Maximum Speed Signs

lelapin

We have experienced certain residents speeding dangerously around our village in Pattaya. We are therefore about to install maximum speed signs and have heard that the local municipality may be able to help cover the costs to install them. Anybody have any experience of this.

Once installed and if the culprits continue to speed would we be able to use the local police to deal with them.

Edited by Rimmer
fonts

I am sure the rules for Pattaya would be the same as other cities in Thailand hence the general posting.

If Pattaya28 doesn't know what a village in Pattaya is then he is unlikely to be able to provide me with any useful information.

The speed signs work but its how you implement their use, let me tell you how it works.

Dont put the signs in the ground, wait till speeder approaches and like a table tennis bat whack him when he comes past, anything else will have NO effect whatsoever

I was dropping my son off today at the kindergarten. Just getting in the car,and two pickups were aproching very fast,I would say 100clicks,a woman with a baby was crossing the road,

i jumped out of the car and waved them down, screeching tires and all that, They drove away sounding their horns, and giving me a finger.

Remember In Thailand if you complain that somone is in the way,or has done something to hinder you, You are in the wrong for complaining. Fuxxxxx dangerous culture

Convince them to install speed bumpers every 10 m.

Only way to slow the hools.

Who cares for signs?

What does "police" care about speeding in "some soi"?

I live in an upcountry village at the "main road" and even here it is a pest.

Just yesterday was a cremation of yet another of these brainless rowdys.

Drunk drive with his bike down some "cliff".

Guess what his father has died from years ago...

Edited by KhunBENQ

I know how you feel. Time and time again the dangers on the road can not be exaggerated. Just recently however I finally learned from a fiend, and after many years here, that are no hard and fast road rules in Thailand. All signs, red lights, no parking signs, road humps and painted lines are simply advisory. You can drive how you want here without fear of getting a moving violation. For example you an turn right from the left hand side of the road and vice versa, go through a red light, form a 5th column, i.e drive against the traffic on the wrong side of the road, barge in front of a )line of traffic, neglect to replace broken globes, (how many motor bikes have you seen without a rear red light,) and licences? why bother? I have Thai friends who have driven for decades that bothered to get one. So get with the strength. While in Rome do what the Romans dothumbsup.gif .

I am sure the rules for Pattaya would be the same as other cities in Thailand hence the general posting.

If Pattaya28 doesn't know what a village in Pattaya is then he is unlikely to be able to provide me with any useful information.

I asked what is "the village".

Not what is "a village".

Pattaya has 100's of villages.

Where do you live btw?

In a gated housing village, roads are private and not under the authority of Traffic police etc.

Some villages have a controlling committee that might impose conditions such as speed or other things with some form of penalty for infringement but that depends on who has signed up to agree on those and legal action might be difficult.

Police would not be involved in policing any village rules and I know of no system whereby municipality would pay for signage etc. on what is private land but I am prepared to be proven wrong on that latter.

Hope this helps.

In a gated housing village, roads are private and not under the authority of Traffic police etc.

Some villages have a controlling committee that might impose conditions such as speed or other things with some form of penalty for infringement but that depends on who has signed up to agree on those and legal action might be difficult.

Police would not be involved in policing any village rules and I know of no system whereby municipality would pay for signage etc. on what is private land but I am prepared to be proven wrong on that latter.

Hope this helps.

Correct, I live in one.

I doubt if the police would be interested in cars speeding in your village. Two years ago we had a problem in the village where I live with some of the local Thai yoof using our area where we hold AGM's, parties, etc., to get high on yaba every night. There's only one security guard on a shift and these kids all had knives and were high on drugs, so there was nothing he could do. Would the police do anything to help, even though they could have nabbed half a dozen local lowlifes for serious criminal activity with hardly any effort? The committee chairman is a Thai orthopaedic surgeon so he's probably as well-connected as most people here, and he couldn't get the cops to help, so I'd say there's zero hope for any farang wanting assistance for something minor like speeding.

I counted the maximum speed signs between Hayaek Chalong and Central Festival. (One way)

36 signs for 9 km. One sign every 250 meters.

Needless to say that everybody is respecting the maximum speed now.

Who cares for signs?

We have loads of speedbumps in our village ( too many) but it still doesn't really stop speeding thai. Especially Fortuners and pickups just drive full speed over them. At junctions in the village we have pylons on the road, also that doesn't help. Motorcycles just drive around them..Why do we need pylons anyway??

But speeding is a real problem i agree. It has to do with the Thai me-me-me mentality and the fact that there is no police.

Who cares for signs?

We have loads of speedbumps in our village ( too many) but it still doesn't really stop speeding thai. Especially Fortuners and pickups just drive full speed over them. At junctions in the village we have pylons on the road, also that doesn't help. Motorcycles just drive around them..Why do we need pylons anyway??

But speeding is a real problem i agree. It has to do with the Thai me-me-me mentality and the fact that there is no police.

Anybody who has played golf at Crystal Bay near Siracha would disagree. The course is at the end of a gated village and the speed bumps will ruin the suspension of any vehicle - and bikes would be airborne. If I lived in the village I would be pissed off......

Edit - if you add speed bumps make sure they are effective

Edited by topt

I counted the maximum speed signs between Hayaek Chalong and Central Festival. (One way)

36 signs for 9 km. One sign every 250 meters.

Needless to say that everybody is respecting the maximum speed now.

Two problems w/ the speed limit signs on public roads.

# 1 They are the size of an 8 inch pie plate (Should be 1 yard/meter tall).

#2 There's so, so much BS about 2 feet off the side of the road (som-tam carts, election signs & such) that they really don't stand out at all, especially given their tiny size.

As for the Village Idiots, good luck is all I can say.