Caught by a speed camera in Doi Saket

Phrafarang

So, it cost you about $12 for 22kph over the limit? In the U.S., it would have been at least $50, and maybe more, depending on which state and county within the state, where you broke the law.

30 years ago I was fined 10,000 baht for speeding. I was actually let off lightly. My own daft fault and had no complaints.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he asked a clear question,if you don't know the answer why have to comment on his question.Answer the question or don't answer at all.oh man weirdos

Because irresponsible people like the OP cause injuries and death to others. You may condone his actions most of the people here do not

I am familiar with the road as far as the police station, Doi Saket temple area. Around that area i turn off to go to the dam. I dont travel down that road often as i travel by bicycle. So thats where my viewpoint comes from. Vehicles doing 87mph flying past me. Travelling slowly along this road you will see the locals crossing the road and going about their business. The city is moving out. Around about 2000 i used to go do a monthly visa run to Mae Sai. It was all fields and country side after the San Sai turn off. Now its housing estates, shophouses and big stores filling in the open spaces. In the next 10 or 20 years it may become one big suburb all the way to Doi Saket?

I am not anti car but i would say the speed limit needs to be dropped on that stretch of road to reflect the urbanisation. Its not the motorists fault that thai road planners dont think of other road uses than cars or the communities that the road cuts in two. A big chunk of motorists dont give a damn for other road users and are oblivious to what the road is like for pedestrians, old people, children packed into a songtaoew, motorcyclists experience with endless speeding cars and pick ups doing 87. If the motorists put themselves in their shoes for a day they might actually be happy to stay within the speed limit. They might think its the right thing to do!

Whoever suggested losing your vehicle for a month or two if you get caught drink driving, or losing it for x amount of days if you are well over the speed limit, that is a brilliant idea. I think it will work really well in Thailand. The shock and inconvience of losing your aircon metal box for a week! Standing on the side of the road trying flag a songtaow down,. Getting hit by the vortex after the speeding traffic flys past. This a much better deterrent than a fine.

I didn't think you were a driver. I'm on that stretch of road weekly (usually on my motorcycle, not my 'aircon metal box'), and I rode it yesterday morning- we have very different views of it. I think the road should be reassessed and the limit should actually be raised to 120kph on that section as the layout easily allows drivers to safely proceed at that speed. It's a major thoroughfare, not a bike path- there's ample room for bicyclists if they'd like to use it (the recent a fatal accident was caused by a drunk driver, not someone in control of herself and her vehicle- it was a needless tragedy, but I don't think it's relevant to this argument- considering how little traffic there is on weekend morning and how good the sightlines are in that area, even at 150kph you'd have to be drunk to not see and avoid a group of riders), and it doesn't need to be repurposed for bicycles. It's a two-lanes each way road (with additional run-off on the left, not to mention a third lane in the newly-black-topped section), and there's room for everyone who'd like to use it with an ample safety margin, even at 120kph). Further up of down the road it's a different story, but not in that section.

I have no issue with you fighting for your cause, though, nor do I mean anything against you personally- if I rode a bicycle I'd likely be singing your song instead of mine. I'm still waiting to be able to (legally) ride my motorcycle in the right-hand-lane.;)

Great idea! A Idiot's Guide to Retroactive Birth Control...

Arizona legislators approved a bill late Wednesday that not only would allow drivers to travel up to 85 mph on state highways, but also includes an amendment that reduces the consequences of speeding. The bill left the House Appropriations Committee on a 9-to-5 vote and is now making its way to the governor's desk. The bill would make some Arizona highways among those with the highest speed limits in the country. Most of the language from the original bill remains the same. If the full bill is approved, drivers will be fined a maximum of $15 for speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, the violation would not be reported to insurance companies and the driver's record would not be affected.

In Oman in the Middle East it is $3 for each kmph over the limit up to 10km/h and then it is a night in jail for each km/h plus the financial fine

In Saudi the minimum is about, 3,000b, if you wish to argue it goes up. If you request the picture it costs twice as much as the fine.

...and the speed limit on Thai highways is???

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

A Thai lady friend of my wife got a speeding ticket (500 Bt. fine) in the post two days ago. It happened while on her way to the Airport from Pattaya. Mind you, there are plenty of signs showing the speed limits and cameras in operation along that stretch of the highway.

In Oman in the Middle East it is $3 for each kmph over the limit up to 10km/h and then it is a night in jail for each km/h plus the financial fine

In Saudi the minimum is about, 3,000b, if you wish to argue it goes up. If you request the picture it costs twice as much as the fine.

Qatar is the same. You just stay within the speed limit and you dont have a problem. The OP appears to want to break the rules and have everyone here on TV help him.

Qatar is the same. You just stay within the speed limit and you dont have a problem. The OP appears to want to break the rules and have everyone here on TV help him.

Got no idea why people have a problem with traffic police here. Personally have broken the law and fined for it, no argument. All the traffic police I have dealt with have been very pleasant.

Sometimes I just despair about this forum and the small minded pettiness that seems to be the norm from posters who probably don't even bother to read the posts before they add their three penny worth.

Look, I was 10 MPH over the speed limit and I got caught by a camera speed trap, I had not been drinking, i was not on the phone, I was not driving like a Thai, I was not boasting that I had broken the law.

I just asked if anyone knew where the camera was so that I can ensure that I am driving at a speed to keep you all happy

It seems I'm in the minority, but I'm with you OP. I drive pretty fast, sometimes unintentionally. Especially coming back from CR down 118, I'm usually flying down that road after a long day, just wanting to get home. Good to know that this road may be monitored--would be good to know where all the speed traps are. Speeding in itself is not dangerous, it's the reckless driving or driving impaired or being inattentive. Going 10 kph over the speed limit is not going to hurt anyone and after driving all these years without one serious accident, I'm living proof of that. But anyways, it seems the slow drivers are dominating this thread. I for one hate this speed trap idea, wish it was never imported from the west. Driving free of constant police surveillance was one of the joys of driving here.

They are where ever they want to be,hopefully where you are.

Not sure if you are asking me but anyway, live in Ban Pong, Ratchaburi. Numerous checkpoints around, no speed cameras to my knowledge. Rarely get pulled in. Only been asked for driving licence once.

Have been fined, no helmet, driving in right hand lane etc. No complaints from me.

Sometimes I just despair about this forum and the small minded pettiness that seems to be the norm from posters who probably don't even bother to read the posts before they add their three penny worth.

Look, I was 10 MPH over the speed limit and I got caught by a camera speed trap, I had not been drinking, i was not on the phone, I was not driving like a Thai, I was not boasting that I had broken the law.

I just asked if anyone knew where the camera was so that I can ensure that I am driving at a speed to keep you all happy

It seems I'm in the minority, but I'm with you OP. I drive pretty fast, sometimes unintentionally. Especially coming back from CR down 118, I'm usually flying down that road after a long day, just wanting to get home. Good to know that this road may be monitored--would be good to know where all the speed traps are. Speeding in itself is not dangerous, it's the reckless driving or driving impaired or being inattentive. Going 10 kph over the speed limit is not going to hurt anyone and after driving all these years without one serious accident, I'm living proof of that. But anyways, it seems the slow drivers are dominating this thread. I for one hate this speed trap idea, wish it was never imported from the west. Driving free of constant police surveillance was one of the joys of driving here.

How far are you willing to take it? Many years ago I asked wife about the drink driving here, her reply was ok unless you had an accident. Happy with that?

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

I think, you have never been in Germany, there are still many stredges without any speed limit, and the fatalities are not higher than in another country in Europe.

You only got a 400 baht fine???!!!! Consider yourself very lucky. A few weeks ago my GF and I returned from Korat in a new vehicle. Whilst the GF was driving, she didnt realise that the car actually was quite fast because of the comfort and lack of engine noise etc.

Long story short, we got stopped by the highway patrol and informed that our speed is too high. A camera had picked us up doing 140 kmph. Instant fine was 1000 baht and my GF learnt her lesson, watch your speed at all times; more so when in a new or unfamiliar vehicle.

The remainder of the trip was done at a more leisurely 110-120 kmph.

If a driver doesn't know the difference between 140 and 90kms,you have problems.

How far are you willing to take it? Many years ago I asked wife about the drink driving here, her reply was ok unless you had an accident. Happy with that?

Did you read my post? Driving impaired (aka drunk driving) is not something I condone. I also see some drivers whizzing in and out of traffic at high speeds, or drivers trying to text when driving. I don't condone any of this. But driving over the speed limit is something all of us do one time or another. It's because the speed limit is too slow. Not just in Thailand, but in the USA as well. By the way, going 120 kph in a 90 kph zone is not the same as going 150. That's approaching reckless driving, which is not the same as just speeding. In some states in the US, driving over 85 mph (approx. 137 kph) is considered reckless driving. I do not condone reckless driving, which could be any number of things which may not even include driving over the speed limit.

Surely this is a troll post! It made me laugh. ...speeding itself is not dangerous...going 10kph over speed limit isnt going to hurt someone!?! Hit somebody doing 90kph ( if thats the speed limit) and they will fly into air with shattered legs and smashed skull and will dead. Hit them at 100kph what do they do? Dust themselves off and walk home?

I think, you have never been in Germany, there are still many stredges without any speed limit, and the fatalities are not higher than in another country in Europe.

In Germany they build dedicated roads for driving fast. Autobahns or whatever. Houses on the side, wandering dogs and Honda dreams with sidecars don't feature. Also Germany will have an effective driving test.

I remember landing at Frankfurt once and there was an autobahn adjacent to final approach. Looking down some cars were going faster than the aircraft. The aircraft was probably doing 130 knots.

Surely this is a troll post! It made me laugh. ...speeding itself is not dangerous...going 10kph over speed limit isnt going to hurt someone!?! Hit somebody doing 90kph ( if thats the speed limit) and they will fly into air with shattered legs and smashed skull and will dead. Hit them at 100kph what do they do? Dust themselves off and walk home?

Are you serious? Talk about trolling. I drive well over 100 kph pretty consistently and I've never killed anybody. But I'm pretty sure you can kill someone going 70 kph. Should we make that illegal?

So you accept when you drive outside the law you are safe. Great. Suppose drunk drivers think the same. Yes I have exceeded speed limits, young and bulletproof.

There you go with the drunk driving thing again. Look, I don't condone unsafe driving. But this thread is about going a little over the speed limit and getting ticketed for it. Some of you may applaud this, I don't. If you guys want to live in a nanny state where the gov beats you over the head over every minor traffic infraction, so be it. I like the freedom of being able to drive a bit fast and like I said, I'm probably in the minority. Most Thais drive pretty slow, and I suppose you guys are all for that. Whatever.

I am familiar with the road as far as the police station, Doi Saket temple area. Around that area i turn off to go to the dam. I dont travel down that road often as i travel by bicycle. So thats where my viewpoint comes from. Vehicles doing 87mph flying past me. Travelling slowly along this road you will see the locals crossing the road and going about their business. The city is moving out. Around about 2000 i used to go do a monthly visa run to Mae Sai. It was all fields and country side after the San Sai turn off. Now its housing estates, shophouses and big stores filling in the open spaces. In the next 10 or 20 years it may become one big suburb all the way to Doi Saket?

I am not anti car but i would say the speed limit needs to be dropped on that stretch of road to reflect the urbanisation. Its not the motorists fault that thai road planners dont think of other road uses than cars or the communities that the road cuts in two. A big chunk of motorists dont give a damn for other road users and are oblivious to what the road is like for pedestrians, old people, children packed into a songtaoew, motorcyclists experience with endless speeding cars and pick ups doing 87. If the motorists put themselves in their shoes for a day they might actually be happy to stay within the speed limit. They might think its the right thing to do!

Whoever suggested losing your vehicle for a month or two if you get caught drink driving, or losing it for x amount of days if you are well over the speed limit, that is a brilliant idea. I think it will work really well in Thailand. The shock and inconvience of losing your aircon metal box for a week! Standing on the side of the road trying flag a songtaow down,. Getting hit by the vortex after the speeding traffic flys past. This a much better deterrent than a fine.

I didn't think you were a driver. I'm on that stretch of road weekly (usually on my motorcycle, not my 'aircon metal box'), and I rode it yesterday morning- we have very different views of it. I think the road should be reassessed and the limit should actually be raised to 120kph on that section as the layout easily allows drivers to safely proceed at that speed. It's a major thoroughfare, not a bike path- there's ample room for bicyclists if they'd like to use it (the recent a fatal accident was caused by a drunk driver, not someone in control of herself and her vehicle- it was a needless tragedy, but I don't think it's relevant to this argument- considering how little traffic there is on weekend morning and how good the sightlines are in that area, even at 150kph you'd have to be drunk to not see and avoid a group of riders), and it doesn't need to be repurposed for bicycles. It's a two-lanes each way road (with additional run-off on the left, not to mention a third lane in the newly-black-topped section), and there's room for everyone who'd like to use it with an ample safety margin, even at 120kph). Further up of down the road it's a different story, but not in that section.

I have no issue with you fighting for your cause, though, nor do I mean anything against you personally- if I rode a bicycle I'd likely be singing your song instead of mine. I'm still waiting to be able to (legally) ride my motorcycle in the right-hand-lane.;)

I am not anti car or anything like that but one thing i think everyone can agree on is Thailand is in desperate need of an effective driving test that requires the drivers to learn some driving skills and road safety. Something that you have to put some effort in to pass. Knowing how to start the car and make if go forward is setting the bar way to low. Bus and truck drivers need to be first ones to go through the program.

So you accept when you drive outside the law you are safe. Great. Suppose drunk drivers think the same. Yes I have exceeded speed limits, young and bulletproof.

There you go with the drunk driving thing again. Look, I don't condone unsafe driving. But this thread is about going a little over the speed limit and getting ticketed for it. Some of you may applaud this, I don't. If you guys want to live in a nanny state where the gov beats you over the head over every minor traffic infraction, so be it. I like the freedom of being able to drive a bit fast and like I said, I'm probably in the minority. Most Thais drive pretty slow, and I suppose you guys are all for that. Whatever.

Only point is where you want a line drawn. Poster seems to require info to break the law. My experience here on highways is 100-110 kmh is the norm. Could not care less about a speeder unless he insists on being up my a**.

Are you serious? Talk about trolling. I drive well over 100 kph pretty consistently and I've never killed anybody. But I'm pretty sure you can kill someone going 70 kph. Should we make that illegal?

The point was you can kill somebody within the speed limit so no need to go faster. The faster you go the longer it takes to stop. With the big random thai element of whats going on on at the side of the road and crazy local drivers its safer to stay within the speed limit. Just my opinion though.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post, which was poo-poo'd by several others.

From the World Health Organization, Thailand ranks second in the world for traffic-related fatalities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Oh and these are just deaths reported at the scene of the accident. Some countries also report those who die after the accident in hospital -- Thailand doesn't include those deaths in these statistics.

Archived