webfact

IF PROTECTED
I'll stay on if people want me to: PM

KRIS BHROMSUTHI,
NITIPOL KIRAVANICH,
ANAPAT DEECHUAY
THE NATION

30261647-02_big.jpg

PRAYUT SAYS HE COULD CONTINUE UNTIL REFORMS ARE COMPLETED IF HE IS PROTECTED FROM CRITICISM

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday stated for the first time that he was ready to remain in power for another two years to complete the national reforms.

But he said he needed protection from criticisms both inside and outside Thailand if his government were to continue running the country. The PM expected to be accused of wanting to extend his time in power.

"If everybody wants me to stay on, I will do it. But you should help protect me from [criticisms] both outside and in the country. People will accuse me of wanting to extend my time in power. I don't want power and I don't gain any benefit. I just want to make the country better," Prayut said.

Prayut's remarks came as a group of National Reform Council (NRC) members yesterday announced their plan to start a signature campaign to gauge public opinion on whether reforms should be completed before the next general election.

Paiboon Nititawan, an NRC member, said considerable public support for the idea would lead to a national referendum. Speaking at a press conference at the Parliament building yesterday, he said the government and relevant state agencies would not initiate such a survey due to possible allegations of conflict of interest.

Paiboon said his group would suggest that the draft constitution be revised to require that a national referendum be held to determine whether the voters want the reforms to be completed within two years, before the next election is held.

Prayut said his government would not get involved in the issue and he insisted that it was up to the electorate to decide if the junta should remain in office while the reforms are being completed.

He said he was indifferent to the idea of some NRC members that he remain in power while the reforms are completed but that his overstay must be legitimate.

According to the roadmap set in the interim constitution, the next general election will take place after the new constitution comes into effect next year. He said the people who want him to stay should find a way for that to happen, such as supporting the idea in a referendum. He suggested that the draft charter would need to be revised in order to allow him and his government to remain in power for the sake of reforms.

"You want democracy, don't you? You say I am not democratic because I was not elected. You admonish me every day and foreigners keep asking me when there will be an election. It's a matter for all Thai people, not me, to decide Thailand's future," Prayut said. He admitted that despite significant domestic support for him to extend his time as PM, such a notion would not be welcomed by the international community.

The PM attended a joint meeting of the Cabinet, the NRC and the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) at Parliament yesterday on the government's achievements.

He and his Cabinet were expected to face tough questioning at the meeting, but the NRC and NLA members instead gave them words of encouragement and support.

Paiboon and other NRC members such as constitution drafter, Tuenjai Sinthuvnik, and Niran Pantharakit asked Prayut if he could extend his stay in office to set in motion the reform agenda set by the NRC. They also raised concerns that if the country is returned to civilian government too soon, it could fall back into yet another crisis.

Before the meeting, each NLA and NRC member was given a piece of paper and a booklet on the government's achievements and they were asked to submit their questions to the government in writing.

It was considered an unusual way for members of parliament to scrutinise the government or ask critical questions about its performance.

The PM was the first to speak, explaining how the government is working according to the roadmap and is at the second stage, which includes the process of drafting the new constitution. He explained that the government can exercise its power by using Article 44 of the 2014 provisional constitution to administrate the country, but now every issue can be solved this way. He asked reformers to carry out the government's plan.

Prayut insisted that national reform is highly necessary to push the country forward. "National reform is a heart, I have started to stop the blood, now we need to give it saline water, and in the future we must add Vitamin C to strengthen it [the heart] in order for it to explore the outside world such as the AEC [Asean Economic Community] and the bigger community," the PM said metaphorically.

If we do not push for national reform, we will go back to the same loop; however, national reform requires cooperation from everybody and I cannot do this alone, Prayut added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Ill-stay-on-if-people-want-me-to-PM-30261647.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-05

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this the cue for opinion polls to show the people absolutely want him to stay on ?

Not much of a deal with the protect me from criticism comment which is just the same as saying DON'T. The PM seems well entrenched in his own little world.

Really! And just who is everybody? Would that be the everybody who is banned to speak out against him? Or the everybody banned to have meetings? Or perhaps it is the everybody that the rigged polls showed loves him and all he is doing here now. Personally, it was a good thing having the coup to get rid of the corrupt GOV that was in power. But that time has passed and its time is passed. Time to move Thailand forward.

While the PM being all coy and cute, he's thinking to him self, I'm going to be here for long time

yet, whether they like it or not, as I have many more proclamations, announcement and predictions

to make in this country, and I'm very good at it....

Edited by ezzra

''PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday stated for the first time that he was ready to remain in power for another two years''

then...

''The PM expected to be accused of wanting to extend his time in power.''

:blink::huh::rolleyes:-_-

In other news the economy is said to be rapidly slipping. What leader can bring happiness with a falling economy? I've never seen a leader stay popular unless the economy was good. I think that's going to be his Achilles heel.

I believe the response by the people of Thailand would be very similar to that provided in 1653 by Oliver Cromwell to the Rump Parliament.

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Prayut has to keep making up excuses to stay in power until the very important thing has happened. Since no-one knows when this will happen, we all have to indefinitely remain as participants in this ridiculous, unspeakable national charade which is stunting the social development of the country as effectively as the most incompetent/impotent Thai government ever did.

Protect me from criticism... Ego so frail? Or please don't ask me to explain my acquired billion baht.

Has anyone at the top here ever explained (satisfactorily) how they acquired their unusual wealth ... I don't expect that's going to change anytime soon, that's one of the perks of being at the top.

I'm gonna guess he married a wealthy woman, that's the stock answer. The other is selling land (and not paying the taxes on it), or perhaps changing the law so that they have a monopoly and also so that when they sell their businesses they don't have to pay tax on that too. Gambling is another good one (which they operate themselves or "protect"), or being very good in the stock market (which they've manipulated). Lastly, another classic one is implementing populist policies that benefit no one except your own businesses. Oh, there's the drugs and human trafficking side too, real estate scams, etc, seems like it's quite a long list ...

Oh for gods sake grow some balls!

I am beginning to think he needs a psychiatrist to help him with his complex about criticism.

Has it ever dawned on him to wonder why he is criticised?

Hey fella, perhaps it's because a lot of people don't actually like you despite the concocted popularity polls.

If he's looking for sympathy he ain't gonna get it.

The whole country knows he's not going to give up 'power' he loves it too much.

Perhaps he should apply for the job at FIFA. He has all the credentials and ethics required for the job.

You want to stay in politics but don't want to be criticised? Riiight, good luck with that one.

An honest question here: Does he truly believe that is in any way reasonable? What makes him any more special than any one of us?

"But you should help protect me from [criticisms] both outside and in the country."

Outside the country, how does that work. I suspect this comment will illicit more criticism from outside.

And BTW this guy is not going anywhere until the lotto price is fixed, get used to him.

Interesting to see what he said in an interview with AlJazera published in todays edition

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/thai-pm-pack-bag-home-election-150604100608298.html

It seems like he just says what is expedient to his interviewer at the time, not that he is alone in doing that. Problem is, nobody believes a word you say after a while and any credibility you have is blown out of the water...

Is this the cue for opinion polls to show the people absolutely want him to stay on ?

Not much of a deal with the protect me from criticism comment which is just the same as saying DON'T. The PM seems well entrenched in his own little world.

If you actually took the time to read the whole article it clearly states that a referendum would need to be held and it would be up to the people to decide, if you see something wrong with that then state what it is based on what was actually said and not from your imagination

Personally I see nothing wrong with the article or its implications - the fact remains that Thailand is in serious need of reform and I always said less than 2 years to achieve is falling years short of the huge task as there is so much that needs fixed