A New GS1200 Adv or Triumph VS Bang for your Buck!

BBJ

I presently own a Kawasaki Versys which I've modified with better tires for trail and off road, Ohlins and crash protection etc, but promised myself when the prices came down I'd opt for the GS or Triumph, the new XCX. However, 30,000km +, the Versys with a few thousands on trail and ridden hard, I've yet to suffer with any problems. I service, change sprockets before they're due, and have been through 3 sets of tires.

lift.jpg

Currently I'm on Pirelli Mt60s which will be changed this week for Heidenau K73. But , I've since been put off buying having heard issues with BMW and not living up to their apparent pedigree. A colleague who I haven't ridden with cracked the block at 5k on, while another had issues trail riding with similar problems and BMW are refusing to honor his warranty for riding off road.

Additionally, I test rode the BMW 800 GS for a Thai Auto blog site and to be truthful, It didn't really offer anything more than my versys in it's present status (I wasn't allowed to say that however). Bigger front wheel etc, but I didn't feel I could get places the Versys hasn't already been.

Will the Africa Twin come to Thailand? Hope so.

Any GS owners with reliability issues?

Edited by BBJ

I own a Versys 650 2015, love the bike but never use it for any off-roading.

I also heard that BMW's are suffering from electronic problems and not many dealers in the Kingdom that know how to fix them.

The Triumph Tiger looks cool and the XCX should e good off-road but again, not many dealers around (yet).

Your best bet would be waiting and see if the new Africa Twin is made here, lets hope so, looks nice.

If not stick to your trusted Versys, they are rock solid and very cheap in parts if you crash.

I own a Versys 650 2015, love the bike but never use it for any off-roading.

I also heard that BMW's are suffering from electronic problems and not many dealers in the Kingdom that know how to fix them.

The Triumph Tiger looks cool and the XCX should e good off-road but again, not many dealers around (yet).

Your best bet would be waiting and see if the new Africa Twin is made here, lets hope so, looks nice.

If not stick to your trusted Versys, they are rock solid and very cheap in parts if you crash.

Cost definitely the issue if you blast it off road from time to time. It's a pity the new versys doesn't do it for me. Don't like the look at all.

Since the old BMW dealer got shafted and a new BMW motorbike specific one popped up here in Phuket, I am seeing quite a lot of 800/1200 GS around and their dealership is packed with bikes that come for service. The old dealer was always empty and had a whopping 3 bikes in there. The new one must have had 20-30 (showroom plus service) last I checked.

I come from Germany and over there the R 1200 GS is the most sold bike currently, by a huge margin. And I never heard of big problems from owners. I only hear of these issues in other countries, especially Thailand. Could be that the local factory/dealers are just subpar? Dunno.

I think even if the BMW or Triumph are a bit better at offroading, it would not be worth two or three times the money (in Thailand) plus with expensive bikes one always tries to not get scatches etc on them. One rides more carefully. But especially offroad you don't want to be in that mindset. You want to drive them hard and without worry.

Disclaimer: haven't ridden any of the mentioned bikes so take my post with a pinch of salt.