Visa Run with 8 months overstay?

Hello,

I would like to do a visa run to Laos. Eventually with a van from a Visa Run company.
But, I have an 8 months overstay...
Will it go easily at the border? Or will I have problems, even if I pay the 20.000 fine?
Thank you for your experiences!
  • Like 1

I am sure the OP will not be allowed back in, I am sure they changed the rules and he will have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period until he is allowed to return.

I am sure the OP will not be allowed back in, I am sure they changed the rules and he will have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period until he is allowed to return.

I am sure you are mistaken. They didn't end up changing the rules, that idea was shelved.

I hope so for the OP, they was going to make it 90 day and over long stay banned for 1 year.

I hope so for the OP, they was going to make it 90 day and over long stay banned for 1 year.

The problem with stuff like that is it blows up in news and forums, and then when it gets cancelled no ones hears about it.

Here are Thaivisa moderators confirming it never happened - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/

It's like people still think there's a 'crackdown' on tourist visas, because of the 2014 news, which turned out to just be about back to back visa waivers.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

You can clear the overstay at border.

Every day many people clear overstay at Nong Khai Immigration.

It is fast and you will pay thb20,000.- only.

Thanks for that. I assume since he mentioned using visa run company trip they would insure that he dd not have a problem on the way to the border.

I suggest he contact this company that was a sponsor of this forum to confirm. http://www.thaivisaservice.com

But, is it likely that the OP may encounter any police roadblocks and passport checks along the way if he uses a van and goes overland to clear his overstay? I thought this was the reason for the standard advice to use the nearest airport with international service to fly out of the country to clear an overstay -- less chance of getting stopped in transit and having to deal with with the local BIB.

• Like 1

you could get arrested before the border.

It would be interesting to know why you have an 8 month overstay

Unless you are an immigration officer, how would that information affect the answer to the OP, do you just want to have a go at him?

Edited by Sviss Geez

How long would he get on his new visa?

It would depend upon what visa he applied for.

A tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

A non immigrant visa would allow a 90 day entry.

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers!

I'll update you when I'll be in Laos and back to Thailand (or not update you when I'll be in jail...)

I'll still wait for a few answers if anyone has others information.

Thank you.

Also, I contacted http://www.thaivisaservice.com/

They said there is no problem at all to clear the overstay at the border.

About the check-points, they said the police know there are overstayers in "every" van driving to Laos. That's not a problem.

However, all the others companies didn't answer me when I talked about the overstay...

Thank you for your answers!

I'll update you when I'll be in Laos and back to Thailand (or not update you when I'll be in jail...)

I'll still wait for a few answers if anyone has others information.

Thank you.

Also, I contacted http://www.thaivisaservice.com/

They said there is no problem at all to clear the overstay at the border.

About the check-points, they said the police know there are overstayers in "every" van driving to Laos. That's not a problem.

However, all the others companies didn't answer me when I talked about the overstay...

Good luck and hope all goes well for you, and thanks for getting back to your thread and look forward to your update.

Ubonjoe is right, I had a problem during the red shirt protest and the American embasy closed with my passport inside as I was having pages added, and yes I know it takes only an hour but I had my wife drop it off for me as I was working, legally I might add. I went to the border in sado paid my fine and they just smiled and said thank you, turned around in 10 minutes and re-entered with a welcome to thailand greeting. Why there is no problem with overstays is because each border check point gets to keep 17% of the fine for themselves so they are happy.

Yes http://www.thaivisaservice.com is excellent, I have known Claude for over 5 years and he is probabl;y one of the most honest and helpful people I have ever met. Good luck.

• Like 1

you could get arrested before the border.

It would be interesting to know why you have an 8 month overstay

Wild guess, no respect for the law. Thai law or any law. I'd go the the airport and leave the country, pay on exit and return.

I had an overstay once during previous illegal coup de gras. Though there were serious health issues involved, not mine. . .

The man who took my money said , had I not packed the paper work in my checked bag, he'd have waived the fine. Returned a few months after and got married.

It was not an issue. The overstay. Though it seems like I relate to Thai people and the law very different than many of the posters here. Or I'm in another Thailand.

I can't possibly be the only one who knows how a monetized society works. They all work the same. Money talks, nobody walks.

I am sure you are mistaken. They didn't end up changing the rules, that idea was shelved.

As always here it was only blaa blaa blaa blaa and nothing happend, discover thainess ...crazy.gif

No, it wasn't. The signs are posted in immigration. 90 days and up, I think.