Visa Run with 8 months overstay?

No, it wasn't. The signs are posted in immigration. 90 days and up, I think.

For the umpteen time - there rules were not approved are are not applied - no matter whatever scary sign.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers!

I'll update you when I'll be in Laos and back to Thailand (or not update you when I'll be in jail...)

I'll still wait for a few answers if anyone has others information.

Thank you.

Also, I contacted http://www.thaivisaservice.com/

They said there is no problem at all to clear the overstay at the border.

About the check-points, they said the police know there are overstayers in "every" van driving to Laos. That's not a problem.

However, all the others companies didn't answer me when I talked about the overstay...

I did my new I year visa today and you now have to sign two new forms about overstays.

In both Thai and English called.

The Acknowledgment of Penalties for a Visa Overstay.

Sorry I cant download it but it goes as follows.

This is for peeps that hand themselves in.

Overstay of more than 90 days Forbidden from re-entering the Kingdom for 1 year.

More than 1 year it's as above but for 3 years.

More than 3 years ditto 5 years.

More than 5 years ditto 10 years.

More then 10 years it's a life ban.

That's if you hand yourself in if you are picked up apprehended their words.

Less than one year overstay ban for 3 years

More than 1 year overstay ban for 10 years.

There is also no mention of monies having to be paid.

If it's in motion yet I don't know but they are the new rules that are either here or on their way.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

I did my I year visa today and you now have to sign two new forms about overstays.

If it's in motion yet I don't know but they are the new rules that are either here or on their way.

Again: it is not in motion, it's a stale proposal, now one year old. Quite possibly these rules will never be approved.

I did my I year visa today and you now have to sign two new forms about overstays.

Again: it is not in motion, it's a stale proposal, now one year old. Quite possibly these rules will never be approved.

But possibly they could be, then peeps will be in the doo doo's big time.

The signs are posted in immigration. 90 days and up, I think.

'Those rules proposed by immigration have never been approved by a higher authority and probably will never be. Immigration offices should've already stopped having people sign that acknowledgement.

This has been discussed many times already.'

'The form means nothing it is just an acknowledgement of the purported rules. I signed one over 6 months ago when I applied for my extension.'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/

'It would require an amendment to the immigration act of 1979 is the problem. You would think it would not be that hard to do an amendment to update it but it has not been changed since it was written.'

Also if I recall the guy who proposed the overstay changes isn't even working at immigration anymore, can't find the link to that info though.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

The signs are posted in immigration. 90 days and up, I think.

'Those rules proposed by immigration have never been approved by a higher authority and probably will never be. Immigration offices should've already stopped having people sign that acknowledgement.

This has been discussed many times already.'

'The form means nothing it is just an acknowledgement of the purported rules. I signed one over 6 months ago when I applied for my extension.'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/

'It would require an amendment to the immigration act of 1979 is the problem. You would think it would not be that hard to do an amendment to update it but it has not been changed since it was written.'

Also if I recall the guy who proposed the overstay changes isn't even working at immigration anymore, can't find the link to that info though.

I would agree, apart from the fact that immigration is a police department, and the actual boys in brown seem to issue legally binding edicts like there is no tomorrow.

I would agree, apart from the fact that immigration is a police department, and the actual boys in brown seem to issue legally binding edicts like there is no tomorrow.

They can edit and can police, but can't change penalties for a crime or infraction without a written law endorsed by higher powers. A entry ban given under these "rules" would be simply illegal and would not resist an appeal.

Eight months to get around to something that is so important and so easy?

You must have been very busy with something much more important than staying out of a thai prison.

Good luck!

You may make it to the border without getting arrested.....you may not.

I agree that this kind of behaviour makes things more difficult for all expats.

They have cracked down on the ED visa abusers ( liars ) .

The back to back to back tourist visa game is now under close scrutiny.

Who do you think may be next group of abusers to be "cleaned up"?

Seriously, the rules are not very difficult to follow!

Eight months to get around to something that is so important and so easy?

Seriously, the rules are not very difficult to follow!

Beside that not everyone has an age, family of funds enough to make it easy as you say, now that you vented anger, ill wish, judgement and self-righteousness, to someone that you don't know, much least his motivations, I hope that you feel better.

Just a thought Paz..

Maybe those who are not qualified to be here should not be here?

Again, It reflects poorly on all expats when they are here.

Silly me.

Following rules and laws and silly things like that!

Grow up!

Just a thought Paz..

Maybe those who are not qualified to be here should not be here?

Again, It reflects poorly on all expats when they are here.

Silly me.

Following rules and laws and silly things like that!

Grow up!

Great, you added prejudice, stereotyping and nonsense (the refection on expats pearl) to the string above of hang-them-high party tirade.

If that means growing I'll happily remain of my mental age :)

• Like 2

I am sure the OP will not be allowed back in, I am sure they changed the rules and he will have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period until he is allowed to return.

I am sure you are mistaken. They didn't end up changing the rules, that idea was shelved.

No, it wasn't. The signs are posted in immigration. 90 days and up, I think.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if your talking about the big wooden sign outside CW immmigration exit door they didn't know where to store it so left it there. I went back inside and asked senior officer are those the new rules and was told that was a proposal but was never approved.

• Like 2

I am sure the OP will not be allowed back in, I am sure they changed the rules and he will have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period until he is allowed to return.

Rubbish. (Actually I am tired of overstayers and illegal workers. ) Go to airport and pay your fine. Those of us who live legally are left constantly trying to prove a negative. Thanks mate cheers.

They also have the signs at Phuket immigration, The volunteers and officers just tell the people to ignore it.

Why they are not removed ????

Back to the OP,

I would advise on using the airport to clear the overstay.

You can clear the overstay at a land border but i would not like to risk of a police check on the border run passengers.

The police knows that they are a easy targets and many buses are checked before arriving at the border.

Edited by merijn

You can clear the overstay at a land border but i would not like to risk of a police check on the border run passengers.

The police knows that they are a easy targets and many buses are checked before arriving at the border.

No need. Ready above, vans are stopped and no checks. This of the road stops is another bit of scaremongering.

long overstay, paid and cleared.....best to sort it out and move forwards.....btw my overstay was 11 years and i paid it at BKK airport during last summer....imo if UJ states something without equivocation then best to heed that voice. i remain very grateful for his help when last august during the potential a real crackdown on overstayers, where blacklisting was being reported by some,he provided clear concise and correct info.... i am still in thailand legally and it is great to not have the overstay worrying me anymore. Also Thaivisaservices are spot on, with a very sound and nice chap at the helm.

• Like 2

No need. Ready above, vans are stopped and no checks. This of the road stops is another bit of scaremongering.

Would you take the risk ? I would play it safe and clear it at a airport.

And it is not scaremongering as i know personally 2 persons who where caught with overstay during a police chack at their border run and multiple people who had their passport checked.

It cost them a lot of money to get it cleared.

Would you take the risk ? I would play it safe and clear it at a airport.

And it is not scaremongering as i know personally 2 persons who where caught with overstay during a police chack at their border run and multiple people who had their passport checked.

It cost them a lot of money to get it cleared.

Read above from someone that does visa travel as business:

About the check-points, they said the police know there are overstayers in "every" van driving to Laos. That's not a problem.

Personally I traveled in Thailand with all means and the very few times I was stopped they never looked at my passport.

Other than that, each one can decide for himself.

No matter what anyone says, you are still here in Thailand Illegally. This could spell trouble for you if caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It has also been stated here many times that the Police are making more random checks on Passports. Probably hoping you don't have yours with you for some small money. So be careful and clear this up A.S.A.P.!

A family member cleared his overstay (2,600 days) at the Laos border just 2 months ago. Wasn't allowed the 30 day visa exempt as the overstay was over 90 days. No problem with a 60 day tourist visa and re-entered Thailand the next day.

• Like 1

A family member cleared his overstay (2,600 days) at the Laos border just 2 months ago. Wasn't allowed the 30 day visa exempt as the overstay was over 90 days. No problem with a 60 day tourist visa and re-entered Thailand the next day.

Strange, there is no such rule.

I returned to Thailand via swampy from KL 4 days after clearing 11 year overstay and was allowed in on visa exempt last August. I was however interviewed very intently by the lady i/o and although she did admit me visa exempt I was told to seek out a proper visa and to never overstay again. In hindsight it would have been better to have re-entered on a visa rather than attempting visa exempt and since then I have always traveled into Thailand holding a valid visa. I think that there is no rule against it but at the discretion of the i/o at the time in terms of being able to satisfy them. Just for the record although she was tough she was professional and there was nothing underhand required for re-admission. That was of course when things were very much in a state of flux and uncertainty as to whether the overstay rules were de facto in place. Certainly some people who departed at the end of July seemed to have some greater difficulties but ultimately as UJ has reiterated on numerous threads the rules on overstay were never implemented and the old rules still apply. That having been said I never intend to overstay again.

• Like 1

I speak thai really well and when i went with a really popular van company departing from on nut i came to the conclusion that those in charge at Nong Khai border are definately in very close cahoots with the drivers.

• Like 1

I just cleared my 199 days overstay at Nong Khai today.

Immigration officer asked me "Why so long?". Then the 20.000 baths. And that's it...

I didn't see any police officer on the road from Bangkok to Nong Khai.

• Like 2