How about if IHOP, Denny's, Fuddruckers, Chili's came to LOS

Interesting to see at the U.S.A-Thailand Fair that's ending today at CentralWorld that the U.S. Consulate had a display area on U.S. companies that are looking for master franchisee's to expand their businesses into Thailand.

All the names I listed in the title of this thread and more were among those that had promotional materials out looking for some entity to bring their brands to Thailand. Just wondering, when if ever any of them will be expanding here....

post-58284-0-25738800-1433063611_thumb.j

The info material IHOP put out, for example, says they typically require their international franchisees to build at least 3 restaurants and have at least $1 million net worth for each restaurant buing built, along with cash assets of at least $1 million. Royalties to IHOP of 5.5% of continuing sales. Initial fee per store of $40K. Plus setup and territorial exclusivity fees. Plus spending 3.5% annually on local marketing. Plus a 1% brand administration fee payable directly to IHOP. Plus the cost of IHOP trainers to come and help local staff and management at opening.

Is it possible to make any money under that kind of arrangement???

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One item missing on that list is Wendy's. licklips.gif

I would like to see Denny's come over here and: 1) Church's Fried Chicken; 2) Whataburger and Wendy's; 3) Taco Bell (given that we really can't get decent Mexican food over here (yes, I know that Taco Bell does not serve decent Mexican food); 4) some fast food American-Chinese place.

Denny was here before. Wendy's. Arby's. Popeye's. Shoney's used to be here. Most probably failed in the 1977 crash.

I remember Popeye's in the 80's in Bangkok on Sukhumvit around Soi 1 or 2 across the tracks as I made a run for it when I arrived. biggrin.png There was Popeye's at the airport not that long ago. Never saw a Wendy's though.

Denny was here before.

Is that really true, UG? Hard to imagine. Do you remember any details of when and where?

Every time I go back to the U.S., I binge on IHOP or Denny's breakfasts every day!!!!

Nothing here quite matches their food, especially the breakfast menus.

3) Taco Bell (given that we really can't get decent Mexican food over here (yes, I know that Taco Bell does not serve decent Mexican food);

Dunno if anyone else here has tried them, but there's a relatively new single-location (in Thailand AFAIK) Mexican food place on the 6th floor of Central World called Zambrero. It's a small shop near the Coldstone Creamery there but has seating inside with a row of maybe 10 small tables along a long wall.

I'm become quite fond of the place, especially for their quite large (handful) sized soft flour tortilla burritos that run 189b net. Choice of beef, pork or chicken, I believe, along with a veggie version that includes their version of guacamole (which is a paid add-on on their meat burritos). They fix all their items in front of you, and you can tell them what items you want or don't want included (kind of like building a Subway sandwich).

They also have about a half dozen different flavored sauces, and you can pick your choice to go inside the burrito. My favorite is their Verde sauce, which is really flavorful. They use white rice on the inside (which wouldn't be my choice), and their frijoles look kind of funny. But surprisingly, once it's all put together, their burritos actually taste pretty good, especially if you like the fresh lettuce, and other diced veggies like jalapenos, onions, corn, etc that they put inside.

They seem to be an export of an Australian chain that says it specializes in healthy Mexican food.

http://www.zambrero.com/about

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It would be nice to see IHOP or Denny's.It's hard to find restaurants that serve pancakes and Frenchtoast in Thailand.

I was really surprised that McDonalds don't serve Hotcakes in Thailand.They are A popular item in the U.S.

It would be nice to see IHOP or Denny's.It's hard to find restaurants that serve pancakes and Frenchtoast in Thailand.

I was really surprised that McDonalds don't serve Hotcakes in Thailand.They are A popular item in the U.S.

Actually, there are at least in BKK quite a lot of places that do serve pancakes and waffles, though I'd say french toast is much rarer... Whether their offerings are any good, though, is always the question.

My current favorite for both pancakes and waffles is Dean and DeLuca at Central Embassy, where a really substantial waffle or pancake plate runs about 250b, and comes with diced berries and a quite good berry sauce. They serve the same two plates at their Chong Nonsi location as well.

Now, trying to find a comparable version of Denny's or IHOP's hash browns in Thailand... That's something I've never seen come close...at least in my travels here. tongue.png PS - I hate frozen, pre-formed hash brown patties!!!

Denny was here before.

Is that really true, UG? Hard to imagine. Do you remember any details of when and where?

Every time I go back to the U.S., I binge on IHOP or Denny's breakfasts every day!!!!

I bet your cardiologist wouldn't agree.

I bet your cardiologist wouldn't agree.

Ahh...but it's maybe one week every year, or even every 2 years.

I think my heart can stand a bit of sin, in an otherwise virtuous lifestyle! biggrin.png

Last time, I believe I split my breakfasts between pumpkin nut and gingerbread pancake offerings... I think Denny's had the pumpkin, and IHOP had the gingerbread, apparently, for the Christmas season at the time of my last trip. Ohhh man!!!! What a breakfast!!!!

BTW, those were always special, promotional menu items, so each dish was usually priced around $6. MMMMmmmmmmm....

Given the oppressive costs of US franchises, it would be better for someone here to emulate a 24-hour full menu family restaurant in the Denny's vein.

There is nothing particularly mysterious about these places' food, preparation or ingredients.

Unfortunately, all the "good breakfast" places at least in Chiang Mai are pathetic jokes. An overcooked tiny hotdog, oil-blasted overcooked eggs, a bit of slimy heated tomato, a dabble of canned baked beans, a few cubes of baked potato and white bread toast. (And oddly, many farangs praise this slop.)

Any American junior high student could make a breakfast that would blow the "best" of Chiang Mai (Thailand?) right out of the water. Maybe someone should hire a kid from the US to come and start up a local brand with authentically good food.

I think bringing on the rest of these chains will result in a nation of fatties like the US. Old hands here in Thailand say there were few overweight Thais 12-15 years ago before American fast food arrived. The social costs will be very high with all the health costs of caring for an overweight population.

I made pancakes, candies, and all of the goodies for nieces last time I was in Thailand. They all loved it, the wife's mother was not too happy about it..... But it sure was fun for the kids, and I enjoyed it! That is what counts......

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Chick-Fil-A

I'd be most happy with this franchise and a Popeye's in BKK.

Chili's is a strong concept with exceptional value.

I've owned 3 franchises (ZUZU Mexican & Frulatti) and you pay thru the nose a wide variety of fees.

I'm going to come to Thailand and just do it myself and keep the 10%+++ that you owe them in fees and

worthless advertising fees, etc.

I think bringing on the rest of these chains will result in a nation of fatties like the US. Old hands here in Thailand say there were few overweight Thais 12-15 years ago before American fast food arrived. The social costs will be very high with all the health costs of caring for an overweight population.

It wouldn't help but it's wrong to blame Thailand's growing obesity problem only on western chains.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually " Tallguy", franchise holders are among the most wealthy in the US and that is why,

with their huge brand loyalty, the names listed can/do command high entry fees/costs. They

don't want Ma/Pa down at the heels entrepreneurs but people who have, in some way, already

proven themselves !