90-day reporting when frequently exiting Thailand

Just to double check - if I frequently exit and enter Thailand via one of the international airports (lets say at least once a month), would that mean I never have to do the 90-day address reporting? From what I researched, every time I re-enter Thailand the day-counter starts at Day 1. So as long as I don't stay here for a consecutive 90 days, I don't have to do the 90-day address reporting. Am I correct? Just wanna make sure. Thanks so much!

Strangely enough I had this argue discussion last night.

My understanding is that if you have an extension of stay ( not a multi entry visa ) and you buy a multi re-entry permit you can leave and return as many times as you like during the term of the extension.

Each time you return you get a 90 day stamp, this means you're effectively reporting to Imm' .

If you leave again and return within the next 90 days the process is repeated and you get another 90 days.

This means you never need to go to your local Imm' office to report during that year.

Willing to be corrected.

My understanding is that if you have an extension of stay ( not a multi entry visa ) and you buy a multi re-entry permit you can leave and return as many times as you like during the term of the extension.

Each time you return you get a 90 day stamp, this means you're effectively reporting to Imm' .

If you leave again and return within the next 90 days the process is repeated and you get another 90 days.

This means you never need to go to your local Imm' office to report during that year.

Willing to be corrected.

You don't get stamped into the country for only 90 days if you have a re-entry permit.. You get stamped in up to the date your extension of stay ends which is the same date the re-entry permit ends.

Willing to be corrected.

You don't get stamped into the country for only 90 days if you have a re-entry permit.. You get stamped in up to the date your extension of stay ends which is the same date the re-entry permit ends.

Ah, didn't realise that.

Maybe that's why Poipet now staple in a little pre-printed notice reminding you that 90 reporting is always required.

The only rider to this is that some Immigration Offices require you to notify them each time you return to Thailand. As there isn't a postal or online method of doing it, this entails a visit. I was amazed when Ubon Ratchathani office told me this by way of a reprimand after my last re-entry 18 months ago and have tested this 'instruction' with them since and they confirm the requirement. Apparently, it always existed but hadn't been enforced.

The only rider to this is that some Immigration Offices require you to notify them each time you return to Thailand. As there isn't a postal or online method of doing it, this entails a visit. I was amazed when Ubon Ratchathani office told me this by way of a reprimand after my last re-entry 18 months ago and have tested this 'instruction' with them since and they confirm the requirement. Apparently, it always existed but hadn't been enforced.

This is fascinating. One would expect Ubon to have access to the central computer system by now! I suspect the requirement (that I have no doubt is really still on the books) is probably a hangover from the days when all travelers (Thais and foreigners) had to report in to the local authorities on arrival in a province.

As recently as 30 years ago, a venerable English university still had a regulation that a student taking the final exam had to be properly dressed, including wearing his sword. Fortunately, the regulation was not routinely enforced.

This is fascinating. One would expect Ubon to have access to the central computer system by now! I suspect the requirement (that I have no doubt is really still on the books) is probably a hangover from the days when all travelers (Thais and foreigners) had to report in to the local authorities on arrival in a province.

As recently as 30 years ago, a venerable English university still had a regulation that a student taking the final exam had to be properly dressed, including wearing his sword. Fortunately, the regulation was not routinely enforced.

Are you saying this is not a requirement, Brit Tim?

If it is still on the books, and a specific immigration office decides to enforce it, then it is a requirement, the fact that it is a legacy of archaic regulations notwithstanding. I just find it interesting when these old rules crop up and someone chooses to enforce them.

If you were told to do a TM28 change of address form ti is certainly not truly enforced. If it was I would of needed to file 3 of them for a recent 11 day trip I did within the country.

I suspect the first time you were asked for one at Phibun one of the ladies there could of been having a bad day. And then when you went back to file another one they just accepted it and then just said it was needed.

Not a change if address form, Ubonjoe. I was told earlier this week when I obtained a re-entry visa that I would need to report within 24 hours of returning from my next proposed trip back to the UK. They previously spoke of a fine for non-compliance.

The problem is that if I don't report as advised, the next 90 day visit could be expensive! I am amazed others haven't experienced this.

Not a change if address form, Ubonjoe. I was told earlier this week when I obtained a re-entry visa that I would need to report within 24 hours of returning from my next proposed trip back to the UK. They previously spoke of a fine for non-compliance.

The problem is that if I don't report as advised, the next 90 day visit could be expensive! I am amazed others haven't experienced this.

The T28 is for more than a change of address. It is to report staying in another province for more than 24 hours.

If they are telling you to file a TM30 form that is for a homeowner to report an alien staying in their residence that is even worse. That should only be needed once unless you change to another house.

When any foreign visitor enters Thailand, they are required to fill out form TM6 Arrival/Departure form and present it to Thai passport control during entry formalities. Form TM6 includes a section to enter the foreigners address - and thus this constitutes an address report, and satisfies Thai immigration's current address reporting requirements.

Long termers:

I live here under 1 year extensions with a multi-entry visa. I was not sure if the re-entry satisfied the 90day report under my own circumstances and recently went to immigration to satisfy the previous instructions on the bit of paper stapled to my passport. Immigration confirmed that I did not need to come on the day instructed on 90 day reporting bit of paper, since a recent business trip and TM6 arrival declaration a few weeks earlier satisfied their 90 day report requirements, and reset the clock.

Edited by SteveB2

The T28 is for more than a change of address. It is to report staying in another province for more than 24 hours.

If they are telling you to file a TM30 form that is for a homeowner to report an alien staying in their residence that is even worse. That should only be needed once unless you change to another house.

It was the TM30 that they insisted we needed to complete. In effect, because I had broken continuity by going abroad, they required my partner, whom they automatically assume to be the homeowner, to report that I have returned here. I should be very interested to know what they would tell you if you queried the policy, Ubonjoe. We have been left in no doubt about the necessity of doing this!

It was the TM30 that they insisted we needed to complete. In effect, because I had broken continuity by going abroad, they required my partner, whom they automatically assume to be the homeowner, to report that I have returned here. I should be very interested to know what they would tell you if you queried the policy, Ubonjoe. We have been left in no doubt about the necessity of doing this!

There are a few other offices that want the TM30 but most will not want it or just ask for it once and are satisfied with receipt from the first report.. The transmigration act of 1979 is a bit vague on when the report is needed. In my opinion it says the report is only needed when a person moves into the residence.

Phibun has never asked for any report from me. When I changed addresses from our home to a rental they asked for nothing more than the rental agreement.

Willing to be corrected.

Ah, didn't realise that.

Maybe that's why Poipet now staple in a little pre-printed notice reminding you that 90 reporting is always required.

Your premise on the 90 day reporting aspect is correct though - if you travel a lot and leave each time within 90 days of the last trip, you'll never have to visit an Immigration Office to do a 90 day report.

Interesting that someone could have an argument about that....??

Edited by TheAppletons

Maybe when you next return from abroad, Ubonjoe, they will ask why you didn't report ....

They seem to be asking for the report when you apply for re-entry permit. Perhaps the best way to avoid problems would be to pay 3800 baht for a multiple re-entry permit when you get your extension. That would take care of things for a year.

Sorry if I have confused things. They have told / reminded me on the last two occasions I have renewed my extension (the most recent 6 days ago) regardless of whether I was getting a re-entry permit.

As I said my wife and I have never been asked for any report other than my 90 day reports. I have gotten 7 extensions at Phibun.

I don't really understand why they are asking you for them.

Sorry if I have confused things. They have told / reminded me on the last two occasions I have renewed my extension (the most recent 6 days ago) regardless of whether I was getting a re-entry permit.

As I said my wife and I have never been asked for any report other than my 90 day reports. I have gotten 7 extensions at Phibun.

I don't really understand why they are asking you for them.

Me neither, Ubonjoe. Perhaps you haven't left the country and returned within the last 12 months or so (ie they only implemented this requirement 12-15 months ago). It says on the Immigration website that the report can be made online but I can't see how ... I shall probably have to contact them.

I can only recall on report of immigration in Phibun asking for a TM30 and that was when a person married to a Thai was applying for a 60 day extension.

The online TM30 reporting is only for businesses (hotels and etc) that have registered with immigration.to do the report.

OK thanks for the clarification, Ubonjoe. I can't think that I'm being singled out for special treatment but it's a real pain whatever. Incidentally, I still have the receipt portion of the last TM30 from a year ago in my passport.