Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course the Thai truck driver didn't intend to kill the poor biker.

But it raises an interesting question, to what extent are we legally and morally responsible, when we get behind the wheel??

Guess we all have had some near misses, when we lacked concentration for a couple of seconds when driving.

Normally and thankfully nothing happens, but if luck not had been on our side, we could have been in the same situation as the truck driver.

So in case of a pure accident (no alcohol, no drugs, no mobile), does it really serve any purpose to sentence the driver to jail time and potentially spoil the life of another person and his family?

Don't have the answer, just asking the question. Appreciate your thoughts........................coffee1.gif

yes, he have to go in jail like in western countries !!

reckless driving he will and didn't once,

he will do it again,

so he have to get panished and educated,

but first at lease 5 years behind bars that he learn to think !!

he will do it again,

I'll bet you'd sing a different tune if it were you, your wife, your brother, or your kid driving the truck.

Here's a sad fact. Accidents happen, even to good people. Sometimes the results are tragic, and life isn't fair that way.

Compensation should be made, but a 5 year prison sentence isn't called for. If it were, I'd never drive in Thailand again. It could be me (or any one of us), with just a 2 second lapse in focus.

Edited by impulse

he will do it again,

I'll bet you'd sing a different tune if it were you, your wife, your brother, or your kid driving the truck.

Here's a sad fact. Accidents happen, even to good people. Sometimes the results are tragic, and life isn't fair that way.

Compensation should be made, but a 5 year prison sentence isn't called for. If it were, I'd never drive in Thailand again. It could be me (or any one of us), with just a 2 second lapse in focus.

There are "accidents" & there is "reckless driving". My personal observations from 15 years of driving in this country are that there is an incredibly enormous amount of reckless driving. See it many times a day. People need to learn to drive here. Drive recklessly, FACE THE FREAKING CONSEQUENCES!!!!!

Edited by MESmith

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?
This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

The headline reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500"

The first Post to this thread reads:-

"Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist goes free"

(AGAIN! - for the 3rd time!) - The first line of the article reads:-

"KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended."

Just because something is mentioned "once" in an article makes it untrue does it? How many time do you need to be told before you accept what is in black and white before your eyes? Once again, I was man enough to apologise to you for the fact that I was mistaken in another matter, which you did not even acknowledge.

(#Post 116 if you care to refer to it)

Will you now do me the same service, and apologise to me for the fact that you are mistaken in this case?

No numbers on Thai visa app. If you're referring to 'farang' I most certainly thanked you for your correction there.

But sorry, I don't believe the 'suspended' to be correct. I must admit I don't always believe what is 'printed', even less so here where journalistic quality is abismal.

Re "farang" I would be obliged if you could show me where you "thanked " me - I can't see it.

Re your second sentence, does your lack of belief stretch to the following, or maybe the driver is making the offer of 100,000 baht from his jail cell!!!:-

An important part of the original article was omitted:

His Singaporean wife Ng-Poh Leng, 40, and their son currently reside in Khon Kaen as the case will proceed to Civil Court. The family is still negotiating compensation with Thiwarat's insurance agency.

However, Col. Wanat said the driver has offered THB100,000 of his own money to the family. Ng-Poh Leng also showed sympathy to the driver who could barely afford the money.

he will do it again,

There are "accidents" & there is "wreckless driving". My personal observations from 15 years of driving in this country are that there is an incredibly enormous amount of wreckless driving. See it many times a day. People need to learn to drive here. Drive wrecklessly, FACE THE FREAKING CONSEQUENCES!!!!!

Think you mean "reckless" driving not "wreckless" driving, but there again.....! clap2.gif

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?
This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

"KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended."

Just because something is mentioned "once" in an article makes it untrue does it? How many time do you need to be told before you accept what is in black and white before your eyes? Once again, I was man enough to apologise to you for the fact that I was mistaken in another matter, which you did not even acknowledge.

Will you now do me the same service, and apologise to me for the fact that you are mistaken in this case?

No numbers on Thai visa app. If you're referring to 'farang' I most certainly thanked you for your correction there.

But sorry, I don't believe the 'suspended' to be correct. I must admit I don't always believe what is 'printed', even less so here where journalistic quality is abismal.

Re "farang" I would be obliged if you could show me where you "thanked " me - I can't see it.

Re your second sentence, does your lack of belief stretch to the following, or maybe the driver is making the offer of 100,000 baht from his jail cell!!!:-

His Singaporean wife Ng-Poh Leng, 40, and their son currently reside in Khon Kaen as the case will proceed to Civil Court. The family is still negotiating compensation with Thiwarat's insurance agency.

However, Col. Wanat said the driver has offered THB100,000 of his own money to the family. Ng-Poh Leng also showed sympathy to the driver who could barely afford the money.

Sorry, can't with TV app, and won't be on desktop till Sunday. But this really should be easy to find( unless of course deleted by mods for being off topic). But I thanked, remarked your source for quote was missing and remarked that I have in my time here never heard a Thai call an Asian 'farang'.

he will do it again,

There are "accidents" & there is "wreckless driving". My personal observations from 15 years of driving in this country are that there is an incredibly enormous amount of wreckless driving. See it many times a day. People need to learn to drive here. Drive wrecklessly, FACE THE FREAKING CONSEQUENCES!!!!!

Think you mean "reckless" driving not "wreckless" driving, but there again.....! clap2.gif

Can't get wreckless eric out my mind when it comes to spelling that word.....

There are "accidents" & there is "reckless driving". My personal observations from 15 years of driving in this country are that there is an incredibly enormous amount of reckless driving. See it many times a day. People need to learn to drive here. Drive recklessly, FACE THE FREAKING CONSEQUENCES!!!!!

Can't disagree with you there. But it has to be decided on a case by case basis, looking at what happened, and judging it according to the driving standards of this country, not my standards, not your standards, and not the standards of the country of the victim. I hope the judge got all the relevant information, and made a wise decision based on what really happened. I wasn't there- at the scene or at the trial.

And I'm certainly not going to judge the guy's driving (and second guess the judge's decision) based on a 10 sentence, poorly worded article in local news.

No, it wasn't an ACCIDENT. Same with the HISO teenager. They were both negligent. The truck driver, however, seems to be conducting himself far better than the spoiled teenager. In both cases I think they should be assigned community service for at least a year. A good rule of thumb would be the same amount of community service as the suspended jail time. It's easy to pay a fine and walk away. More money can be earned. Lost time cannot be regained and it's proper in my opinion for the guilty to put in some community time to make up for the time they took away from the dead victims.

No measure of reparation following the revoked sentence. Where is the justice?

The drivers willingness to offer money may appease the victims family somehow but a 7,500B fine does not suffice?

His monetary offer appears to stand separate from the court decisions ruling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the article linked in the OP, they haven't even started the civil case, where the real money will be decided. It also mentions the driver's insurance company is negotiating a settlement already.

The 7500 baht is the fine from the criminal case.

Am I missing something here? I read the story then I try to get more of the story and to be honest there wasn't. I could not find anything about whether it was a accident or reckless but that the driver confessed so he got a lighter sentence and fine. Why did he confess and what did he confess to?

For sure Thailand laws regarding these manners are so much different, personally these differences is why they continue year after year, millions to Billions of baht to help improve things they just keep improving in their ranking to number 2 now in the world. What also is different is the money they put on lives here.

In the U.S. we need reform since anyone can sue for anything here in Thailand you can't sue for shit, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get more in the Civil trial. Most Insurance general coverage is 300,000 max per death just like many health policy. The driver has already offer up 100,000 of his own money and the reason the family is still negotiating with the company is not surprising. If the accident was not high profile they wouldn't even be negotiating.

Maybe for general purpose, someone can tell me what actually happen? .What I do know is as noted Accident do happen but day after day we read about these types of accident it seems never ending. The end result people lives are destroyed whether they are the victims or not. I personally blame this government for allowing the non-enforcement of the laws already on the books. It is not that they can't drive they have been condition to drive in a reckless like manner which is the norm this is all they know. They are so desensitized to death and accident they have no idea who is at fault and nether do the police from my experience. There will never be in my lifetime a car technology that would prevent a 16 year Loas girl from being cut in half by a Porsche traveling 120 Km/H in a small Soi, never a device that can control the negligence habits of a human being. The answer has always been at their finger tips of this government and that is EDUCATION AND ENFORCEMENT AND THIS GOVERNMENT DOES NOT HAVE THE FORTITUDE TO ENFORCE THE LAWS THEY CREATED!

Edited by thailand49

The drivers willingness to offer money may appease the victims family somehow but a 7,500B fine does not suffice?

His monetary offer appears to stand separate from the court decisions ruling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the article linked in the OP, they haven't even started the civil case, where the real money will be decided. It also mentions the driver's insurance company is negotiating a settlement already.

Understood Impulse.

Perhaps I was a little impulsive.

The 7,500B fine issued from criminal court is still well short in my opinion.

Negotiating a civil settlement is one thing but how about accountability aside from monetary compensation?

Understood Impulse.

Perhaps I was a little impulsive.

The 7,500B fine issued from criminal court is still well short in my opinion.

Negotiating a civil settlement is one thing but how about accountability aside from monetary compensation?

Reasonable question(s), and we may all be scratching our heads even after the civil proceedings. But I'll wait and see...

Sorry, can't with TV app, and won't be on desktop till Sunday. But this really should be easy to find( unless of course deleted by mods for being off topic). But I thanked, remarked your source for quote was missing and remarked that I have in my time here never heard a Thai call an Asian 'farang'.

You still haven' t answered my question, but look forward to hearing it on Sunday. However, I hardly think that anybody who calls the standard of journalism here "abismal" is qualified to criticise it! (or "sudpended" for that matter!)

Today, driving south from Chiang Mai to Lamphun, I witnessed a dual fataltity accident. Dead bodies, sprawled on the road... bled, dead, corpses.

In this country, it does not mean.....<insert your own explative>.

About two kilometer beyond the scene, the traffic was slow, backed up by the accident. My car was 'pushed asideways' by a two decker tour bus traveling in on the shoulder (where the motorcycles are suppose to ride) at about 65KPH (traffic staying on the two south-bound lanes were traveling about 50. Behind the SOB was a group of other SUV, Hilux Truck, and other larger vehicles right in his wake.

This is the mindset of Thai drivers. At least 25 to 50% in total disregard of human life.

"Hey man, you're just a <deleted> foreigner guest here. Live with it!"

No! Maybe it's time for world opinion to come down and visit!

Personally, I don't think this is a safe tourist destination. As an expat, I understand the risks. As a tourist, you shouldn't have to be willing to risk you life to enjoy your vacation. But, any tourist that comes here does exactly that. Planes, even with the current bad press, are probably the safest option. Anything on road and rail - Every damn day, we are bombarded with casualty reports. Since when has this been a war zone. Not even during Vietnam! But the road casualties, traffic casualties, rail casualites are higher! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Wake up!

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

You still haven' t answered my question, but look forward to hearing it on Sunday. However, I hardly think that anybody who calls the standard of journalism here "abismal" is qualified to criticise it! (or "sudpended" for that matter!)

So non native speakers or people trying to give info from a mobile device should not criticize.

Sorry, find the post yourself.

Ok,ok...it was an accident!

Explain the following:it was bright day-light. The bicycle was towing a trailer, making the whole vehicle about the lenght of a small car.

I assumes, with the trailer in tow, he was not going very fast! And he had posters and cardboard all over.

The whole incident happened just after a checkpoint and the guy was no cycling in the middle of the road. yet the car was fast enough to kill him.

In the original article, it was said, that the car "served" across the road an hit him!

We are not talking dark night, rainy night, single cyclist, wrong side of the road!

We are talking slow moving vehicle, widely visible in bright daylight!

Accident my behind!

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

The only thing embarrassing here is your post!!

Read and think:

>>The Criminal Code of Canada does not have a specific statute for vehicular homicide, but has a series of provisions covering driving offences causing death, among them:

• dangerous driving causing death
  • criminal negligence causing death
  • failure to stop for police causing death
  • street racing causing death
  • impaired driving causing death
  • hit and run driving causing death

The maximum penalty for dangerous driving causing death, absent any of the remaining 5 elements mentioned above, is 14 years' imprisonment. The maximum penalty is otherwise life imprisonment. Anyone sentenced to life imprisonment for a Criminal Code driving offence is eligible to apply for parole after serving 7 years, but there is no guarantee of parole.<<

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

So the posters here claiming, that the cost of taking a human life here is extremely low, are absolutely spot on!!

You are quoting what the Canadian justice system "can" impose. What the actual sentences are, we are constantly complaining about being far too lenient.

a lot of suspended sentences and no jail time. Sure license revoked for 6 months, but sentences back in Canada are very light, not dissimilar to here.

I mean we are a country who is letting someone who hacked a person's head off on a bus and then ate his eyeballs in front of other passengers out on day release.

So non native speakers or people trying to give info from a mobile device should not criticize.

Sorry, find the post yourself.

They shouldn't criticise the standard of journalism by calling it "abismal"! But it's OK, I get your drift - no apology, no answers, no post, no point in further discussion.

Edited by sambum

Am I missing something here? I read the story then I try to get more of the story and to be honest there wasn't. I could not find anything about whether it was a accident or reckless but that the driver confessed so he got a lighter sentence and fine. Why did he confess and what did he confess to?

For sure Thailand laws regarding these manners are so much different, personally these differences is why they continue year after year, millions to Billions of baht to help improve things they just keep improving in their ranking to number 2 now in the world. What also is different is the money they put on lives here.

In the U.S. we need reform since anyone can sue for anything here in Thailand you can't sue for shit, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get more in the Civil trial. Most Insurance general coverage is 300,000 max per death just like many health policy. The driver has already offer up 100,000 of his own money and the reason the family is still negotiating with the company is not surprising. If the accident was not high profile they wouldn't even be negotiating.

Maybe for general purpose, someone can tell me what actually happen? .What I do know is as noted Accident do happen but day after day we read about these types of accident it seems never ending. The end result people lives are destroyed whether they are the victims or not. I personally blame this government for allowing the non-enforcement of the laws already on the books. It is not that they can't drive they have been condition to drive in a reckless like manner which is the norm this is all they know. They are so desensitized to death and accident they have no idea who is at fault and nether do the police from my experience. There will never be in my lifetime a car technology that would prevent a 16 year Loas girl from being cut in half by a Porsche traveling 120 Km/H in a small Soi, never a device that can control the negligence habits of a human being. The answer has always been at their finger tips of this government and that is EDUCATION AND ENFORCEMENT AND THIS GOVERNMENT DOES NOT HAVE THE FORTITUDE TO ENFORCE THE LAWS THEY CREATED!

you can sue in Thailand.What makes you think otherwise?

Explain the following:it was bright day-light. The bicycle was towing a trailer, making the whole vehicle about the lenght of a small car.

I assumes, with the trailer in tow, he was not going very fast! And he had posters and cardboard all over.

The whole incident happened just after a checkpoint and the guy was no cycling in the middle of the road. yet the car was fast enough to kill him.

In the original article, it was said, that the car "served" across the road an hit him!

We are not talking dark night, rainy night, single cyclist, wrong side of the road!

Accident my behind!

Another paranoid Thai Basher.

So it was intentional ?

They are all out to get us!

It's a joke as is the entire Thai laws and regulations.

Uneducated moralless selfish individuals !

You can take them out of a tree but you can't take the tree out of them

Edited by Jessadakorn

you can sue in Thailand.What makes you think otherwise?

Yes, you can sue, and I have done it, but if your expectation is you are going to get what you might in the West, I say do not hold your breath. The criminal result from the case should give you a good indication of what to expect in the Civil.

Accident my behind!

So it was intentional ?

I am a little confused here, so if I may, ask a few questions? What incident are we talking about? Chiang Mai or another matter? Why is he being accused of being a paranoid Thai basher? And why is it intentional? Is this and your last statement, a little bit of sarcasm? It would be appreciated if you could enlighten me so I can understand where this is coming from and going. Thanks.

Edited by Si Thea01

Accident my behind!

So it was intentional ?

Show me, where I said, it was intentional, Mr. Thai'er than Thai!

There are nuances between "intentional killing" and "accident"!

Do you laugh or do you cry??

Mr P "We are going to get serious about the road killings"

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

This is what a life is worth in Thailand...all part of Thainess...

I feel badly for the families of the victims. Their sorrow for the losses of their loved ones is now insulted by the outcome of the judicial process. I wonder if they have any recourse to file civil suits? Medical, funeral and loss of income is a huge financial burden for them.