Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would work. But that's a lot more money to invest to protect your motorcycles. [emoji2]

Easier to move home.

Not where I came from, big bikes cost roughly double price (made in Thailand) compared to here and then comes insurances and gasoline which will also be 200%. Oh and you can ride 6 month per year if you are lucky.

Noooooooooooooooooooo thanks, I stay here

That would work. But that's a lot more money to invest to protect your motorcycles. [emoji2]

Easier to move home.

Not where I came from, big bikes cost roughly double price (made in Thailand) compared to here and then comes insurances and gasoline which will also be 200%. Oh and you can ride 6 month per year if you are lucky.

Noooooooooooooooooooo thanks, I stay here

I meant to higher ground not intercontinental.

Best of luck anyways.

Edited by DILLIGAD

actually the cargo elevator cost only a few hundred thousand baht and the shop house was 2.5m...

not too expensive for a 4 story man cave if your playing with 500k+ motorbikes

Z800 will have ABS for 2016.

I'd go Mt09 out of your choice of 3

The z800, hmmm, nice looker but the handling, hmmm?

I think I was riding a FZ 09, same same, but different. = Very strong engine, from 50 on in 6the gear ok,

but aggressive gas, throttle not an easy ride in standard configuration of Computer.

Alfredo. Now that you are in Phuket go to Bigwing here and have a proper test ride (ask where Bypass road is to open it up a bit!).

Also Ducati Phuket has their Road Show where you can test bikes since yesterday, check it out man!

How was your experience with the big bike rental in Paton? I'm interested in checking the MT-09 for a day but always scared of being scammed in Patong.

Also how much for a one day rental?

Hmm, after all that disappointment with Hondas test ride, they deserve a second chance?

Anyway, I think not enough powerful.

Ducati, I had my test ride, made there at least one Ducati lady angry, as they want you come back after 15 min.

BUT, the shop was in the middle of Phuket town, you cannot come out of traffic and back in that time!

I was about an hour away. Phuket town - Patong - Kamala - Surin - some km in direction to the airport and back tongue.png

Its my favorite bike, the Yamaha FZ 09? had the much more powerful engine and that rented bike an open exhaust with good sound, but a bit aggressive that engine for me and the handling better in my opinion with the Ducati Monster 821.

The other Ducati I rented should have had the same engine, open exhaust to, but ran "unround"

One day rent 1.500.- B. in Soi Namyen road nice shop face lifted.

I will tell you soon how the handle a broken oil pan. I had a bad experience at Phuket airport - Motorbike parking space, the oil pan get broken on one of the small concretet ramps there.sad.png

I wrote a complain with the AOT office there and sent e.mail, chatted with their online office in Dong Mueang, we will see if something comes out.

Anyway, after 1 hour 15 min, the renter was with 4 boys and 2 women there on the airport, packed the bike on their pick up and we drove back to Patong. Godd handling so far, more soon. whistling.gif

11637956_903817336323226_2022458225_n.jp

11655479_903817419656551_1473323927_n.jp

11653342_903817466323213_509402975_n.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

Alfredo it will be interesting to see which one you choose. For you guys that were following this thread before I got my Ducati Diavel out of the shop yesterday. Yes two months is way too long to have to wait for repairs but what can I say, I still love the way it rides, looks, and sounds and I guess it is worth putting up with a few Ducati Idiosyncracies smile.png .

Thanks -Lucky33- and good luck with your bike. thumbsup.gif

If he does actually buy a bike, I'm betting he will end up with either a 650 Kawasaki or a 650 Honda made in Thailand. That is the most practical decision in terms of cost, value for money, and overall performance. Plus both bikes have ABS, an important factor. With the Ducati 821 being the perceived favorite, it is more than 50% more in price than the 650cc Japanese bikes and there are looming questions about getting fast and reliable service for Ducati in Thailand. It is also a lot hotter to ride a Ducati for most of the year than the smaller Japanese bikes which are more practical for Thailand's average climate. Plus the Japanese bikes are good at all riding speeds. Ducatis sound and ride much better at faster speeds, but in Thailand you are more often riding slow than fast because of conditions when out on the Thai roads.

Hmmm, wink.png

I can only say, the Ducati Monster 821 gave me over all the best riding experience, special in handling, breaking and is behind the Yamaha in power, but that Yamaha is very aggressive in its power handling.

The Kawasaki - for me she looks good, but not much more in comparison.

The Kawasaki 650 is one step or two down from the others level, breaks on the second hand bike and front fork springs to soft for me.

The Honda I did only ride a bit, but what I felt from low revs in 1st and 2nd gear seemed underpowered compared to the other bikes.

Edited by ALFREDO

Interesting mini reviews.

Sounds like a 821 then, eh?

The 821 and MT09 have about same power but as you said, the power is said to be very snappy and takes some time getting used to.

So that rented Duke, looks like a 821?? how much did you have to pay for the damage? The renter must had been pissed off, he-he.

actually the cargo elevator cost only a few hundred thousand baht and the shop house was 2.5m...

not too expensive for a 4 story man cave if your playing with 500k+ motorbikes

The only missing part of that fantasy are some nice, cool, open roads to ride around on in Bangkok. Edited by WingNut

-guzzi850m2-

We will talk about that today or tomorrow, yesterday I saw the little damage myself, the oil pan is good scratched and has a hairline crack.

Felt like Aluminium oil pan, I hope not Magnesium!? The renter was not angry, its low season. whistling.gif

BUT, I will hear the real outcome soon.

By the way, the Hypermotard I rode also for some hours, as the Yamaha FZ 09, got maintenance, was for me running very unround in low revs - had a loud exhaust - and was for me handling much different than the Monster 821.

Not in my style, but the brakes, WAUW, they did bite! thumbsup.gif

=guzzi= you write

"So that rented Duke, looks like a 821?? how much did you have to pay for the damage? The renter must had been pissed off, he-he."

I rented a Hypermotard as the Yamaha FZ 09 was not finished on that day and switched bikes same day.

The broken -oil pan- was than on the Yamaha FZ09, a model with miles and Fahrenheit on it. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Alfredo: Ducati Phuket has the dealsership on Chao Fah West, near Honda and Mazda dealers and Shell gas station. Not sure where you went in Phuket Town.

There you have also a road to open it up a bit albeit the road being concrete or something, not smooth asphalt for the most part.

Please report back what the renter tells you the repairs are going to cost. You probably will have to pay 1.5k for every day that it is in repair and it can take a long time. Might get expensive. I hope not and they'll give you a fair deal. Good luck!

And yes, I would give Honda a second chance. Especially since it's for free, what can you lose? Bigwing Phuket are really nice guys. If you ask nicely I am sure they'll give you the bike for 30min. But it's true that it's not anywhere as powerful as M821 or MT09 especially down low.

how much did you have to pay for the damage?

My GF, called yesterday Yamaha Riders? Big Bike Phuket, first they do not have a bike for a testride.

Second, they say, about 5.000.- Baht+ for the alloy oil pan. BUT, I forget to let her ask when the piece is available.

Just before, passed by the motor bike rental place, the owner said,

6.000.- Baht for the oil pan,

3.000.- Baht for 4 L oil for 700.- Baht each

Yamaha said to him, 2 week waiting, he charges me therefore 1 week rental = 7.000.- Baht

He talks from 17.000.- Baht

I will call Yamaha tomorrow and find out if that is true.

I complained about that all to AOT, by Official Form, e.mail with photos and by Internet chat,

I not surprised, I do hear nothing in respond until now.rolleyes.gif

Well that is not too bad and not unreasonable I will say, well the oil is very expensive but he only charge you for 1 weeks rent, so if I was you, I would accept it or perhaps try for 15k baht? (A nice round number)

I bet most of those big bikes for rent don't have a class A insurance and if they do it will typically be app 15k baht deductible, my own class A on the V is 15k baht.

Alfredo: Ducati Phuket has the dealsership on Chao Fah West, near Honda and Mazda dealers and Shell gas station. Not sure where you went in Phuket Town.

There you have also a road to open it up a bit albeit the road being concrete or something, not smooth asphalt for the most part.

Please report back what the renter tells you the repairs are going to cost. You probably will have to pay 1.5k for every day that it is in repair and it can take a long time. Might get expensive. I hope not and they'll give you a fair deal. Good luck!

And yes, I would give Honda a second chance. Especially since it's for free, what can you lose? Bigwing Phuket are really nice guys. If you ask nicely I am sure they'll give you the bike for 30min. But it's true that it's not anywhere as powerful as M821 or MT09 especially down low.

I was at their place near Wat Chalong on Chao Fa West and they said they have a road show on DEBUK Road near a small Shopping Center in the middle of Phuket town, looked for me that that is a second, permanent? dealer outlet.

Anyway, made my ride already, think that one, a bit angry woman will not give me a bike again. wink.png

Regarding the rental shop place, see above in answer to -moto guzzi-

"Just before, passed by the motor bike rental place, the owner said,

6.000.- Baht for the oil pan,
3.000.- Baht for 4 L oil for 700.- Baht each
Yamaha said to him, 2 week waiting, he charges me therefore 1 week rental = 7.000.- Baht
He talks from 17.000.- Baht
I will call Yamaha tomorrow and find out if that is true."
Regarding Honda, I am now in hurry as I would leave tomorrow back to Udon Thani, so not really time for the Honda and in short time to decide my reaction to the motorbike rentals demand.
Maybe, I can bring that money for No Rental Out possibility down to 1/2 week, whistling.gif
I angry the AOT Phuket airport authority, they have surely insurance, But, will make nothing?
Anyway I am still writing to them and trying, is just to early for them to answer. coffee1.gif

Bummer. FZ09 oil pan is aluminium and costs around THB 5500. However an oil change even with fancy oil shouldn't run more than THB 1,600.

The big question is how long it takes them to get the pan - when I cracked mine last year I had to wait 6 weeks … So if I were you I'd try and negotiate down a bit, say thank you, pay up and get outta there in case it does become a 6-week wait.

The pan design is flawed because there's a fin on the bottom of the pan that's supposed to protect the drain plug. However all it seems to do is concentrate any impact on the bottom of the pan and crack it around the bolt.

Seeing how much oil came out it must be quite badly cracked. Mine was only dripping a bit and Yamaha in BKK were able to repair it, so I rode maybe 500 km like that while waiting for the new pan.

post-212467-0-67479200-1435075092_thumb.

Good luck.

BTW I still love my FZ09 ...

-BKKBike09-

You described the problem very well "all it seems to do is concentrate any impact on the bottom of the pan and crack it around the bolt"

Its a -hairline crack- as I saw it, the oil came out slowly but steady. But the fin was good damaged, 25 - 30 %

and thank you for the nice photo.thumbsup.gif

Where did that damage happen to you?

The bike rental owner said to me, Yamaha was talking from 2 weeks, (I will check that tomorrow)

so he wanted to charge me a week = 7.000 Baht.

I have to decide quickly as I would fly back tomorrow to Isaan.

Anyway I think AOT is responsible for that accident with their shitty ramp to the parking spot for mostly small motorbikes and no area for Big Bikes.

I like the FZ 09 also, BUT, I think I would need some more time to get used to her, did never change in other than Standard Engine switch position.

Is there a big difference between FZ and MT 09? Thank you for your input.smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Hi.

FZ and MT are one and the same. Just a different name.

My MT has ABS (Singapore), and I too still love my 09.

By the way, for the newer bikes there will have been the ECU reflash done at the factory.

The bike you rented may not have been reflashed yet . it is offered free by Yamaha.

It did make a big difference and made the throttle less fierce at small openings. I do miss the madness of the launch of the original ECU mapping though, but the free Yamaha reflash certainly improved the overall ride.

Cheer's

Hi.

FZ and MT are one and the same. Just a different name.

My MT has ABS (Singapore), and I too still love my 09.

By the way, for the newer bikes there will have been the ECU reflash done at the factory.

The bike you rented may not have been reflashed yet . it is offered free by Yamaha.

It did make a big difference and made the throttle less fierce at small openings. I do miss the madness of the launch of the original ECU mapping though, but the free Yamaha reflash certainly improved the overall ride.

Cheer's

Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde that FZ 09. Real fun with that engine. Had also a Scorpion -more open exhaust on. thumbsup.gif

BUT, less expensive, less powerful but also good looking and a lot cheaper,

after a Test ride, (well handling) with the Honda CB 659 F, it is with the Ducati Monster 821 my favorite.

And the price could make the difference. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Go buy the Ducati and be happy! You already know that is the bike you REALLY want!

The question, is the difference, between the Monster 821 and the Honda 650 worth the difference of 200.000.- Baht? If money is a factor too?

Yes, more power the Ducati, but, we are in TH, here its often better

and more secure not get so fast to higher speeds. wink.png

I was, therefore, long time happy with my loud but not so fast accelerating Honda CBR 400 RR. rolleyes.gif

Also in EU I drove same time Yamaha FZR 1000 and Yamaha R 111667933_905019166203043_953042871_n.jpg

The 650 Honda was in handling on the small circled Phuket hill roads not much different from the Ducati, possibly, even more handy. tongue.png

The Ducati exhaust sound is already with the Original exhaust nice and nicer and its a DUCATI - but is that worth that much money?whistling.gif

M-821_2014_Studio_R_B01_1920x1080.mediag

img_new_cb650f_06.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

I am a current CB650F owner and can not stop thinking of upgrading to a 821 Monster myself. I like my CB650f and would recommend to anyone looking for good value for there money. Myself however I am looking to upgrade to something a little "higher end", and feel the 821 is a modest upgrade with out going all the way to a BMW S1000r. I love the S1000r, but cant justify to myself the 830 000 baht for the cost of it in Thailand vs North America Cost, and with no premium package avalable in Thailand. The 821 at 479 000 baht isnt that much of a stretch from the North American cost. I would probably buy a Monster 1200 if the price in Thailand also wasnt so ridiculous.

The 821 doesn't make much sense for Thailand for 3 main reasons:

1 - Bike gets too hot for most riding in Thailand

2 - Poor availability of Ducati replacement parts and service centers

3 - Traffic and road conditions make it very difficult to ride and enjoy the bike for what it is designed for

3 - Traffic and road conditions make it very difficult to ride and enjoy the bike for what it is designed for

What do you ride for a big bike in Thailand? Have you owned Ducati or a 821 before?

1: Nonsense, The 821 is water cooled and therefore well suited for Thailand.

2: Service parts will be okay to get and also service centers many places in Thailand now. Yes correct if you needs parts after a crash, you might have to wait 2-3 month for parts.

3: Nonsense again, I tried a Hyperstrada last year (same engine) and boy was it fun to ride. My ride buddy have a Hyper as well and he loves it. You don't have to ride over 200km/h to enjoy a Duke, acceleration and very good road handling is nice to have/enjoy.

I would looooove to have one, I really would, but since I got a family, they come first so I have to dim down on bike spending, hence I got a Versys 650.

As the previous 2 posters said.

1. Nonsense. I ride an even bigger Ducati and haven't had any heat issues.

2. Could be the case with parts but there are plenty of service centers all over Thailand.

3. Nonsense again. 821 isn't any worse than any of the Honda or Kawa sports bikes. It will also greatly depends on where you ride it.

And back to your comment in another topic where you called all of my posts stupid, it goes back to you buddy.