What is the status of my visa after I quit my job?

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been broached before, but I'm very new to this sort of situation and wanted to get a fresh opinion on this.

My situation:

I moved to Thailand on a 90-day, Single-Entry, Non-Immigrant B visa in early May in order to teach English. I have been teaching for several weeks now, but my school isn't anywhere near what I thought it would be, and I plan on quitting at some point next week.

They told me today that they are taking me somewhere to get my work permit on Monday, but since I'm planning on quitting, I'm concerned that this might affect my visa in some way, and therefore my ability to stay and travel throughout Thailand for the next couple of months.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether or not the visa that I'm using to stay in Thailand will be in some way affected by A) actually obtaining a work permit, and/or B) quitting my job.

I'm in a little bit of a panic right now and I'm not sure if this makes much sense, so if any of you need me to clarify, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Both points you mentioned will not be affected by your visa. You are free to remain in Thailand until the last day of the of your 90-day permission to stay and if you wish you may apply for a work permit with another company.

I would like to add that some employers will tell you that they have to cancel your visa, do not give them your passport. They cannot cancel it, only Immigration can do that and they are not interested. I have been told by a few companies when finishing that I have to give them my passport so they can cancel it.

If and when you stop work you should cancel your work permit but keep your passport in your pocket or at best let them have a copy.

If it was me I'd take the work permit, get a one-year visa and then quit the job. Those things are not easy to come by.

Except you don't get a one year visa. You get a one year extension of stay, tied to the work permit, which is, in turn, tied to that employer. Your permission to stay under that extension is no longer valid as soon as your employment ends.

Your employer may or may not file correct paperwork when they cancel your work permit, so you may and may not be in heaps of trouble when you get caught out, or try to re-enter under an extension of stay that's been cancelled.

Best to enjoy the 90 day visa, and look for other employment during that time.

If and when you stop work you should cancel your work permit but keep your passport in your pocket or at best let them have a copy.

Thee above part of your post is not applicable, because the OP has not yet received his work permit.