Thai fishing vessels threaten to stop fishing next month

webfact

Good - give some of their slave labor a break...

Good, give the poor bloody fish some respite from over-fishing and under-sized catch.

I remember when Pla Ja La Met were the size of dinner plates, but now you are lucky to see them even up to saucer-size.

And if you're seeing them undersized, they probably haven't even reached breeding age.

And so the circle of decline continues.....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically they are saying they can't make a living without slave labor and fishing in illegal waters... coffee1.gif

Possible true, as there are too many and most probably you can't find anything in Thai waters anymore.

Once I spoke with a customs officer from a port in the deep south of Thailand and I asked him what is the main trade: importing fish from Indonesia (I think it was Indo but possible I remember wrong) and exporting vegetables.

When Thailands south needs to import massive amounts of fish than something is running very wrong.

The dear government approved 20 000 licenses (basicaly they gave a license to everyone) instead of the estimated sustainable number of 12 000. Another band aid over a gunshot wound.

Can you remember which "dear" government it was that issued these licenses.

Does it matter?

slave labour is alive and well in this country, that is also why you can afford a maid , which would be impossible in your home country...

ok,they get paid peanuts and that also shows in their minimalistic work

a good live in maid costs bt15,000 a month now plus free accomodationn and utilities. Hardly slave labour!

So basically they are saying they can't make a living without slave labor and fishing in illegal waters... coffee1.gif

That may be even true! Due to the steady overfishing of the Thai Seas, the amount of fish caught today, is hardly enough to pay the captain and the expenses for the ship, let alone any single Baht for the workers or slaves.

And in other news, the Union of bank robbers, safe crackers and lock pickers have threatened to stop all activities until harassment by the authorities ceases. "It's diabolical" said their spokesman, Mr Gnasher Bates. "Here we are, trying to earn a decent night's pay for an indecent night's work, and for what? To be shaken down and locked up. Enough is enough. And I'll tell you what, it won't be long before our brothers at the Shoplifters and purse snatcher's association follow us. Then you'll be sorry! Just you wait and see!" The roll-on effect could be huge. Just last night, a senior member of the stuck-at- traffic-light-windscreen-washer's syndicate was heard by this correspondent muttering about a go slow as he threw a bucket of grease over a Toyota at Asoke junction.

Priceless.

Where have you been Ballpoint? I for one have missed your humour which is badly needed in some of the threads.

And in other news, the Union of bank robbers, safe crackers and lock pickers have threatened to stop all activities until harassment by the authorities ceases. "It's diabolical" said their spokesman, Mr Gnasher Bates. "Here we are, trying to earn a decent night's pay for an indecent night's work, and for what? To be shaken down and locked up. Enough is enough. And I'll tell you what, it won't be long before our brothers at the Shoplifters and purse snatcher's association follow us. Then you'll be sorry! Just you wait and see!" The roll-on effect could be huge. Just last night, a senior member of the stuck-at- traffic-light-windscreen-washer's syndicate was heard by this correspondent muttering about a go slow as he threw a bucket of grease over a Toyota at Asoke junction.

Priceless.

Where have you been Ballpoint? I for one have missed your humour which is badly needed in some of the threads.

Been fishing.

Please be sure to carry out this threat. Everybody will benefit, but most of all the marine life.

They have been warned so many times and so many years. They are crying like babies because suddenly somebody is actually prepared to make them follow the rules and hitting them where it really hurts: their fat wallets.

Inaccurate licenses and permits and they dare to complain. How come it is difficult to give a man count for a vessel.

It seems the law, as usual is just a joke.

Let them stop fishing, it is their money, but they will come after and ask for compensation because they lost business. ha ha ha

The government needs to simply be able to say, eat me. You are bluffing. Your bluffs mean nothing. We know you are greedy bastards completely without principle. So, you will not deprive yourself of the fortunes you are making off slave labor, and from abusing migrant workers. You are not paying any taxes. You are giving very, very little back to your nation. So, now you come to us asking for help, after you have been outed by the courageous voices within the international community? Your boats are probably unlicensed. What on earth are you sensitive, thin skinned half men complaining about?

Just do your jobs overfishing, and continue to plunder the seas.

As if "representatives from more than 10 fishery associations" could control what the Thai fishing mob do. This is the crux of the matter.

Its a joke. As all the others have said on here it will be good news for everyone.

I doubt it will effect much on the shelves on the super mart even if "the cow flew over the moon" and it actually happened!

Hopefully the Junta will squash this like some one stepping on a bug.

Regards

Easy to blame the fishermen for all the problems....meantime...next time you see fish in the super market...do not buy fish any more.

Next time someone invites you to a seafood dinner.....politely turn down the offer and do your part of conserve the sea life.

That is how it works folks.......

Cheers

I don't worry so much about the "not fishing" part.

I do, however, worry about the mischief they can do while they're not fishing. Like blocking ports and tourist piers with their boats. Or blocking roads and RR tracks and airport entrances with their vehicles.

Given that they've already demonstrated that human lives (especially foreign lives) mean very little to a large percentage of them, there's an element of the unknown to their scheme here...

I'm 100% against the government caving to their demands to allow them to continue fishing illegally, but I sure hope there's some security planning in place...

You think that Europe gives a shit if the Thais stop fishing???? what the hell is that got to do with the Thai government It is Europe who demands the thais to clean up their act,,,,,,,What a laugh,,,,,Stupid attitude from the fisherman cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Fishers Fritz Fished Frische fishe.....

Many years ago the navy used to go out of Sattahip base and practice artillery runs on the islands off Pattaya, most notably Koh Rin. Maybe they could resume those practice runs but now on fishing vessels instead. Of course they would need a budget to renovate those old WW2 frigates they got from America.

Edited by AlQaholic

yes please do so. Stop for 3 month please. It would help the marine life and after it, they will catch more with less afford.

And the price of fish will go through the roof because there is more demand than supply, but hey that gives tvf members an other opportunity to whine.

Edited by Anthony5

The said this measure has recently caused vessels with inaccurate licenses to be classified as illegal, preventing them from sailing and has affected the industry:

If the licenses are inaccurate then doesn't that make them illegal?

European Union has yellow carded Thailand for its failure to remove IUU fishing practices, which cause enormous damage worth several hundred billion baht to its fishing industry.

But so will this:

If the request by the associations were not met within next month, all fishing vessels will stop fishing , said the deputy president of the National Fisheries Association of Thailand Mr Monkol Sukcharoenkana.

NFA of Thailand - don't want to do things in compliance with the law. And try to threaten a Junta to let them have their own way.

Whose gonna get some Attitude Adjustment then?

Attitude adjustment? I fear their masters are connected and powerful, so far the Thai administration's efforts to clean up the country have been half hearted and ineffective with most scams continuing unabated. Jet skis in Phuket, illegal beach business barely controlled a few token arrests of human traffickers, will there be some limp compromise on this issue we shall see.

Attitude adjustment appears to be reserved for political irritants, not for those involved in profitable "enterprise"

We re partaking in illegal activities and now they are complaining that they have to stop it!!!!! Who do they think they are? It is like saying I have always stole motor vehicles so I am going to stop my normal job if you dont let me continue.

Welcome to the real world you morons

Edited by gandalf12

Yes then they can lie about the pool all day or remain glued to a bar stool and pretend they're hard working farang.

Bizarro reply at best.

Yes then they can lie about the pool all day or remain glued to a bar stool and pretend they're hard working farang.

"

That attitude says it all about what most Thais think of farang. They haven't got the sense to realise that to be able to "lay around a pool", or "remain glued to a barstool" most of us worked damned hard from leaving school to retiring at 65. We didn't flit from job to job without giving notice. We didn't leave people in the lurch by quitting house building projects half-way through. We didn't spend all our wages on gambling and cheap firewater. We didn't keep several mia nois when we couldn't even provide for our wives and children. A lot of us served in this theatre in the forces trying to maintain peace and stability in the area. We don't envy others who have plenty (there are lots of your stereotypes here who are Thai), we just get on with life. If you think that criticising the country in which we are guests is wrong then just say so. We also have a go at our own. But to intimate that we're all born with a silver spoon in our mouths and have never done a days work in our lives is plain blx.