SURVEY: Should Foreigners be Allowed to own Property?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners be allowed to own land?  

755 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This week we are looking at the issue of ownership of real estate. In your opinion, do you think foreigners should be allowed to own property? Do you think that allowing foreigners to buy property will greatly inflate land prices, for instance? What effect do you think it would have on the country, the people, and the culture?

Please feel free to post your comment on the subject.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife owns 3 investment properties in Australia 100% and not 49% (land and buildings) but I am forbidden from investing in Thailand. There should be laws that if a farang is banned in Thailand then Thais should be banned overseas. Won't happen tho as other countries welcome foreign investment no matter how small.

Thailand should not allow foreigners to own property. In the USA as well as many other nations anyone can buy property...anyone. Doesn't matter if your an illegal alien or who you are. No, as much as I'd like to own land in Thailand under my name, I understand why it's not allowed.

If Thai's are allowed to own real estate in any foreign country then foreigners from that country should be allowed to own property here in Thailand.

This will never happen because Thai's fear that foreigners want to own & control their Country.

I don't think that anyone should be allowed to by land where he isn't a citizen. I've watched the issues in Ecuador where much is mountainous and good land is scarce. Foreigners including expats have bought so much of the good land that the locals can no longer afford any for themselves.

There's always some disparity in income with wealthier people seeming to like to buy up land in poorer areas. They often don't care if they get a return on investment until they sell, hoping for appreciation. There's even that dynamic in the US and Canada where there is a lot of land but rich people from big cities buy a farm while they are on vacation and then lease it to a poor farmer on a share crop basis. The word "sharecropper" has always had a negative connotation - meaning a poor farmer.

When there is more and new demand chasing the same supply of land, prices go up and make it almost impossible for a farmer's children to buy land or for the farmer to increase his holdings. The price shouldn't be based on speculation but rather on what it can produce. That can happen only when the producers are the interested buyers.

I think foreigners staying in Thailand long term (work, retirement) should be allowed to buy personal residential property.

I think the current quota in condos makes sense, but I would also add an allowance of say a couple of rai of land - still for strictly residential purposes and in designated residential areas.

Large luxury estates should be subject to tax (wealth tax, NOT land tax).

Edited by manarak

Western countries should make a reciprocal law for Thais but our selfserving diplomats wont rock any boats on its citizens behalf because they dont want to compromise their future income stream, All created while being paid by the taxpayer.

Unfortunately for foreigners to openly own land you will have to change the national anthem as a section of it is rendered variously as saying:

Nation of the people; belonging to the Thais in every respect. Land of Thailand belongs to the Thais. Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais.

Many Thai people consider it is their nationalistic duty not to cede the land of Thailand either to foreign nations or to foreigners.

With more and more mixed marriages and families, it is only common decency that foreign fathers (or mothers) and husbands should get a chance to invest here. I have a wife and kids, who have 2 passports, and want to invest in their future. What if I end up alone when I am 80 years old, or what if my wife decides to leave me? Our position here is fragile, but we cannot complain as we knew this from the start.

My hope is that a volatile economy and real estate will lead one day to different rules, I hope that money/greed will prevail over nationalism and foreigners will be allowed to buy up empty units or homes (for personal use) one day. We keep some of our assets outside of Thailand because of this. I wouldn't mind bringing it in and spend it. Now we basically have our feet in 2 countries and will logically keep that option open. A shame, my wife an I want to invest more here the but our wings are clipped.

Unfortunately for foreigners to openly own land you will have to change the national anthem as a section of it is rendered variously as saying:

Nation of the people; belonging to the Thais in every respect. Land of Thailand belongs to the Thais. Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais.

Many Thai people consider it is their nationalistic duty not to cede the land of Thailand either to foreign nations or to foreigners.

A bit like that nasty spoilt child who won't let others touch his toys but will take the other children's toys

Interesting topic. I personally see the angle the powers that be are spinning here. Having laws that allow foreigners to own land outright is too open to exploitation and those with the means to buy up loads of it likely would.

Many posters here would in most cases i imagine be content to own 1 small piece of land with their thai wives and kids living there.

I think more openness and accepting attitudes from the govt regarding this should be forwarded. And sronger punishments for those abusing such rules enforced. My 2 cents

Foreigners can own property in Thailand, they just can't own the land it sits on.

As a foreigner, of course I think I should be able to own land/property 100% in my name in Thailand. Providing I have the funds to pay for it, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to be the rightful owner.

However, this is Thailand and I don't expect its stance on foreign land ownership to change any time soon!

And to an extent I can partly understand why they want to hold onto their land, although they are missing out on huge investment potential.

What I would like to see is that foreigners who work here legally or have kids here be entitled to purchase up to say 1 rai of land 100% in their name.

If Thai's are allowed to own real estate in any foreign country then foreigners from that country should be allowed to own property here in Thailand.

This will never happen because Thai's fear that foreigners want to own & control their Country.

I think its more likely that land prices will sky rocket out of the reach of ordinary Thais. That's a valid concern. What would minimise purchases would be limits on the amount and usage of land purchased. Also, said owner should live in the house and have adequate income/pay taxes, etc. This would eliminate many investors who buy land / house, but don't live in them.

There are no problems with foreigners owning their own house in Thailand.

It just has to be a separate legal entity to the land.

This is quicker and easier to do when building and not buying.

If someone is concerned, and clever, they have a modular prefab house built that they own 100%. This can be dismantled and moved without too much cost or effort.

I'm happy with my crumbling old 1970s condo, so I don't really have a horse in this race.

I understand and respect Thai opinions and traditions on foreign ownership of Thai land and houses. I think that if there were to be a change, it should be for foreigners to own a single house and a small lot, for personal use only. I would not support an unregulated foreigner land-grab fest, which would obviously only make life even harder for Thais on modest incomes.

I would add to that - if it counts towards the visa requirements. I I was allowed to buy property and spent, say, 1 million baht but struggled to find the required funds for my annual visa renewal then I would simply rent. 'Our' home was bought with mostly my money, but expats coming in now would be well advised simply to rent until there are such guarantees. Allowing the expat to buy outright would help Thailand in many ways.

Foreigners can own property in Thailand, they just can't own the land it sits on.

As a foreigner, of course I think I should be able to own land/property 100% in my name in Thailand. Providing I have the funds to pay for it, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to be the rightful owner.

However, this is Thailand and I don't expect its stance on foreign land ownership to change any time soon!

And to an extent I can partly understand why they want to hold onto their land, although they are missing out on huge investment potential.

What I would like to see is that foreigners who work here legally or have kids here be entitled to purchase up to say 1 rai of land 100% in their name.

Why just people who work here or have kids ? I neither work here or have kids but I am married. Does that mean I am less entitled to a stable family environment than anyone else !

Gentlemen, I would ask you to consider the reasoning behind a lot of this.

Thailand is a top down society. Unless the top own it all then there can be no real power. Once foreigners are allowed to start owning then it is understood that they will bring other laws with them in regards to ultimate ownership. This is not to be allowed under any circumstances.

Also, the current situation allows locals (read women) a way to own their own place when they would never be able to ordinarily do it.

Why do you always talk about owning in Thailand when you should know that you are not wanted. here.coffee1.gif

I don't think it is Thai people that are scared, I think it is the rich Thais,that currently buy anything that comes on the market, that don't want any competition. The poor farmers never stand a chance, it's their own people keeping them landless and struggling.

Where I live, no property stays on the market for very long at all, the rich will just buy it and then do nothing with it.

Renting is the safest and cheapest option. Invest your money in a rental property back home and use the profit to cover costs in Thailand....

Edited by cornishcarlos

In the USA as well as many other nations anyone can buy property...anyone.

You don't really own land in the USA, though they'd like you to think you do.

Anyone can buy the right to lease the land from the government by paying real estate taxes. They like you to think you own the land, but you're really just leasing it. Think you own it? Stop paying the lease fee (real estate taxes) and see what happens. Or if they need the land back for a highway, or a pipeline.

And to add insult to injury, they then tax you on the improvements you made to the property, with your own (after tax) money. So, effectively, first you pay for the house, then you lease it from the government. What a deal. And even worse, you can only use the land for approved purposes, under zoning laws, building codes and other restrictions.

I suspect when Thailand implements real estate taxes and zoning laws, they'll allow foreigners to buy the right to lease the land by paying real estate taxes. But that's going to have all kinds of unintended consequences for Thais across the income and wealth spectrum. And "owning" the land will probably not look as attractive if it means another tax to pay.

I do think foreigners who reside in Thailand should be allowed to purchase enough land for their residence- perhaps an acre. But no huge plots, and no absentee ownership (or you'd have an absentee Chinese town of 2,000,000, each buying an acre of farmland)

But personally, given how often they governments change here, I'd be afraid to buy land, with the fear that the next government will change the rules and I'll have 6 months to sell (at fire sale price). Or, like Zimbabwe... But then, I have no long term or family ties to Thailand. I'd feel differently if I did.

Edited by impulse

My wife owns 3 investment properties in Australia 100% and not 49% (land and buildings) but I am forbidden from investing in Thailand. There should be laws that if a farang is banned in Thailand then Thais should be banned overseas. Won't happen tho as other countries welcome foreign investment no matter how small.

Australia should STOP selling it's land to foreigners. (Non Australians might be a better choice of words).

Thailand should stick to their current policy.

The problem with foreigners owning land in any country is speculation and environment. In very few countries vacant land pays heavy taxes when is used for speculation, and not for productive use. Productive use, any kind, employs people and creates income for them and the country.

Investors in real estate, creates employment and production trough the construction business. Hospitality projects too. But, Thailand is a small and over populated country, with 90% of its population working in agriculture. Selling land to foreigners it is possible, but better with a lot of regulations, control, and limitations. Thailand cannot have the luxury to keep non productive land seating for speculation, from anybody, foreigner or Thai.

A bit like that nasty spoilt child who won't let others touch his toys but will take the other children's toys