Booking online for annual visa renewal crazy!

elgordo38

I went onto the immigration website tonight to book for Sept 3 (my annual is due Sept 16th but I am starting early good thing too) At 12.01 a.m. there was a message there saying that the queue was closed because of the 100 day advance booking rule. I returned 5 minutes later and all 10 spots were booked and frankly I find this almost impossible. I know the number of expats has increased but I have never run into this for the month of September which should be a slow month for renewals. Sooo what am I doing wrong? Is there another link I can use that is faster better more accurate maybe the link I am using is bad here it is. Can somebody please help as I do not want to go through the brutal waiting for hours at their office.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PS to the above

Are there visa agents or someone that are somehow tying up all the new openings for online booking right after midnight when they become available. Something smells here. Is there someone out there that has booked a spot between the August 20th or so and September 16th that is not going to use it? I sure could

Edited by elgordo38

PS to the above

Are there visa agents or someone that are somehow tying up all the new openings for online booking right after midnight when they become available. Something smells here. Is there someone out there that has booked a spot between the August 20th or so and September 16th that is not going to use it? I sure could

As far as I know, once booked on-line the slots are not transferable. I am not sure whether a slot can be cancelled either?

If a slot can be cancelled, than the person would have to let you know the exact time of cancellation so as you could book the slot immediately before someone else jumps in.

Extending our visas has become a lottery, a total disgrace.

I stayed up late one night about a month ago to reserve my slot.... I had no issues booking as soon as it opened (seconds after midnight).

One thing I noticed is that you need to reload the queue page or else nothing gets updated.

I must have been reserving on a slow day as I monitored it for the next 4 or 5 hours and although 4 or 5 slots got taken within the first 15-20 minutes there was one or two still open when I went back to bed at 5 am......

My wife just scheduled her visa appointment. She waited until midnight, logged on, and got a 9:30 slot. Not a problem, just luck of the draw.

When you consider just how many people waiting every single day at Immigration, and realize that there are a bare minimum of scheduled slots, it's easy to understand why they fill up so quickly.

The "system" is broken if old folks need to get to the office before sunrise to wait in que for an admisnistrative procedure that is 10 minutes long but can cost you more than a day. ...... no respect shown them, none should be expected from them.

Although I am not a statistician, I can not understand why you would feel September would be a "slow time" for renewals.

In fact, I would argue that September / October might even be weighted more heavily ... since it is the beginning of the cold weather in the northern hemisphere.

Anyway, I do agree that this sucks, and it is really crazy to force people to sit up until the wee hours to get this done.

The bookings should be done during normal business hours.

I checked the site .. you still have several more chances to book ...yes?

post-145190-0-96229200-1432604817_thumb.

The "system" is broken if old folks need to get to the office before sunrise to wait in que for an administrative procedure that is 10 minutes long but can cost you more than a day. ...... no respect shown them, none should be expected from them.

Anyway, I do agree that this sucks, and it is really crazy to force people to sit up until the wee hours to get this done.

Obviously all from "Nanny States" where they hold your hand (and wipe your bum for you). A little effort required, and you are helpless.

Elgordo, if your extension expires on September 16th, then you could have come in up to 30 days early without losing days -- you'd still get a new extension 365 days from September 16. So, you should have started a few weeks earlier and (as said) started with the computer at 12:00:30 and refreshed the screen every few seconds, instead of waiting five minutes.

You still have time. Just a little more persistence needed.

You can book 100 days in advance and 30 days before your visa is set to expire.

That 130 to 100 day window gives you 30 attempts to score an appointment. Sure one of those days you manage it ??

I have booked it online for the last 3 years.. Yes I needed to be up at midnight.. Each time I got an appointment, maybe this year I wont and will feel aggrieved but with a small amount of planning it should be possible.

With nearly 1400 posts I'd guess that you're reasonably experienced vis-a-vis "immigration". So I really don't understand why you simply can't just accept the fact that the online system is a step forward. However, the vagaries of this online system are much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck and immeasuarable tenacity and patience to be successful. If you couldn't get on to the system well, that's tough luck for you, but it seems you didn't exactly try to access it many times (twice), but went to the whining and whingeing route about it to the audience on Thai Visa. Well that's not going to help either, because Thai Visa itself (and the users especially) exert no influence whatsoever on any government departments.

The vagaries of the online system (which is a step forward) is much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck, immeasuarable tenacity, patience and a sense of humour to be successful. Of course, you could save yourself a lot of problems if you simply renewed your visa through an agent (OK, it might be expensive) but it'll save you having an aneurism or spontaneously combusting.

As for immigration moving to the Promenada? Well, it might certainly help improve the physical comfort of the users but it's likely the system(s) will still be the same. Regretfully, I I have this horrible feeling that it will just lead to numerous new threads blathering on about transport, access, waiting times etc. etc. etc.

Man up, j get on with it (and your life).

ust

Elgordo, if your extension expires on September 16th, then you could have come in up to 30 days early without losing days -- you'd still get a new extension 365 days from September 16. So, you should have started a few weeks earlier and (as said) started with the computer at 12:00:30 and refreshed the screen every few seconds, instead of waiting five minutes.

I thought one could renew up to 45 days in advance in Chiang Mai...? Wasn't that one of the nuggets from the Immigration visit to the CEC?

I thought one could renew up to 45 days in advance in Chiang Mai...? Wasn't that one of the nuggets from the Immigration visit to the CEC?

I was under the impression it was 30 days before the end of an extension..

Last year I had my appointment right out at 29 or so days and got a "tut tut.. very early" kind of frown.. I then pointed out how hard getting an appointment was and I wanted to have room for error if it failed and that closed that..

I had the same problem last November so I just went into their office and asked for an appointment. They told me to just show up at 5:00am and wait in line outside. It worked out fine and was finished before noon. People to line up early, but some chairs are provided. You want to be in LINE #2.

Relax, it'll work out, but do go a few weeks before your visa is set to expire. They will not dock you days from your current date and you'll still show the same Sept date for renewal next year. It's easy.

Last year I had my appointment right out at 29 or so days and got a "tut tut.. very early" kind of frown.. I then pointed out how hard getting an appointment was and I wanted to have room for error if it failed and that closed that..

ubonjoe is pretty knowledgeable about all things visa related.....his post #2 of the thread below leads one to believe it's 45 days in advance at CM. I seem to recall the "minutes" from the Immigration CEC visit stating same.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764968-annual-extension-for-retirement-at-chiang-mai-immigration/

Yes, I know they said you can get an extension up to 45 days in advance when Immigration came and spoke at the CEC meeting -- and it's on video on the internet, but frankly I wouldn't trust that statement. I always book appointments during the 30 day window.

Although I am not a statistician, I can not understand why you would feel September would be a "slow time" for renewals.

In fact, I would argue that September / October might even be weighted more heavily ... since it is the beginning of the cold weather in the northern hemisphere.

the pics show the 5th and 6th were open for you !

Yes I do have more days to try. Foolish me should have been trying back in August but as we age we take things for granted. Here in Thailand you cannot unfortunately. The government knows this is a growing problem but do little about it like making more slots available for online booking as the number of retirees has increased dramatically in recent years. At age 77 I should not be forced like some cattle beast to sit outside in a line up for 3 or 4 hours. So much for Thai respect for the elderly. Some jerks on TV say suck it up its obvious they must be new retirees who have not walked the walk. Once they get a few more years under their belt their Testosterone levels will drop dramatically. They in their ramblings show the utter lack of respect for the elderly which is becoming more prevalent every year. Tonight my g/f and I will be on separate computers trying. Also the tough part for me (not crying just stating a fact) is getting transportation to the office early in the morning as the taxi's are either not running or doing school runs. I wish to thank one and all who gave useful helpful answers in a kind manner. As for the 2 or 3 "suck it up" commentators well you definitely need a few years under your belt to teach you to respect your elders meaning me.

The "system" is broken if old folks need to get to the office before sunrise to wait in que for an administrative procedure that is 10 minutes long but can cost you more than a day. ...... no respect shown them, none should be expected from them.

Obviously all from "Nanny States" where they hold your hand (and wipe your bum for you). A little effort required, and you are helpless.

Get a life. I am 77 a little respect please and yes I can wipe my own arse

ubonjoe is pretty knowledgeable about all things visa related.....his post #2 of the thread below leads one to believe it's 45 days in advance at CM. I seem to recall the "minutes" from the Immigration CEC visit stating same.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764968-annual-extension-for-retirement-at-chiang-mai-immigration/

As Nancy stated these comments made on video are just words from one person. Words that cannot be trusted.

the pics show the 5th and 6th were open for you

They were not open last night.