New Computer

lelapin

I am planning to replace my existing computer. My main areas of usage are emails, checking about 10 of my favorite web sites daily, Skype, watching movies etc on an HDD link to my TV and frequent use of Word and Xcell. I do not need to transport it anywhere or have a large screen as I work with a remote keyboard/mouse and my TV screen from my armchair. I would like to have a computer that won't have lots of pre-installed software that I will need to remove before it functions efficiently. I will need at least 3 USB and HDD ports.

I am unsure whether to go for a laptop or PC and was wondering which approach would be cheaper for the same speed and capacity. Any ideas from the IT boffins out there and also any suggestions where I might get the best price and after sales support in Pattaya.

Fairly basic usage so nothing fancy required. If anything goes wrong then a desktop is easier and cheaper to fix than a laptop.

A desktop with an Intel i3 processor, 4 GB RAM, a 128GB SSD, a 1TB or 2TB HDD for all your movies and you are good to go. Check to see your motherboard has at least two USB 3.0 ports. Just don't cut corners with a cheap power supply. Get a 500W brand name PSU like Corsair for about 2000 baht. I'm sure there are shops in Pattaya who can put this together for you if you can't do it yourself. Get yourself a genuine version of Windows rather than the pirated copy some shops like to offer. Otherwise buy an off the shelf Lenovo or HP Compaq.

Edited by kkerry

I recommend getting at least a 256GB SSD. I recently upgraded from a 128GB to a 256GB because I was running out of space. I have a lot of installed programs plus a fair number of data files. I ran CCleaner regularly but just didn't have enough space for Win 8.1 and all of the rest. I think that it's best to spend a little more and have plenty of space for the OS, programs and the page file. Of course, all data should be saved on the secondary drive.

I recommend getting at least a 256GB SSD. I recently upgraded from a 128GB to a 256GB because I was running out of space. I have a lot of installed programs plus a fair number of data files. I ran CCleaner regularly but just didn't have enough space for Win 8.1 and all of the rest. I think that it's best to spend a little more and have plenty of space for the OS, programs and the page file. Of course, all data should be saved on the secondary drive.

I have no problems with 128 GB as long as I don't install games. (and have a 500 GB HD)

+1 for desktop pc, all the hardware sits in a big cabinet, so very easy to repair/upgrade as mentioned in earlier post.

When I retire my desktop from 2009, it will not actually retire but will be either hooked up to the TV in the living room or go up in my sons room.

Then I will get another desk top for my man cave.

With lots of usb 3.0 ports and ssd drive, graphics card supporting 4k TV & the whole 9 yards clap2.gif

I like a laptop because it can go anywhere I go and I like to travel. Of course I have backups on an external that stays at home.

I have my own "sort of" docking station which is a powered USB 3.0 6 port appliance. Into that I plug my large keyboard, external, and so on. I also have a 32" monitor attached to the laptop. I have a 500GB SSD which I am loving.

I just bought new laptop which I am setting up. There is a free program called "Should I remove it" which I like. It lists everything installed on your computer, tells you what it is and rates it on a graph from red to green for uninstalling. Then with CCleaner it's a snap to clean out the junk.

I have a lot of work to do synchronizing my files, installing utilities and other programs, getting all of my settings and all done, so I don't know of an easy way. If this wasn't a genuine factory installed Win 8.1 with a restore partition I'd just Sysprep my SDD and put it into this new laptop and boot it and be finished except for drivers.

Laptop or desktop, up to you as they say.

Fairly basic usage so nothing fancy required. If anything goes wrong then a desktop is easier and cheaper to fix than a laptop.

A desktop with an Intel i3 processor, 4 GB RAM, a 128GB SSD, a 1TB or 2TB HDD for all your movies and you are good to go. Check to see your motherboard has at least two USB 3.0 ports. Just don't cut corners with a cheap power supply. Get a 500W brand name PSU like Corsair for about 2000 baht. I'm sure there are shops in Pattaya who can put this together for you if you can't do it yourself. Get yourself a genuine version of Windows rather than the pirated copy some shops like to offer. Otherwise buy an off the shelf Lenovo or HP Compaq.

While of course we should all use genuine software, technically the pirate one works exactly the same. In several cases the pirate one works better (when changing components and windows believe it is a different computer). Microsoft sometimes makes it hard for honest people.

While of course we should all use genuine software, technically the pirate one works exactly the same. In several cases the pirate one works better (when changing components and windows believe it is a different computer). Microsoft sometimes makes it hard for honest people.

The Meegopad T02 I linked to before, costs 3,500 Baht including genuine Windows - that's hard to beat :)