Told to get a visa, not use visa exempt, next time at Swampy

Since I retired in the uk I have been to Thailand some seventeen times as a tourist in the last four and a half years, always on a visa exemption. And always for about 30 days. Three side trips to neighbouring countries means that I have about 20 visa exempt stamps in my passport. Last time I arrived in April the Immigration Officer noted that I had been many times and asked to see the ticket out, which I showed her. As usual my flight out was in about 4 weeks so that was ok. She asked me why I was coming to Thailand to which I replied "holidays" and she looked as though she doubted this. They were all holidays and I have never worked in Thailand. She told me she would let me in this time and to get a visa next time. My intention is to continue to do 30 day trips every few months. If I start to get visas do forum members think Immigration will be happier if I have 4 tourist visas a year rather than 4 visa exempt stamps? I know I'm not working but a visa doesn't prove I'm not. What are other members' experiences of frequent, though not back to back, visits?

The immigration officer probably noticed the 6 entry alert that appears on the screen.

If they did not pull you to the side for an interview I would not worry about it that much.

Just have 20k baht in cash or it's equivalent to show when you enter the country.

• Like 2

Just get a new passport!

Think you will be out of free pages anyway.

Amja

Getting a new passport does not eliminate immigration's records of your previous entries in their database. As soon as you enter on a new passport the 2 passports will be linked and the the old records will appear,

• Like 2

The immigration officer probably noticed the 6 entry alert that appears on the screen.

If they did not pull you to the side for an interview I would not worry about it that much.

Just have 20k baht in cash or it's equivalent to show when you enter the country.

6 entries within what time period?

6 entries within what time period?

As far I a know there is time period of time for it. It is just a total of 6 entries. It is then up to the immigration officer to look at the record or passport to determine if the person is abusing the visa exempt entries privilege. They should be just be looking for back to back visa runs.

I was told to get a visa also last Febr. and I went back on visa exemption in May without a problem. She did flip through my pages a bit and hesitate, but stamped me through this month. I average about 4 visa exemptions a year and always have at least 20k baht and a return ticket just in case. This time I was armed with pay check receipts in case I was interogated. Late last year and early this year I did do two 30 day extensions for some surgery and another side trip to Cambodia for about 5 days. It was on my return from Cambodia at Don Muang I was told next time to get a proper visa. I asked why, what was wrong and I was told I was only allowed 6 visa exemptions a year.

I wasn't aware of the 'flagging a passport' after 6 entries. I work 'month on month off' and the last 2 times I've entered at BKK they've mentioned that I see to be a frequent visitor. Accruing to their rules I'm doing everything correctly, staying less than 180 days a year with no stay more than 26 days. Two trips ago the Immigration Officer even took the time to show me his screen that had two boxes on it. Admit or Don't Admit! It's a little worrying to think that if I smiled the wrong way I could be denied entry. But, like I say, I'm doing everything by their guidelines.

I work all around SE Asia. My office and official residence are both in Hong Kong, but I think of Bangkok as my home. I generally travel during the week and return to BKK for weekends and the occasional week. Last year I made 37 separate visits to BKK. My longest stay was 18 days.

Quite often when I go through immigration, the agent flips through my passport, clearly noting the many Thailand entry and exit stamps. But I've never had them say a thing... So if there really is a "6 visa exemption limit", it's quite selectively applied.

Quite often when I go through immigration, the agent flips through my passport, clearly noting the many Thailand entry and exit stamps. But I've never had them say a thing... So if there really is a "6 visa exemption limit", it's quite selectively applied.

I live in Singapore (with USA passport) and come to BKK at least once a month with normal stay being around 5 to 10 days. In last 3+ years of doing this, I have been asked only once for my SG employment information (which she wrote down next to my stamp). Otherwise, it's been fairly quick processing (I go through premier lane with ABTC card).

I assume, in yours and my case, it's due to the fact that we don't stay the full 30 days allocated by the visa exemption.

I wasn't aware of the 'flagging a passport' after 6 entries. I work 'month on month off' and the last 2 times I've entered at BKK they've mentioned that I see to be a frequent visitor. Accruing to their rules I'm doing everything correctly, staying less than 180 days a year with no stay more than 26 days. Two trips ago the Immigration Officer even took the time to show me his screen that had two boxes on it. Admit or Don't Admit! It's a little worrying to think that if I smiled the wrong way I could be denied entry. But, like I say, I'm doing everything by their guidelines.

I've stayed more than 180 days a year for the past 6+ years and all my trips have been longer than 26 days.

AFAIK there are no such limits.

I'd like to further clarify that I'm sure there is no 6 exemption per year rule and that my experience is only from an official making up rules as they go along or possibly the 6 per year is just a parameter that sets off an alert.

I can only report on what happened and what I was told and speculate as to the reasons why.

I was also told yesterday that next time I enter I will need a visa. I work a 2 weeks on 1 week off roster and spend my 1 week off in thailand with my thai wife and daughter. What visa should I apply for that will give me multiple entries.?

I was also told yesterday that next time I enter I will need a visa. I work a 2 weeks on 1 week off roster and spend my 1 week off in thailand with my thai wife and daughter. What visa should I apply for that will give me multiple entries.?

You could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You can get it in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

You could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You can get it in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

Joe, what do you believe the thinking is about frequent short visa exempt entries in situations like this? I get the impression that some immigration officers are taking the position that it is not tourism, and should not be allowed. Other officers seem to feel that, as long as you are not working in Thailand, it is OK. Is this a grey area? How likely is someone like this to be refused entry without a visa?

Joe, what do you believe the thinking is about frequent short visa exempt entries in situations like this? I get the impression that some immigration officers are taking the position that it is not tourism, and should not be allowed. Other officers seem to feel that, as long as you are not working in Thailand, it is OK. Is this a grey area? How likely is someone like this to be refused entry without a visa?

I would say it is unlikely a person would be refused entry. The denial of entry can only be done under section 12 of the immigration act. There is no other law that can be used. Most denials are done for not having financial proof or suspicion of working here.

Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash is will satisfy the financial proof request. Working here does not normally come up unless a person is staying here longer than 30 days.

I would say it is unlikely a person would be refused entry. The denial of entry can only be done under section 12 of the immigration act. There is no other law that can be used. Most denials are done for not having financial proof or suspicion of working here.

Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash is will satisfy the financial proof request. Working here does not normally come up unless a person is staying here longer than 30 days.

I trust your judgment. My concern would be that this is a "tourist visa exemption". As such, it could be denied as not really being for tourism purposes. The term "tourism" does not seem to be well defined. Some consulates limit visits for tourism purpose. The existence of non immigrant visas with purposes other than either business or tourism suggest that just not working may be insufficient to be considered a tourist. Visiting ones family would not be considered tourism if in ones own country. It is not clear that it is tourism because your wife and child reside abroad. On the other hand, a pragmatic approach would be to accept the visit is in Thailand's own interests, so why create a problem.

I'm an American working in Singapore and have been living here in Bangkok for the past 3 years, with one extended absence, but always leaving the country before 30 day limit, sometimes 3-4 times a month, but for the past two months, just before visa date expiry. Never, ever had a problem before but last week I was stopped on arrival at BKK, the agent, after flipping through my gazillion or so entry/exit stamps, called his supervisor over and she asked if I was living or working here. I said no, I was based in Singapore and showed them my Singapore employment pass. That didn't seem to convince them of much and was told that my passport had been flagged for being here more than 90 days in a year and next time, to come back with a visa. The agent was constantly typing what she was telling him in Thai into the computer. I do want to say they were quite nice about it.

I was told by a law firm that I could easily get a 1-year multiple entry work visa but I had to go to back the US to do it, as they were extremely hard to get in Asia. They offered to handle it for me, provide me with a letter of employment, and said they had never had anyone turned down. Not sure how shady this is, but the fees are quite reasonable and I guess it's worth a try, so I'm headed back next week. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm an American working in Singapore and have been living here in Bangkok for the past 3 years, with one extended absence, but always leaving the country before 30 day limit, sometimes 3-4 times a month, but for the past two months, just before visa date expiry. Never, ever had a problem before but last week I was stopped on arrival at BKK, the agent, after flipping through my gazillion or so entry/exit stamps, called his supervisor over and she asked if I was living or working here. I said no, I was based in Singapore and showed them my Singapore employment pass. That didn't seem to convince them of much and was told that my passport had been flagged for being here more than 90 days in a year and next time, to come back with a visa. The agent was constantly typing what she was telling him in Thai into the computer. I do want to say they were quite nice about it.

I was told by a law firm that I could easily get a 1-year multiple entry work visa but I had to go to back the US to do it, as they were extremely hard to get in Asia. They offered to handle it for me, provide me with a letter of employment, and said they had never had anyone turned down. Not sure how shady this is, but the fees are quite reasonable and I guess it's worth a try, so I'm headed back next week. Anyone have any experience with this?

If you are working for a company in Singapore you may be able to get the a multiple entry non-b visa at the Thai embassy there if your employer will supply the required documents.

If you are not actually working in Thailand then the "deal" sounds extremely "shady" !

Mutiple entry "B" visas can be obtained, with the correct paperwork, legally within the Region.

Generally speaking, the long-stay visas are easier to obtain in home country, especially if you use an honorary consulate. So he was right. A letter of invitation from a business may get you a multiple, non-o in many cases.

I did something similar years ago with the ED visa, but it was more hands-on, and took about 10 days to complete the process. But that specific process where it is done by mail may be limited now if they require notary affidavit. But the underlying process is more or less the same, whether you go back yourself or use a law firm or visa firm (are they in the USA?)

The multiple-entry non-B visa is issued by Thai consulates for the purpose of travelling to Thailand for business, eg to visit companies to discuss business.

Hi everyone

I too have had an escalating problem at swampy. Been coming to LOS since March last year on visa exempt enties every month. I work a 2 week on 3 week off rota offshore in the UK.

2 months ago I was questioned at the desk by the officer " why you come Thailand, you work here?" kind of stuff. I said no, i come for holiday. Went away to speak to supervisor and then let me through.

Last month I was taken away by a supervisor and asked a few extra questions and asked for proof of where I worked. I had a UK bank statment showing my wages going in and she let me through. No mention of 6 visa limit or anything else. She did also ask me about who I knew in Thailand which I was a bit wary of as I wasnt sure where it was going.

I stay in a rented condo in Bangkok with my Thai girlfriend. I wasnt sure how much of this to tell immigration in case they say "oh you need a visa xyz for that, come back when you have one".

So, I am returning tomorrow with a little trepidation as I have booked my next 3 flight to LOS already and all my clothes ect are in my condo. Hopefully things will go ok but if not:

1) If they ask where I am staying is it ok to say I have rented a condo?

2) Is it ok to say I have a Thai girlfriend?

3) If I am refused entry can I go to Cambodia/Vietnam or will I be sent back directly to the UK?

4) Would getting a new passport make things easier?

I am going to get married to my girlfriend next year but she has said if their is a problem we could get married sooner but have the big bash at the village next year as planned.

Thanks for your help

David

1. A new passport will immediately be linked by the computer system to the old passport and your "history"

2. Nothing is lost by being honest with the Immigration Officers .

3. A two week on three week off rota would be, lets say, uncommon

4. Evidence of accessible funds being available abroad is helpful as is evidence of being employed outside Thailand .

5. A booked flight out and possession of 20, 000 Bht cash will ensure entry .

Hi everyone

I too have had an escalating problem at swampy. Been coming to LOS since March last year on visa exempt enties every month. I work a 2 week on 3 week off rota offshore in the UK.

2 months ago I was questioned at the desk by the officer " why you come Thailand, you work here?" kind of stuff. I said no, i come for holiday. Went away to speak to supervisor and then let me through.

Last month I was taken away by a supervisor and asked a few extra questions and asked for proof of where I worked. I had a UK bank statment showing my wages going in and she let me through. No mention of 6 visa limit or anything else. She did also ask me about who I knew in Thailand which I was a bit wary of as I wasnt sure where it was going.

I stay in a rented condo in Bangkok with my Thai girlfriend. I wasnt sure how much of this to tell immigration in case they say "oh you need a visa xyz for that, come back when you have one".

So, I am returning tomorrow with a little trepidation as I have booked my next 3 flight to LOS already and all my clothes ect are in my condo. Hopefully things will go ok but if not:

1) If they ask where I am staying is it ok to say I have rented a condo?

2) Is it ok to say I have a Thai girlfriend?

3) If I am refused entry can I go to Cambodia/Vietnam or will I be sent back directly to the UK?

4) Would getting a new passport make things easier?

I am going to get married to my girlfriend next year but she has said if their is a problem we could get married sooner but have the big bash at the village next year as planned.

Thanks for your help

David

Just tell them you stay with your girlfriend, have the address with you. Or better yet tell them the address in Thai.