Teen pregnancy problem getting more serious

Bangkok:- At the age they should have been studying for a bright future, so many girls get pregnant in Thailand. The problem, according to latest statistics, is getting more serious.

The Public Health Ministry has revealed that of girls aged between 15 and 19 years old, 5.38 per cent gave birth to their babies in 2012.

The latest figure is so alarming that Deputy Public Health Minister Somsak Chunharas admits teenage pregnancies is now a major problem in the Thai society.

“We will need to seriously tackle the problem,” Somsak told Matichon on Wednesday.

His ministry has now made it a mission to curb the percentage of pregnant girls in the 15 to 19 –year age range.

“It should be no more than five per cent in the next two years,” Somsak said.

According to him, the Public Health Ministry has already been implementing three key strategies in a bid to prevent teenage pregnancies.

The first strategy focuses on sex education to ensure that teenagers understand the risks of premature sex and unsafe sex.

The second strategy is to have “teenagers’ clinics” up and running at state hospitals so that the youth have convenient access to advice, condoms and even intrauterine devices.

“About 51 per cent of state hospitals under the ministry’s supervision have already operated such clinics. We will make sure the rest have the teenagers’ clinic available before the end of 2017,” Somsak said.

The third strategy is to engage local administrative bodies, communities and families in efforts to prevent girls from getting pregnant.

At a too young age, teenagers may not be really be ready to start a family at all and their pregnancies may lead to many social problems later on.

When you have a culture that allows the selling of products like the photo below in 7-11 Thailand its not surprising.

11261913_837079666339580_299758843098279

I think there aren't many country that would ban an ice tea for such a name

Well, I am surprised!............who would have thought that there would be an alarming rate of teen pregnancy in a culture where any open discussion about sex is non-existent?

Years ago a woman from the education ministry stated that ''Thai people do not have sex until they are married''

Only 5.38%? Here in the village it seems almost every girl has a kid by the time she is 20.

By now everyone should know that data from Thai government is always better that what real situations are
Then what is this all about?

Where are the Farangs that complain that there are not enough children in Thailand?

Only 5.38%? Here in the village it seems almost every girl has a kid by the time she is 20.

By now everyone should know that data from Thai government is always better that what real situations are

Where are the Farangs that complain that there are not enough children in Thailand?

In your imagination I think, because I don't know any.

Look for 'shortage of labour force' on TVF. Edited by micmichd

Look for 'shortage of labour force' on TVF.

There is a lack of people willing and or able to work under the prevailing conditions of the jobs on offer.

How you managed to link that to the problem of teenage pregnancy I have no idea.

Interesting that birth control isn't mentioned once in the article.

"The first strategy focuses on sex education to ensure that teenagers understand the risks of premature sex and unsafe sex.

The second strategy is to have “teenagers’ clinics” up and running at state hospitals so that the youth have convenient access to advice, condoms and even intrauterine devices. "

that is control of not getting pregnant.....condoms also for not getting HIV which is even more important.

We have 16 year old step granddaughter living with us ,if she said I want some advice on contraception, I would be glad ,but grandma my misses would have kittens ,the thought of her going with someone, and not married ,she would be soon marched up the aisle.

I think a lot of teenage girls would go for some form of contraceptive advice, but they would have to get around mum, grandma, etc first.

Like most things in Thailand changes happen slowly,this one is going to be a slow one.

Not so long ago the uk had the highest rate in Europe for teenage pregnacy,they are a lot better now,it was down to education,Thailand please take note.

You should probably reread the article you linked and the OP. According to the OP, the percentage of girls giving birth in Thailand is 5.38%.

According to the numbers in the wikipedia page you linked, 59% of pregnancies in the USA end in the birth of the child. Even though the pregnancy rate is 5.7%, the actual birth rate for girls in that age group is 3.4%. One would surmise that the Thai birth rate is nowhere near 100% either, but they don't mention the pregnancy rate.

Edited by FloridaExport

• 2 weeks later...