Booking online for annual visa renewal crazy!

elgordo38

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PS to the above

Are there visa agents or someone that are somehow tying up all the new openings for online booking right after midnight when they become available. Something smells here. Is there someone out there that has booked a spot between the August 20th or so and September 16th that is not going to use it? I sure could

Why not take a logical look at this?

If the agents or others were deliberately booking up all the slots, than they would need to use a separate name and email address for each slot, because on-line bookings cannot be booked using company names (as far as I know?) or more than one person. And if the agents were using pseudonym names to take up the slots on a mass scale, which would mean scores of fictional applicants not turning up for their appointments over periods of 100 days, would rather arouse suspicion I would think.

The simple facts are, the present system cannot accommodate the extra work loads, it is at least 15 years behind to that effect and especially now that Thailand is a part of the Asien community, have failed to update the Immigration Department facilities accordingly.

Obviously, if the process continues on it`s present course, than sooner or later the system will come to a grinding halt, plus I can foresee either a bad accident happening in the building, considering the disrepair of the seating arrangements that are in danger of collapsing at any time or tempers flaring in there one day.

As the wise man says; like a boiler with no release valve and the pressure keeps building up and up; than something`s got to give.

PS to the above

Are there visa agents or someone that are somehow tying up all the new openings for online booking right after midnight when they become available. Something smells here. Is there someone out there that has booked a spot between the August 20th or so and September 16th that is not going to use it? I sure could

As far as I know, once booked on-line the slots are not transferable. I am not sure whether a slot can be cancelled either?

If a slot can be cancelled, than the person would have to let you know the exact time of cancellation so as you could book the slot immediately before someone else jumps in.

Extending our visas has become a lottery, a total disgrace.

Extending are one year permission to stay is not a lottery. It is a sure thing. Just fill in your papers correctly and it is no problem. If you are unable to do so there are several business in town that would be glad to do it for you. I am quite sure the immigration would appreciate it as there is no wasted time in fill this in here go get a copy of this and on the list goes.

PS to the above

The slots get tied up in a second and no visa agent is quick enough to book ten slots in a second.

There surely is inside help as I know it has opened full or almost full a minute after midnight, which leads me to think someone has access prior to it opening. You take a guess at who this might be?.

PS to the above

The slots get tied up in a second and no visa agent is quick enough to book ten slots in a second.

There surely is inside help as I know it has opened full or almost full a minute after midnight, which leads me to think someone has access prior to it opening. You take a guess at who this might be?.

Certainly no smells of roses emanating from that source!

My wife just scheduled her visa appointment. She waited until midnight, logged on, and got a 9:30 slot. Not a problem, just luck of the draw.

When you consider just how many people waiting every single day at Immigration, and realize that there are a bare minimum of scheduled slots, it's easy to understand why they fill up so quickly.

Yes it never ceases to amaze me how many people can not understand that there is only 10 slots open and they see up to 60 people a day.

I went in one day at 9:00 in the morning as I was going by there any how. I expected to be told to come back tomorrow. Instead I was told to come back at 3:30 in the afternoon which I very gratefully did.

When I got there I was given number 60. I asked the officer why They had been able to accommodate me. He said they normally figure on doing 50 a day. But there had been a whole bunch brought in together and they were all in perfect order. I suspected an agent but didn't complain. They served one more after I left.

PS to the above

Yes your right I noticed this last night that the site did not open till a full minute past midnight. Am I guessing what your guessing?

PS to the above

As far as I know, once booked on-line the slots are not transferable. I am not sure whether a slot can be cancelled either?

If a slot can be cancelled, than the person would have to let you know the exact time of cancellation so as you could book the slot immediately before someone else jumps in.

Extending are one year permission to stay is not a lottery. It is a sure thing. Just fill in your papers correctly and it is no problem. If you are unable to do so there are several business in town that would be glad to do it for you. I am quite sure the immigration would appreciate it as there is no wasted time in fill this in here go get a copy of this and on the list goes.

I give credit to most of what you say.

You are absolutely correct, especially regarding the older people who often turn up with inadequate or uncompleted paperwork looking confused, who expect the officers to assist them, that holds up the process substantially, although the burden should lie with the applicants to ensure their paperwork and documents are in order and correct, I have also witnessed many elderly farangs jumping the queue where the 90 day reports are concerned. Another problem is the elderly are not often computer savvy and have no idea how to apply on-line, which will place more strain on the system if and when the on-line 90 day report service ever gets working.

In my opinion those who do not have the appropriate paperwork and documents with them on application, should be sent away and have to either make another on-line appointment or join the queues again.and repeat this process until their paperwork is in order. As you quite rightly point out, for those who are unsure, can hire the services of companies to assist them with these matters.

PS to the above

I've been trying exactly the same - going in every day immediately after midnight since the 1st 100 day slot became available i.e. 26th August. We're now into September and they are all booked up. IMPOSSIBLE! I booked ok last year no problem with a choice of dates and times.

Something very, very fishy going on here. Even an agent couldn't possible book ALL the day's slots in less than a minute or 30 seconds!

I think palms have been greased by an agent or several agents to 'block book' the times and date.

What other explanation can there be?

Elgordo, could I respectfully suggest that at age 77, you consider the wisdom of hiring a visa agent to handle this annual task for you? OS Thai Visa and Assist Thai Visa are both very well regarded and charge very reasonable rates for simple extensions of retirement extensions. Something around 6,000 baht plus the usual fees to Immigration. This is something to consider, especially if your girlfriend is not the sort who could step in to do this task on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Why not get started with a visa agent now, before it reaches that point?

PS to the above

I've been trying exactly the same - going in every day immediately after midnight since the 1st 100 day slot became available i.e. 26th August. We're now into September and they are all booked up. IMPOSSIBLE! I booked ok last year no problem with a choice of dates and times.

Something very, very fishy going on here. Even an agent couldn't possible book ALL the day's slots in less than a minute or 30 seconds!

I think palms have been greased by an agent or several agents to 'block book' the times and date.

What other explanation can there be?

Perhaps you're not clearing the cache on your computer.

PS to the above

I give credit to most of what you say.

You are absolutely correct, especially regarding the older people who often turn up with inadequate or uncompleted paperwork looking confused, who expect the officers to assist them, that holds up the process substantially, although the burden should lie with the applicants to ensure their paperwork and documents are in order and correct, I have also witnessed many elderly farangs jumping the queue where the 90 day reports are concerned. Another problem is the elderly are not often computer savvy and have no idea how to apply on-line, which will place more strain on the system if and when the on-line 90 day report service ever gets working.

In my opinion those who do not have the appropriate paperwork and documents with them on application, should be sent away and have to either make another on-line appointment or join the queues again.and repeat this process until their paperwork is in order. As you quite rightly point out, for those who are unsure, can hire the services of companies to assist them with these matters.

I am on a pension can you lend me the 15,000 to 20,000 bahts to solicit these loan sharks. I used them the first year I arrived here and they do seem to have an inside track which does not seem fair. I agree with all the above and have my paperwork in order all I ask for is a level playing field. I am obviously playing against a loaded deck.

For Pete's sake, you lot, stop bitching and just tell General Fixit. Job done.

Give up being a stand up comedian get a real job. Hmm sweeping the streets comes to mind you would be doing something useful for a change and it might teach you some humility which you are obviously lacking.

Obviously all from "Nanny States" where they hold your hand (and wipe your bum for you). A little effort required, and you are helpless.

Get a life. I am 77 a little respect please and yes I can wipe my own arse

I was not criticizing you, but making the point that the country you come from (your turn of phrase suggests the UK) would tend to hold your hand and guide you through the process...but don't expect that here in Thailand (without paying through the nose for it)

BTW, You can count the number of years I am behind you easily on one hand. (I'm 73)

BTW2. I am not a new retiree jerk, I've done my retirement extensions for 5 years, without problems.

Edited by rawhod

Proposed new premises, should be more efficient?

90 days available by mail and probably online in the very near future. The bread and butter of the agents may be disappearing.

That leaves the visa route to make their income, it stands to reason that the "online booking" of slots corners a large market for those frustrated by the lack of, and difficulty in booking slots now. This was not happening only a few months/ even weeks ago.

The agents have an awful lot to gain by monopolising the slots? Too difficult to book all the slots within seconds, should be shouldn't it?

Elgordo, I think you'll find that the two companies I mentioned aren't going to charge 15,000 - 20,000 baht to handle a simple annual extension for someone who has been here for a while. Yes, the first year someone is here the fee is higher because they have to explain the process and probably walk them thru a conversion from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa. But, if it's a simple extension from an existing retirement extension the fee is much, much lower.

With nearly 1400 posts I'd guess that you're reasonably experienced vis-a-vis "immigration". So I really don't understand why you simply can't just accept the fact that the online system is a step forward. However, the vagaries of this online system are much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck and immeasuarable tenacity and patience to be successful. If you couldn't get on to the system well, that's tough luck for you, but it seems you didn't exactly try to access it many times (twice), but went to the whining and whingeing route about it to the audience on Thai Visa. Well that's not going to help either, because Thai Visa itself (and the users especially) exert no influence whatsoever on any government departments.

The vagaries of the online system (which is a step forward) is much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck, immeasuarable tenacity, patience and a sense of humour to be successful. Of course, you could save yourself a lot of problems if you simply renewed your visa through an agent (OK, it might be expensive) but it'll save you having an aneurism or spontaneously combusting.

As for immigration moving to the Promenada? Well, it might certainly help improve the physical comfort of the users but it's likely the system(s) will still be the same. Regretfully, I I have this horrible feeling that it will just lead to numerous new threads blathering on about transport, access, waiting times etc. etc. etc.

Man up, j get on with it (and your life).

ust

And you with only 60 some posts find yourself in a position to come down hard on other folks? Hummmmm.

Elgordo, I think you'll find that the two companies I mentioned aren't going to charge 15,000 - 20,000 baht to handle a simple annual extension for someone who has been here for a while. Yes, the first year someone is here the fee is higher because they have to explain the process and probably walk them thru a conversion from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa. But, if it's a simple extension from an existing retirement extension the fee is much, much lower.

Last time I asked it was over 7000 baht, including the 1900 gov. fee.

Gordo:

Get real, stop bitching, stop speculating, stop wanting fair and just focus on getting it done. The game is what it is so you have to play it. You have options:

1. Try online again and again and perhaps with some help, like some of the advice here. Many folks to not get an appointment the first try or ever the second.

2. Use an visa agent at a cost of about 5,000 and perhaps closer to 3,000.

3. Hire somebody for a few hundred baht to go there at 5am or whatever time and get you an queue number, Also have them inquire about what time you need to be there explaining that you are elderly and do not want to spend too long there. Immigration Officers can be very helpful but you take your negative vib in and they may make you pay.

4. there are probably others which some posters brighter than I can add

I am on a pension can you lend me the 15,000 to 20,000 bahts to solicit these loan sharks. I used them the first year I arrived here and they do seem to have an inside track which does not seem fair. I agree with all the above and have my paperwork in order all I ask for is a level playing field. I am obviously playing against a loaded deck.

2 points to make here. Firstly there are many who still do not have a clue as to the Immigration visa extension requirements and procedures, both younger and older who fail to properly do there research before hand.

And I agree, the Chiang Mai Immigration Department systems are deployable and certainly not ideal. I too have wondered how these agents operate. I am sure that the present Chiang Mai Immigration chaos has deterred many farangs from settling here or made them decide to move on somewhere else.. But for the meantime, I am sorry to say; we are stuck with it, all of us in the same boat.

Obviously all from "Nanny States" where they hold your hand (and wipe your bum for you). A little effort required, and you are helpless.

I was not criticizing you, but making the point that the country you come from (your turn of phrase suggests the UK) would tend to hold your hand and guide you through the process...but don't expect that here in Thailand (without paying through the nose for it)

BTW, You can count the number of years I am behind you easily on one hand. (I'm 73)

BTW2. I am not a new retiree jerk, I've done my retirement extensions for 5 years, without problems.

I don't see what point you're trying to make really. You've either never dealt with UK authorities or you have a very short memory if you have. They don't 'hold your hand and guide you through the process' when you're applying for passports, driving licences etcetera, You're expected to be able to read and sort it out for yourself. (What UK immigration are like to deal with I wouldn't know as I've never had the pleasure)

I don't think that it's unreasonable for somebody to suggest that a system where people have to start queuing up outside a government office at 5am (3 or more hours before it actually opens) is broken. It's patently ridiculous.

With nearly 1400 posts I'd guess that you're reasonably experienced vis-a-vis "immigration". So I really don't understand why you simply can't just accept the fact that the online system is a step forward. However, the vagaries of this online system are much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck and immeasuarable tenacity and patience to be successful. If you couldn't get on to the system well, that's tough luck for you, but it seems you didn't exactly try to access it many times (twice), but went to the whining and whingeing route about it to the audience on Thai Visa. Well that's not going to help either, because Thai Visa itself (and the users especially) exert no influence whatsoever on any government departments.

The vagaries of the online system (which is a step forward) is much the same as online systems everywhere, inasmuch as one generally needs a measure of good luck, immeasuarable tenacity, patience and a sense of humour to be successful. Of course, you could save yourself a lot of problems if you simply renewed your visa through an agent (OK, it might be expensive) but it'll save you having an aneurism or spontaneously combusting.

As for immigration moving to the Promenada? Well, it might certainly help improve the physical comfort of the users but it's likely the system(s) will still be the same. Regretfully, I I have this horrible feeling that it will just lead to numerous new threads blathering on about transport, access, waiting times etc. etc. etc.

Man up, j get on with it (and your life).

ust

And you with only 60 some posts find yourself in a position to come down hard on other folks? Hummmmm.

And you Circusman (like many others), shouldn't confuse quantity with quality.

I go out 130 days and start clicking it may not be the day and time I prefer but I'll take it if it shows up. Last year went on a Sunday morning about 10am and 6slots open you kust never know.

Gordo:

Get real, stop bitching, stop speculating, stop wanting fair and just focus on getting it done. The game is what it is so you have to play it. You have options:

1. Try online again and again and perhaps with some help, like some of the advice here. Many folks to not get an appointment the first try or ever the second.

2. Use an visa agent at a cost of about 5,000 and perhaps closer to 3,000.

3. Hire somebody for a few hundred baht to go there at 5am or whatever time and get you an queue number, Also have them inquire about what time you need to be there explaining that you are elderly and do not want to spend too long there. Immigration Officers can be very helpful but you take your negative vib in and they may make you pay.

4. there are probably others which some posters brighter than I can add

I was 77 yesterday and have entered the bitchers club. At this age I am entitled and you sir are not a gentleman.

I don't see what point you're trying to make really. You've either never dealt with UK authorities or you have a very short memory if you have. They don't 'hold your hand and guide you through the process' when you're applying for passports, driving licences etcetera, You're expected to be able to read and sort it out for yourself. (What UK immigration are like to deal with I wouldn't know as I've never had the pleasure)

I don't think that it's unreasonable for somebody to suggest that a system where people have to start queuing up outside a government office at 5am (3 or more hours before it actually opens) is broken. It's patently ridiculous.

No I am not a Brit I am a Canuck so its best not to make assumptions. Yes it is unreasonable to ask a 77 year old man to get up at 3.00 a.m. and stand there like some cattle beast for hours. I have no car or motorbike and taxi's do not run that early so I guess according to you I should walk right? Part of Thai culture is respect for older people but immigration has sure dropped the ball on dealing with the elderly. Kind of reminds me of a movie I saw last week called Empire of the Sun.

I go out 130 days and start clicking it may not be the day and time I prefer but I'll take it if it shows up. Last year went on a Sunday morning about 10am and 6slots open you kust never know.

Things have done a Tetonic shift since booking online last year. The good old days are gone in more ways than one. I think the system has be hijacked for profit somehow. We are slowly being steered towards the visa agents. This system considering our ages should be a dignified system(which is part of Thai culture) but its not. It has deteriorated into online gambling winner take all. Pity

Am not sure what you people are talking about, lived here six years Bangkok, hua hin , korat.

I am a retiree have to gi in annually to prove how much pension I get inc a letter from usa embassy, in Chang

Wattana, hua hin, korat maximum is one hour wait, are you guys complaining just about Chaing Mai ?.