions ruling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No doubt the driver will be forever tormented but, how can he and drivers in this country kill, culpable vehicular homicide or genuine accident have the ability to walk away with little consequence and potentially drive again shortly thereafter?

In many cases here, the Thai legal systems "light verdicts" do not go so far as to hold people suitably accountable.

I'm sorry but aside of his monetary offer, a small fine and suspended sentence is not enough of a deterrent.

Edited by Blackfox

No measure of reparation following the revoked sentence. Where is the justice?

The drivers willingness to offer money may appease the victims family somehow but a 7,500B fine does not suffice?

His monetary offer appears to stand separate from the court decisions ruling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the article linked in the OP, they haven't even started the civil case, where the real money will be decided. It also mentions the driver's insurance company is negotiating a settlement already.

The 7500 baht is the fine from the criminal case.

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?
This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

The headline reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500"

The first Post to this thread reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist goes free"

(AGAIN! - for the 3rd time!) - The first line of the article reads:-

"KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended."

Just because something is mentioned "once" in an article makes it untrue does it? How many time do you need to be told before you accept what is in black and white before your eyes? Once again, I was man enough to apologise to you for the fact that I was mistaken in another matter, which you did not even acknowledge.

(#Post 116 if you care to refer to it)

Will you now do me the same service, and apologise to me for the fact that you are mistaken in this case?

No numbers on Thai visa app. If you're referring to 'farang' I most certainly thanked you for your correction there.

But sorry, I don't believe the 'suspended' to be correct. I must admit I don't always believe what is 'printed', even less so here where journalistic quality is abismal.