Kamronwit to be interrogated by the Japanese prosecutors July 2nd

webfact

I don't think it matters one iota to the Japanese if the weapon is registered or not......that's not the point....

If he starts to tell stupid stories to these guys......it'll just make the hole bigger for him.......wait and see.....but Thainess doesn't go down all that well with the Japanese authorities!

Interrogation - Images of telephone books, electric leads, and water-soaked towels come to mind. Som nom naa.

he is not in the USA

Well yeah. Carrying a concealed weapon (sorry, personal weapon) is almost mandatory there.

Yes, but usually not unlicensed and not concealed in your hand luggage on airplanes.

Japanese authorities are not stupid and corrupt as in other place we know so well,

and if this Lt. General think for a moment that he can rank and title his out of this mess.

he's got another thing coming... I foresee lost of Ramen and fish soups on his menu

for sometime to come, and if by miracle he will get out with a light punishment, it will be

because an enormous pressure was put on the prosecutors and the Japanese government....

Enormous pressure - yeah, sure, Thailand can really wield great pressure, can't it. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Any one get the impression that the Japanese authorities are professional, determined and ready to follow this through to the end where ever it may lead.

No. How long has he been under arrest, a week now? And the prosecutors are just now going to interrogate him to determine if he should be prosecuted? Something isn't right here. Even in the U.S. (although there are horrendous exceptions) prosecutors normally make the decision within a day or two after the arrest. I'm not counting the 16 year old kid who was kept in pretrial detention at Rikers Island for three years before the prosecutor realized he had no probable cause to charge the kid. Or the hundreds (thousands?) of cases of poor people who are held for months because they can't make bail.

Something is going on here besides the charges that are being talked about. He has to have done something to offend a powerful person in Japan.

Japan always does this for big cases.

They have 3 days to hold someone before officially arresting them. They will often wait until the 3rd day, even though the charges are clear (especially with foreigners).

The prosecutor then has 10 days to make a case. During this time, the suspect is interrogated by the detective assigned to the case, visiting the prosecutor now and then. The prosecutor can extend the investigation for 10 days, which they often do in big cases. No need to rush. They already said that Kamronwit will be held for 20 days, and that means that the prosecutor has already decided to extend that investigation period. 20 days is totally, totally normal. And so is re-arresting someone after that for other crimes, then repeating the 20 day cycle again.

Everything is proceeding as one would expect. As for what kind of deals are being made behind the scenes, who knows. Of course Japan wants to "save face" as well, they need to send a message about their laws and guns in the airport. Surely Japan will do something to show that foreigners better take J law seriously. Behind the scenes, they will get some big business contracts inside Thailand. This is a good opportunity for them to do so, and I'm sure the people bargaining for Kamronwit will be bargaining with such contracts.

Do you really think this idiot rates any special "deals" to be done re bargaining for contracts - he wouldn't even rate as a full-stop on the documents under consideration or influence any outcome considering the graft commissions likely to come from major projects.

Do you really think this idiot rates any special "deals" to be done re bargaining for contracts - he wouldn't even rate as a full-stop on the documents under consideration or influence any outcome considering the graft commissions likely to come from major projects.

I don't have any idea how well connected this guy is. Maybe anyone with any clout in Thailand is chuckling at Kamronwit's situation. If there are folks in Thailand who would like to get contracts for Japanese corporations in exchange for a lighter sentence or just a public showing of punishment with no real punishment, then I imagine that's how things will go.

I don't think it matters one iota to the Japanese if the weapon is registered or not......that's not the point....

If he starts to tell stupid stories to these guys......it'll just make the hole bigger for him.......wait and see.....but Thainess doesn't go down all that well with the Japanese authorities!

I think you are wrong. The Japanese want to know for sure how he got the gun. Brought it with him from Thailand or acquired in Japan. If the latter they will want to know who from. Japanese gun laws are very strict. They will want proof of where it came from especially has he's now changed his story.

If he illegally acquired it in Japan he will face more charges.

Charge him, since he is guilty maximum 10 years in the slammer. Add to that the charge of carrying live ammunition, add another three years in the slammer. Hard labour and no parole. Teach this bast@rd and all like him that their 'self perceived special status' means nothing outside Thailand.

Good job you are not in charge of the prosecution.

I have some sympathy for your viewpoint :-)

I sense that his behavior is due to feeling as if he is above the law, due to his status as a senior cop. Let us hope he is not above the Japanese law. It would be wonderful to see him serve some "hard" time. Wonder what his Yakuza boyfriend will call him?

Japanese authorities are not stupid and corrupt as in other place we know so well,

and if this Lt. General think for a moment that he can rank and title his out of this mess.

he's got another thing coming... I foresee lost of Ramen and fish soups on his menu

for sometime to come, and if by miracle he will get out with a light punishment, it will be

because an enormous pressure was put on the prosecutors and the Japanese government....

If he gets out of it light, it's because the J gov or J corporations got a very nice deal on doing business in Thailand. I doubt Japan is going to buckle at pressure from Thailand, Japan has the chips to bargain with right now, and of course they are going to use them.
About the food:
He can get a nicer, larger bento for an addition 150 baht, with little fried goodies and some milk.

Somehow I don't see the current government motivated to give anything away to help this Thaksin brown-noser. I tend to think they want to use all their bargaining power for themselves. I imagine that, if asked about Kamronwit, PM Prayut will quietly say, "Let him rot for all I care".

Any one get the impression that the Japanese authorities are professional, determined and ready to follow this through to the end where ever it may lead.

No. How long has he been under arrest, a week now? And the prosecutors are just now going to interrogate him to determine if he should be prosecuted? Something isn't right here. Even in the U.S. (although there are horrendous exceptions) prosecutors normally make the decision within a day or two after the arrest. I'm not counting the 16 year old kid who was kept in pretrial detention at Rikers Island for three years before the prosecutor realized he had no probable cause to charge the kid. Or the hundreds (thousands?) of cases of poor people who are held for months because they can't make bail.

Something is going on here besides the charges that are being talked about. He has to have done something to offend a powerful person in Japan.

They have 3 days to hold someone before officially arresting them. They will often wait until the 3rd day, even though the charges are clear (especially with foreigners).

The prosecutor then has 10 days to make a case. During this time, the suspect is interrogated by the detective assigned to the case, visiting the prosecutor now and then. The prosecutor can extend the investigation for 10 days, which they often do in big cases. No need to rush. They already said that Kamronwit will be held for 20 days, and that means that the prosecutor has already decided to extend that investigation period. 20 days is totally, totally normal. And so is re-arresting someone after that for other crimes, then repeating the 20 day cycle again.

Everything is proceeding as one would expect. As for what kind of deals are being made behind the scenes, who knows. Of course Japan wants to "save face" as well, they need to send a message about their laws and guns in the airport. Surely Japan will do something to show that foreigners better take J law seriously. Behind the scenes, they will get some big business contracts inside Thailand. This is a good opportunity for them to do so, and I'm sure the people bargaining for Kamronwit will be bargaining with such contracts.

I think they are keeping Kamronwit dangling because he insulted them by trying to bring a loaded revolver through their airport security and onto a commercial passenger plane. He is being punished for his arrogance. I don't know from Japanese today but their history shows they can be merciless. They are letting him twist in the wind to teach him, and any other Thai/foreigner that you don't mess with Japan.

I don't think Japan needs any assistance in doing business in Thailand.

Now that Kamronwit is a civilian, with no ability to help his, now former, friends, they probably don't see where they would get any 'return' on anything invested in his release. Lord Valdemort na Dubai if famous for throwing his supporters under the bus when they are no longer of use to him.

I don't think Japan needs any assistance in doing business in Thailand.

For sure, Japanese companies are doing well. But anybody is happy to take get a leg up in negotiations.

I think they are keeping Kamronwit dangling because he insulted them by trying to bring a loaded revolver through their airport security and onto a commercial passenger plane. He is being punished for his arrogance. I don't know from Japanese today but their history shows they can be merciless. They are letting him twist in the wind to teach him, and any other Thai/foreigner that you don't mess with Japan.

I find Japanese people to be totally merciless when they think someone deserves to be taught a lesson. People aren't the same as the gov, though. In Japan (as in most places in the world), having a network and connections of people that speak up for you is very powerful. That can most certainly influence this case. I mean, the reports were originally that he was released! I highly doubt that was an error in reporting, I think the decision was likely made to release him, and then some other higher-up people changed that decision.

Prior to the coup, Japanese news media was on the side of Thaksin and the red shirts. Perhaps this case will just be handled as it should, in a non-political way. But if powerful people speak up for Kamronwit, then it's likely there will be political dealings that determine how the case is handled. I really don't know anything about Kamronwit other than what I read here. The only point I'm raising is that much of the rule-abiding image the world has of Japan is a misconception. Status and support of a strong group is everything in Japan. Japanese officials will be happy to dangle this case in front of the noses of anyone who can do something to significantly benefit them.

And perhaps nothing will come of that, and they will just stick him in jail as they would for anyone caught trying to get a gun onto a plane.

The Toyota PR lady likewise has remained in custody, and uncharged, since her arrest--the same as the Wit. And prosecutors are saying they expect to decide whether to file the case against her by next week.

I'm not sure their handling of the Wit's case is any different than any other high-profile case where they want to take their time and hopefully make the correct decision based on what their investigation produces.

I don't know the Japanese legal system, but the part that seems interesting to me is that both of these folks are presumably well to do, and should easily be able to pay for bail. But perhaps that's not being offered because they're foreigners, and considered flight risks. Although I'd imagine the Japanese are a whole lot better at seizing criminal suspects' passports than the Thais seem to be.

If he isn't charged for some reason, the only explanation I can imagine would be some kind of behind the scenes deal -- Japanese automakers, factories in Thailand, who will build Thailand's rail projects, why no one has been charged over the shooting death of the Reuters photographer, etc etc etc... The range of possible scenarios is far and wide -- if Japan wanted to go down that road....which I'm not sure they do.

Weekend now and he is unlikely to be charged until Monday when he will have been in custody for 21 days in a single police cell.

They don't seem to be in any rush despite his previous position in Thailand.

Three weeks locked up alone in a foreign country where you cannot speak the language or pull strings can't be much fun.

He is going to be pretty mad with Japan if and when he gets out.

bringing a loaded gun into a plane isn't enough

More BOI privileges, cancellation of some Chinese - Thai government contracts and a lenient sentence for Kamronwit.

I can't see the Thai Government bartering away Chinese contracts for a lenient sentence?

Much easier to throw this failed ex- official under the bus and move on.

Rules for dealing with police

1 - Don't say anything without a lawyer

2 - Don't tell lies that can be dis proven.

3 - Don't say anything without a lawyer

Weekend now and he is unlikely to be charged until Monday when he will have been in custody for 21 days in a single police cell.

They don't seem to be in any rush despite his previous position in Thailand.

Three weeks locked up alone in a foreign country where you cannot speak the language or pull strings can't be much fun.

He is going to be pretty mad with Japan if and when he gets out.

He should look on the bright side, if he gets 10 years then the 21 days will be counted as part of his sentence.