Thai Interior Minister signs residency permit for foreigners

Agree, this is good news.

Maybe just me, but the wording seems to leave a little confusion about being able to work.

"Most of the requests being made are for employment..."

Perhaps just poor reporting, on the other hand is there a change, does PR now automatically include the right to work (within some boundaries of course)?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Agree, this is good news.

Maybe just me, but the wording seems to leave a little confusion about being able to work.

"Most of the requests being made are for employment..."

Perhaps just poor reporting, on the other hand is there a change, does PR now automatically include the right to work (within some boundaries of course)?

Just poor wording. It would take a change to a decades old law to exempt PR holders from work permits.

• Like 2

Such a piece of news and only 7 comments?!

Whilst it's (long overdue) "progress", those that have been here a long time know just what a joke the whole "PR" process/requirements is/are and are probably bored to post about it anymore.

I can count on the fingers of one hand (actually two fingers on one hand), the number of foreigners I've met here who have successfully achieved "PR" ... maybe I just don't mix with the richer crowd ...

• Like 1

Permanent residency in Thailand: maximum new residents permitted per annum, 100 per country.

China population 1.4 billion, 100 allowed.

India population 1.3 billion, 100 allowed.

San Marino pop. 33,000, 100 allowed.

Nauru pop. 10,000, 100 allowed.

• Like 2

And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?

You, myself and many others are in the same boat. No hope of permanent residency unless they changed the ministerial regulation to allow it.

There is clause in it that allows a married person to get one if their wife is working and making at least 30k baht a month but they will not even accept those applications.

That's the stupidity of having different categories, when those that apply under the family category basically have to have the same qualifications as the working category otherwise the family applicant just gets rejected immediately.

Edited by Time Traveller

"And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?"

You get to continue staying here for 1900 baht a year instead of 100-200k for PR.

That doesn't sound too bad.

You can spend the difference on the family.

That's of course if it's not tied up in a Thai bank to support your visa application.
  • Like 1

Out of likes;

Thank u ubonjoe for your answer..wai.gif

I'm living here since 8 years with my thai wife and this year for the nineth prolongation, I don't know if it will be accepted because since four months my income is under 40.000 baht , and I don't have, of course, 400.000 baht on my bank account .

If I could have this PR , it will be easier to live here.

• Like 1

And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?

You, myself and many others are in the same boat. No hope of permanent residency unless they changed the ministerial regulation to allow it.

There is clause in it that allows a married person to get one if their wife is working and making at least 30k baht a month but they will not even accept those applications.

If you have been living in Thailand for 5 years or more and you have either a Thai wife, a child born in Thailand, or have been working here for the 5 years, and can speak the language fluently enough to pass a language test and sing the national anthem in Thai, you can apply for Thai citizenship. If successful you then have EXACTLY the same legal rights a Thais. You can own house AND land in your name, you can set up a Thai business in YOUR name, no 51% Thai ownership, no more visa extensions, no more 90 day reporting etc etc. This seems to be an option that most farangs that have been here long term are either not aware of (due to lack of research) or just couldn't be bothered considering. Beats me why you would even consider residency status, when this option is available and far more appealing.

Permanent residency in Thailand: maximum new residents permitted per annum, 100 per country.

Have you got a link to the source of that information?

PR is considered if you have stayed in the Kingdom and paid your taxes either be due to employment or through investment. I know many of my friends who are PR and some of them have stayed for almost 40 years already.

How many farang do you know that have thai citizenship I know 3 they own huge business. Easy enough said it took Lao superstar Ananda Everingham 8 years he was born in thailand your luck next to impossible. I have PR after working for the thai governmet 6 years after my contract extension ends it will mark 10 years and Thai citizenship I was born here. There are thousands of guys still waiting for PR get your facts straight. If it was so easy we would all do it.

If you have been living in Thailand for 5 years or more and you have either a Thai wife, a child born in Thailand, or have been working here for the 5 years, and can speak the language fluently enough to pass a language test and sing the national anthem in Thai, you can apply for Thai citizenship. If successful you then have EXACTLY the same legal rights a Thais. You can own house AND land in your name, you can set up a Thai business in YOUR name, no 51% Thai ownership, no more visa extensions, no more 90 day reporting etc etc. This seems to be an option that most farangs that have been here long term are either not aware of (due to lack of research) or just couldn't be bothered considering. Beats me why you would even consider residency status, when this option is available and far more appealing.
  • Like 1

and, your point is?

The only people I ever met here with Permanent Residency are retired millionaires. Enough said on that. Permanent residency just means you don't have to jump through the hoops like a trained dog for immigration. Taiwan and many other countries offer permanent residency if the person applying has lived seven consecutive years in the country without criminal record or in some cases like Taiwan, married a local citizen, have a job and are raising a family. There are no other rights and privileges. Never understood the logic in Thai Immigration anyway.

My fiends, have you noticed the many hundreds of "qualifications" to be filled, the low annual quota and the as yet to mentioned probably non returnable fee, currently in the 100,000s of baht ?

Most nationalities don't come even close to the quota. The fee is less than 10,000 baht to apply. Only once the application is approved do you pay for the PR itself.

Such a piece of news and only 7 comments?!

Thank you for keeping count.

I read them as they come in and am thankful for the postings, regardless of how many there are.