2 teens are severely injured in shark attacks in US

webfact

2 teens are severely injured in shark attacks in N. Carolina

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) — Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."

Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 (http://bit.ly/1IdIpaN) that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

"I saw someone carry this girl (out of the water) and people were swarming around and trying to help," Steve Bouser, who was just beginning his week-long beach vacation, told The Associated Press. "It was quite terrible."

The girl was bleeding heavily, and people applied makeshift tourniquets while asking her questions to try to keep her conscious.

It was "quite nightmarish," Bouser said.

"It was so much like a scene from Jaws," his wife Brenda Bouser added, referring to the 1975 thriller about a giant man-eating white shark.

Local officials sent an all-terrain-vehicle to get everyone out of the water, and the Brunswick County Sheriff's office was planning to have a helicopter patrol the coastline, the mayor said.

Wallace said Sunday evening that she had no further information on the girl's condition. The girl is not from Oak Island but was visiting family, the mayor said.

Brunswick County Dispatchers said that they received the first call at 4:12 p.m., and agencies including Oak Island Police and the Air Link Helicopter went to the scene. The second shark attack was reported at 5:30 p.m.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-15

Interesting to see that this area is called the "Mid Atlantic Shark Area" with two large tiger sharks that have been tagged and pinging in the area. The tiger is listed as the 3rd most dangerous shark.

http://www.ocearch.org/ - two tiger sharks "Chessie" and "Fritz" are in the area. Chessie appears to have tracked right through the area of Oak Island.

Back to shark week . . . NC has a problem. Perth had a rogue in 2011 through 2012. Rogues are pretty rare. Egypt, however, had a bad shark hitting folks, there was a large bull in the Florida panhandle and then there was another rogue in NY a few years back. Perth had a really big great white though that was killing people with a single hit in 2011 and 2012. I would say the latest where a great white and not a bull and bull don't move that much and hang out in murky water. NC needs to catch this one.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic

Years ago a friend of mines brother who is an abalone fisherman was attacked by a shark. The man said the shark bite him but then spit him out.He thought maybe the shark didnot like the taste or something about the wetsuit he was wearing,but he was left only with puncture wounds..Forgot about this story till this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Your calculations are a bit off. First story is about two attacks, second story is about one attack already mentioned in the first story. So in stead of four there are two more attacks.

Apparently you cannot read or count. There have now been 7 shark attacks since about June 15 in North Carolina.

Not a good time to go surfing or swimming then. Jeez.

Yep, that is a lot of activity. Probably smaller Bull Sharks, some bad injuries nonetheless.

Your calculations are a bit off. First story is about two attacks, second story is about one attack already mentioned in the first story. So in stead of four there are two more attacks.

Apparently you cannot read or count. There have now been 7 shark attacks since about June 15 in North Carolina.

“Another attack today, that makes 7 in NC. Please everyone be safe. I have seen the “tips” like swim in groups, no jewelry, no bleeding, stay out during dusk to dawn, she was maybe waist deep at most, etc. In Kiersten’s case, all of this was followed, unintentionally at the time. There was nothing that seemed “textbook” except for the murky water of NC. Her cousin, who was swimming with her along with a few others, was the first to help by yelling shark and drawing out attention to her… All of your prayers and support has also helped us stay positive during this journey. I hope all of the other survivors have the same support and feel the love we have. We continue to pray for all of them and hope they recover and stay strong.

http://myfox8.com/2015/07/01/shark-attack-reported-at-ocracoke-island-in-nc/

Report of shark bite near Ocracoke would be 7th in NC

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article25985548.html

Coming up with new ones now does not change that your numbers were off.

What? You are just being obstinate now.

The Times article reports 2 new attacks on Friday, June 26, 2015. The article then says those 2 attacks came after 4 other recent attacks.

So, there were 6 attacks by June 26, 4 of which came after the two children got hit on June 14.

That is 4 more attacks after the June 14 attacks. Where is the disconnect.

The latest makes 7.

------------

Two new shark attacks were reported in North Carolina and South Carolina on Friday.

According to The Charlotte Observer, a 47-year-old man was bitten by a shark in Avon, N.C. and was being treated for leg and lower back injuries. Also on Friday, a man was bitten by a shark while swimming off of Hunting Island in South Carolina.

The latest shark bites come after four other recent attacks in North Carolina. On June 14, a 16-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl were both attacked by sharks within an hour and a half of each other in Oak Island, N.C. Both kids lost part of their arms.

http://time.com/3938973/shark-attacks-carolinas/

Edited by F430murci

“Another attack today, that makes 7 in NC. Please everyone be safe. I have seen the “tips” like swim in groups, no jewelry, no bleeding, stay out during dusk to dawn, she was maybe waist deep at most, etc. In Kiersten’s case, all of this was followed, unintentionally at the time. There was nothing that seemed “textbook” except for the murky water of NC. Her cousin, who was swimming with her along with a few others, was the first to help by yelling shark and drawing out attention to her… All of your prayers and support has also helped us stay positive during this journey. I hope all of the other survivors have the same support and feel the love we have. We continue to pray for all of them and hope they recover and stay strong.

The Times article reports 2 new attacks on Friday, June 26, 2015. The article then says those 2 attacks came after 4 other recent attacks.

So, there were 6 attacks by June 26, 4 of which came after the two children got hit on June 14.

The latest makes 7.

------------

Two new shark attacks were reported in North Carolina and South Carolina on Friday.

According to The Charlotte Observer, a 47-year-old man was bitten by a shark in Avon, N.C. and was being treated for leg and lower back injuries. Also on Friday, a man was bitten by a shark while swimming off of Hunting Island in South Carolina.

The latest shark bites come after four other recent attacks in North Carolina. On June 14, a 16-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl were both attacked by sharks within an hour and a half of each other in Oak Island, N.C. Both kids lost part of their arms.

So both you and The Charlotte Observer can't count. We have 2 attacks on the 14th and 2 more on the 26th. So in total 4 and not '4 more'. Unless of course you have reports of 2 more attacks between the 14th and the 26th.

Feel for the.vicrims however a part of the arm whats and what type of shark<? Very shallow water could the fish have

Panicked? Who knows, but i bet they.dont give the next.human 2 human shooting as much papertime

rijit

The latest makes 7.

------------

So both you and The Charlotte Observer can't count. We have 2 attacks on the 14th and 2 more on the 26th. So in total 4 and not '4 more'. Unless of course you have reports of 2 more attacks between the 14th and the 26th.

Okay. Below is a map with date and locations of attacks.

There has been a total of 10 attacks in the Carolinas. My bad for mixing North and South, but there was still 6 attacks in NC between June 11 and June 27 and a 7th on July 1. Off by one day . . .

There are as follows:

1 on June 11 (NC)

2 on June 14 (NC)

1 on June 23 (SC)

1 on June 24 (NC)

2 on June 26 (1 on SC, 1 in NC)

1 on June 27 (NC)

1 on July 1 (NC)

So NC had 6 attacks between June 11 and June 27 and a 7th attack on July 1.

------------

post-159996-0-19308500-1435809304_thumb.

Edited by F430murci

The latest makes 7.

------------

There has been a total of 10 attacks in the Carolinas. My bad for mixing North and South, but there was still 7 attacks in NC between June 11 and June 27.

There are as follows:

1 on June 11 (NC)

2 on June 14 (NC)

1 on June 23 (SC)

1 on June 24 (NC)

1 on June 27 (NC)

1 on July 1 (NC)

------------

That's the same link you gave earlier, with nothing of any attacks between the 14th and the 26th. The header BTW is '2 more attacks', not 4 as you claim.

But I'm glad to see you're admitting your counting was off.

All not really important BTW, only for the people attacked of course. Yearly on average 5 people are killed by sharks with 75 attacked, but the headlines always seem to indicate sharks are killing dozens and dozens and are dangerous to humans.

Personally I believe quite a few of the attacks are so called provoked attacks, and the unprovoked attacks are quite often initiated as well by humans by cage diving with bait and other forms of attracting sharks closer to shore and therefor to humans.

The latest makes 7.

------------

There has been a total of 10 attacks in the Carolinas. My bad for mixing North and South, but there was still 7 attacks in NC between June 11 and June 27.

There are as follows:

1 on June 11 (NC)

2 on June 14 (NC)

1 on June 23 (SC)

1 on June 24 (NC)

1 on June 27 (NC)

1 on July 1 (NC)

------------

That's the same link you gave earlier, with nothing of any attacks between the 14th and the 26th. The header BTW is '2 more attacks', not 4 as you claim.

All not really important BTW, only for the people attacked of course. Yearly on average 5 people are killed by sharks with 75 attacked, but the headlines always seem to indicate sharks are killing dozens and dozens and are dangerous to humans.

Personally I believe quite a few of the attacks are so called provoked attacks, and the unprovoked attacks are quite often initiated as well by humans by cage diving with bait and other forms of attracting sharks closer to shore and therefor to humans.

It cannot be the same link as the last link documented a July 1 attack and prior link was from June 27.

There are 2 attacks between 14th and 26th.

My count was not off. My dates were a bit off. There was 6 attacks between June 11 and June 27 in NC and 8 if you include the June 23 and June 26 hits in SC.

Headlines don't indicate anything. People are not provoking sharks except the people that are diving with them and feeding them to get up close and person. People in cages don't get bit.

Beyond that, you are a time waster and somewhat strange.

Edited by F430murci

There are as follows:

1 on June 11 (NC)

2 on June 14 (NC)

1 on June 23 (SC)

1 on June 24 (NC)

1 on June 27 (NC)

1 on July 1 (NC)

------------

It cannot be the same link as the last link documented a July 1 attack and prior link was from June 27.

My count was not off. My dates were a bit off. There was 6 attacks between June 11 and June 27 in NC and 8 if you include the June 23 and June 26 hits in SC.

Headlines don't indicate anything. People are not provoking sharks except the people that are diving with them and feeding them to get up close and person. People in cages don't get bit.

http://time.com/3938973/shark-attacks-carolinas/ is the link you gave earlier and http://time.com/3938973/shark-attacks-carolinas/ is the link you gave just now. Please show me the difference.

Ah, so your counting was not off, it were the dates on which you based your counting clap2.gif .

Headlines don't indicate anything unless it suits you, and yes, people are provoking shark attacks.

But I'm out of here, it is clear you don't know anything about this and are part of the choir 'sharks are dangerous', when they typically are not dangerous at all, but fascinating and very useful animals.

There are as follows:

1 on June 11 (NC)

2 on June 14 (NC)

1 on June 23 (SC)

1 on June 24 (NC)

1 on June 27 (NC)

1 on July 1 (NC)

------------

http://time.com/3938973/shark-attacks-carolinas/ is the link you gave earlier and http://time.com/3938973/shark-attacks-carolinas/ is the link you gave just now. Please show me the difference.

Ah, so your counting was not off, it were the dates on which you based your counting clap2.gif .

Headlines don't indicate anything unless it suits you, and yes, people are provoking shark attacks.

But I'm out of here, it is clear you don't know anything about this and are part of the choir 'sharks are dangerous', when they typically are not dangerous at all, but fascinating and very useful animals.

My apologies as I did have the wrong link. Here is the July 1 article link I meant and the link from which the map comes that I inserted.

----------

A man in his late 60s was attacked by a shark in North Carolina on Wednesday, in what was the seventh such attack in the state this year.

. . .

According to the International Shark Attack File at the University of Florida, the Carolinas have had at least 10 shark attacks so far in 2015 -- seven in North Carolina and three in South Carolina. Among the victims, a 13-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy both lost an arm in attacks about 90 minutes apart at Oak Island, North Carolina, on June 14.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/north-carolina-shark-attack/