Chiang Mai market blaze loss estimated at Bt100 million

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai market blaze loss estimated at Bt100 million
AYUTHAI NONNITIRAT
THE SUNDAY NATION

30261775-01_big.JPG?1433631658237

CHIANG MAI: -- THE DAMAGE bill from Friday's inferno that ravaged a building in downtown Chiang Mai's Waroros Market has been put at about Bt100 million. The hefty loss is a result of the building having four textile shops with stockpiles of clothes worth about Bt20 million each.

The fire prompted Chiang Mai Governor Suriya Prasartbundit to order related agencies to inspect the safety standards of the other buildings in the market because this was the second fire in a month.

Forensic police officers, along with Public Works and Town and Country Planning officials, yesterday morning inspected the scene where there was still a smouldering fire on the second and third floors of the building.

Fire-fighters sprayed the floors with water to prevent the fire starting up again. The building and the road in front of it were sealed off.

As the affected shops were insured, the relevant insurance companies will assess the damage soon.

Pol Lt-Colonel Thanandon Wittayawutthikul, head of the Chiang Mai forensic police division, said the initial probe found that the building's structure was severely damaged.

As a result, officers could only access some sections of the building on the ground floor, he said.

Thanandon said the police inspection of the CM Bazaar shop, where the fire reportedly started, had identified the point where the blaze started. Police would check the shop's security camera footage to help them try and pinpoint the cause of the fire.

Paisal Surathamwit, the secretary of Nakhon Chiang Mai Municipality's mayor, said as a precaution public works officials would inspect the building's structure thoroughly, after stockpiled clothes were removed from the upper floors to reduce the stress on the floors.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chiang-Mai-market-blaze-loss-estimated-at-Bt100-mi-30261775.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-07

Does not appear to be any injuries - TTF. In saying that these types of market scare the crap out of me. Normally overcrowded, narrow ally ways with very little escape routes. May be paranoid but on the rare occasion I bow to TW's wishes to go shopping I spend most of my time looking for a way out!

As the affected shops were insured, the relevant insurance companies will assess the damage soon.

THE DAMAGE bill from Friday's inferno that ravaged a building in downtown Chiang Mai's Waroros Market has been put at about Bt100 million. The hefty loss is a result of the building having four textile shops with stockpiles of clothes worth about Bt20 million each.

Here i think we are getting closer to the real story wai2.gif

THE DAMAGE bill from Friday's inferno that ravaged a building in downtown Chiang Mai's Waroros Market has been put at about Bt100 million. The hefty loss is a result of the building having four textile shops with stockpiles of clothes worth about Bt20 million each.

Here i think we are getting closer to the real story wai2.gif

aye, aye. Here we go again. Who's next in the Inspector Clouseau competition. Some folks could make jumping the gun an official Olympic event.

I wondered what the smell was at Tesco superhighway on Saturday morning.

Now I know.

Lots of fires recently, do we have an arsonist?

Well 2 fires at Worawot within a couple of weeks.Fabric shops are not normally the places where you would expect a fire to break out and not to be brought under control very quickly.

No fire extinguishers? At Worawot Market,which is a rabbit warren, they should of course be compulsory and in working order

Emm, sounds like someguys are going to be getting a large sum of money....I wonder if they find anything inside that should not have been in a textile shop?

No custumers, no new money coming in, no brainier. Collect insurance and thank God no one was injured. No rent, do not have to pay employees, and no utilities payment. Governor says check buildings but should check there income for the last two months. If not insured i am so sorry!

These guys are genius'...

".... Fire-fighters sprayed the floors with water to prevent the fire starting up again...."

As opposed to "Firefighters left the building with dry wood exposed .. but oh well, what could possibly go wrong with that?"

Looks like we are having "Genius Monday," and you are leading the pack!

Yes , they are kinda smart......they were spraying the ceiling but the water kept dripping on their heads,..... so being smart they went up to the next floor and , guess what sprayed the floor, knowing that the water would go down and cover the ceiling below...... there..... you happy now.??? But don't let it out..... its a CMFD secret.