reminder about unexpected dangers of Pattaya’s traffic

Asiantravel

I thought I should post my experience of very luckily escaping an injury as a pedestrian this afternoon about 2:15 PM. It’s one of those moments I really appreciate how lucky I was. I am not saying I would have been killed or something but I definitely think I would have been badly hurt.

I was standing on the corner of Pattaya 13 / 3 Alley and Beach Road where there is a 7/11 on the corner and a pedestrian crossing (with the lights not working) and I simply wanted to cross over to the beach walkway.

For some reason this afternoon as I was looking north up Beach Road it seemed to take a long time for a reasonable break in the traffic to be able to cross over. As I waited I was standing amongst the parked motorbikes outside 7/11 looking north.

Then just as I was about to start crossing a young motorbike taxi driver suddenly emerged from Pattaya 13 / 3 Alley on my left and literally shot up Beach Road the wrong way going north at an enormous speed. I couldn’t believe my luck at not having stepped out just at that moment .I feel like buying lottery tickets or something.

It’s not the fact that he went the wrong way because that happens all the time on Beach Road. It’s the speed at which he went. I don’t know what my legal position would have been had I been injured. It’s not like another vehicle being involved. Would I have been entitled to any compensation for medical expenses?

Just a reminder to people it’s better to look right and left everywhere in this place.

if he/she held insurance if he /she stopped to be identified if the police were called if anybody caught the full incident on camera

lot of ifs but the likelihood of any compo would be at best difficult to come by

This is the excepted norm for pattaya driving and riding.

Me, Me , Me, Me, Me first , and more Me, Get out the way im coming through.

Selfish , dangerous idiotic drivers of pattaya. ( shame on most of you )

Cops do nothing apart from pull people over for no crash hat, no licence , no Tax, No what ever.

Amazing Thailand on the roads in pattaya . bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I have close calls like that pretty much every week.

Yes you have to look every direction like a crazy man ... but the surprise vehicles come anyway.

That pretty much says it.

Just when you think you've covered every possible angle of attack, someone bolts on a moto from a 7-11 in front of your toes. I really don't know how any of us gets through the day without a personal injury accident. Near misses are legion.

My personal favourite near miss is the moto coming at you from across the road (optional angle: from behind), cuts right in front of you into the 7-11 and parks, blocking you instantly and forcing you out into traffic. Strangling would be too good a demise for these perps.

I guess the "big city" experience in Pattaya is pretty exciting to those of you who used to live where crossing a road only required dodging the occasional cow or speeding turnip truck.

Tales of senior moments seem quite common here in Pattaya ... regardless of the poster's age. Maybe this is an opportunity for local scouts to earn a merit badge.

tpc-m-boy-scouts-handbook-boy-scouts-of-

A post has been removed:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Yup, driving the wrong way on the one way is the norm for the motor bike mafia....they could care less about humans.....IMHO.

I've been hit three times in my ten plus years here in Pattaya and count myself lucky to still be alive....it's only a matter of time before I get hit for six....?. Just hope I'm not too badly hurt so I can whip the shit out of whomever does the deed on me....revenge is best served cold in most cases....time will tell.....rock on!! ??

It's always a problem when walking or pulling out into a busy road. You have to obviously look where the traffic is coming from and move quickly when a gap appears. If someone is coming the wrong way from your left you haven't always the time to double check. I've had a couple of near misses like this.

And is it just me getting old or IS traffic & aggressive behavior, garbage piles, smells, sour faces and several other negative factors escalating lately??????? MS>

(1) yes

(2) yes

Maybe should be a new topic ^ but why is this so ?. And for the OP: Its always safer to cross any road at least 50 m away from an inter section.

Just too many variables at inter sections.

And for these jerk moto riders around here :The best thing that can happen to them is statistics

Edited by morrobay

When I am on the way as a pedestrian I love the big packed traffic jams tongue.png

One ot the times you can cross the street fairly safe.

One of the "disadvantages" of low season: traffic flows and space for hooligans to speed in the wrong direction.

My live long, uninjured program is not for everyone : I treat every week as though it is Songkran by keeping my fairly nice condo quarters stocked with food/water/

women, ( all delivered), have over 100 books, P.C., & my next trip out will be horizontal & smiling !

And is it just me getting old or IS traffic & aggressive behavior, garbage piles, smells, sour faces and several other negative factors escalating lately??????? MS>

(1) yes

(2) yes

Be careful Gerry, or you will get those idiotic members of the 'if you don't like it go home' brigade after you.

Welcome to Asia.

What a silly thing to say crazy.gif

Why? Anyone coming to Asia would be wise to not expect western traffic laws and driving behaviour. It could save their life as the OP has indicated.

Please go and look at what countries are in Asia, duh.

Welcome to Asia.

No, let's keep this focused on Pattaya's particular brand of vehicular mayhem. Not too many motorcycle taxis belting up the main road the wrong way in Singapore (also in Asia).

because they actually enforce traffic laws in Singapore

Taxi Driver Caught Speeding By Singapore Traffic Police

http://tvocan.com/watch-video/taxi-driver-caught-speeding-by-singapore-traffic-police

When pulling out of my house onto the main Road my natural tendency is to look right for an opportunity. In Thailand I have to remember to look both ways for cars or motorcycles coming up the wrong way on my left also.

Glad your safe and well and able to share your experience.

Edited by dotpoom

Welcome to Asia.

Why? Anyone coming to Asia would be wise to not expect western traffic laws and driving behaviour. It could save their life as the OP has indicated.

Last time I looked there were about 50, many of which make Thailand's driving standards look positively average!

Last time I looked there were about 50, many of which make Thailand's driving standards look positively average!

average ?blink.png

Thailand has Asia’s Most Deadly Roads

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

Edited by Asiantravel

For what its worth, I was crossing Jomtien Beach road, from the beach side and doing a stop and go for the traffic coming from both directions,

cars and cycle's. When I got across the street a Thai man in his forties or so, walked up to me and told me, next time just walk across slowly is

a better way, that way everyone knows where you are or are going to be. Sure makes sense, what he said, and works for me. But can testify also

to the idiots in the small Soi's I walk, that can't wait and go around cars and felt the air on my elbow or body a few times

i live by the rama4 -sukhumvit junction, i never ever cross on the crossing as , if i did have a death wish, i would use it, no-one ever stops here for pedestrians, i walk 50 metres down the road, cross to the central reservation, and then run like f*k, across the other half of the road, (only to have a near miss by a scooter rider riding up the pavement) just can't win