Thumping Loudspeaker Trucks

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone else gets as annoyed as me by the never ending stream of loudspeaker trucks thumping round the island.

You can hear (in some cases actually feel) them coming in the distance and nowadays there seem to be more than ever, usually advertising Muay Thai, Full Moon/Half Moon etc., or the latest night club opening.

My house is a good 100 meters back from the road but that offers no protection - God knows what it's like for the poor buggers right next to the road.

I know this may be a good form of advertising as far as they're concerned, (i.e. local Thai businessmen no doubt who won't give a damn about the row they make), but do they have to be so loud?

Is there really no local authority to complain to? (I know the answer to that one, been here a long time:)

Before anyone says ear plugs, I've got 'em and sure that helps a bit but you know, I'm really getting to the end of my tether with this place and been wanting to have a moan about this for a while.

Aaah - that's better.

Cheers.

Of course the guys who do this stuff don't listen to it, their head is being trounced.........What they are doing is making YOU think they are cool. They don't know WE think they are brain dead <deleted>......smile.png

"They don't know WE think they are brain dead"

Yes, I'm sure they'd be devastated to learn what you think.

Of course the guys who do this stuff don't listen to it, their head is being trounced.........What they are doing is making YOU think they are cool. They don't know WE think they are brain dead <deleted>......smile.png

They don't think we know they are brain dead.

I do sympathise with your situation with those loudspeaker toting vehicles and I hate them too, so imagine my horror when I discovered the Tesco Lotus supermarket next door to my condo decided to run an open air exercise class nightly in their car park with six foot high speakers blaring decibels out at participants and neighbours alike !

It drove me to distraction so much I went to see the store manager who was a very nice lady who promised to do something about the noise but after several days nothing had happened so we went to the district Amphur office and complained to the environmental officer in charge and blow me within 24 hours they had turned the fixed stage (complete with speakers) around 90 degrees which cut the noise dramatically.

Allthough not a permanent solution It has at least restored in me some faith that there is some justice in the system if you know who to call upon. Hopefully this is a passing fad and by the time I return for my next visit they will have closed through lack of interest.

Of course there is a Thai law about noise pollution, but of course who cares.

I know because last year I had up to 75 dump trucks go up and down my soi in my quiet little village in front of my house - every day for months - illegally.

I was about to put the house up for sale and pack my bags.

I researched the Thai law and made legal complaints to the local police, Amphur, and more after requesting they stop nicely with my lawyer, as well as Thai noise pollution control office in Bangkok (what a joke!).

I was playing with fire I know as I made many a driver very angry at the waves I was making.

I recruited my neighbors to join me so I wasn't just a farang blowing smoke; indeed the whole village was suffering, but only the farang had the balls - and also a bit of stupidity to dare try to do anything about it.

There was a threat or two and I decided if necessary I was prepared to live with it than die without it - but would move out of Thailand.

Took it to the line.

In the end, they stopped.

I lived to write about it, thus far anyway.

Sleep with my two samurai swords though.

1. Follow the trucks to see where they are parked at night.

2. In the middle of the night...dressed in your best all black "Mission Impossible" outfit, sneak up on the trucks.

3. Push a small pin through the two speaker wires ... shorting them out. Make sure you choose a spot on the wires that is hard to find.

4. Repeat as necessary

They don't think we know they are brain dead.

They are not brain dead because they don't have brains in the first place.

Actually some Thais think they are retards too but would never say it, Once on my land a truck came past with a blaring row and i pointed an imaginary gun at the vehicle and blew it up, the builders i had at the time all laughed in agreement.

Many will just say nothing............dont want to upset anyone etc.

"They don't know WE think they are brain dead"

Yes, I'm sure they'd be devastated to learn what you think.

Guess when they have tinnitus they might wonder why though.................nah probably not

Those trucks are just one of the reasons I'll never set foot on Koh Samui again. The 'problem' is easily solved by taking the baffles out of the mufflers on your two-stroke motorcycle... then, you won't hear the Muay Thai advertising trucks.

Edited by cruisemonkey

1. Follow the trucks to see where they are parked at night.

2. In the middle of the night...dressed in your best all black "Mission Impossible" outfit, sneak up on the trucks.

3. Push a small pin through the two speaker wires ... shorting them out. Make sure you choose a spot on the wires that is hard to find.

4. Repeat as necessary

3. reverse the connections on half the speakers so they are anti-phased... rolleyes.gif

Kind of destroy paradise don't they?

I remember the days when they had a boat running up and down Chaweng beach announcing "Tonight, tonight Superfight".

THAT was annoying....

Don't think that boat is gone :-(

I once asked a Thai village person "why do they do that?" (drive trucks with advertising). The answer I got was that many locals can't read/write, so the audio advertising is used instead. I'm not sure that's the whole case, but it's one angle I hadn't considered.

I would be very interested to learn of the increase in sales of washing machines, cars, gym membership, cosmetics or whatever it is, compared to the cost of the advertising in purely financial terms (hard to measure the stress imposed on the receivers of the message). I can't imagine that it makes a profit for the advertiser (I think the going rate was about 1500baht/day at the time, though that was many years back).

Also, I'd like to know why they all follow each other playing noise out of phase rather than each of them having a section of the city/island/village each to handle.

Whats needed is a hand held directional EMP divice about the size of a hair dryer! Point at the offender and zap ever circuit in his/her stereo and car are fried!

What device is that???

Having worked on a project where our device needed to be EMP tested, we had to send it (I think to Sweden) a the only place in Europe that could test it, and I think the equipment was housed in a large power station, and a lot larger than a hair dryer.

As for zapping the equipment, that can easily be overcome by reverting back to valve amplifiers.

I would suspect anything the size you mention would only be capable of zapping the operators cheapo "China Export" fake Rolex.

Edited by Basil B