Someones used my Atm card

I left my wallet at hospital today... I think in a cafe. I tried calling my bank to cancel my cards, but they can't find my name, so I'm now rushing home to find my bank book. In the meantime i see on online banking my card has been found and used, 2k baht is missing.

What are my chances of getting it back? I didn't keep my PIn in my wallet, it must be used in a shop somewhere. Will I need to go to the police? From past experience, my local station can't speak a word of English.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 Baht. Are you sure it isn't some other charge?

What bad guy with some brain would take 2000 Baht if he can get 40.000?

Edit: and why do you have the pin with the card?

Edited by h90

I said I didn't keep the pin with it. So any transaction must be in a shop, not ATM? Card is stopped and there was one payment just under 2k that went out. Whoever took it had a full hour before I could get home and call anyone, because the call centre staff couldn't find my account by name.. What are my chances with the 2k?

I believe that with the correct equipment it is easy to change the PIN on a card. So credit cards get sold.

The bank involved should be able to tell you exactly where the debit card was used. Seems rather weird that only used for a 2k baht purchase.

My feeling is the 2k is gone and getting the bank to refund will be a long uphill battle that will be too frustrating to pursue.

I believe that with the correct equipment it is easy to change the PIN on a card. So credit cards get sold.

PIN numbers are not stored on cards.

PIN numbers are not stored on cards.

Well maybe I wrote it wrong. They can change the PIN that you use on your card, ok?

I don't want to derail the topic, but the pin number cannot be changed unless you know the original pin number/security questions (or you work for the card issuer).

In Thailand most merchants use the magnetic swipe function of the card, where no pin number is needed. And as you are aware, signatures are checked perhaps 1 time in 100.

In most cases you don't need the pin to go shopping.

2000 baht routine bank charge? not sure who you bank with but if you routinely get charged 2000 baht I would suggest you change banks

Alright i'll bite; Could the 2k be routine bank charges (01 July an' all that) & the OP hasn't actually lost anything?

I have NEVER, EVER had my signature checked against my card when I've paid for something at a register.

I have sometimes asked if "Elvis Presley" is ok for a signature. A lost cause. they are not trained, so it must be the store's liability.

FAT CHANCE!!

I had my Kasikorn card skimmed for approximately USD$2000. I didn't notice it at first as I hadn't lost my card and wasn't looking at the balance at the time, but when I thought something was wrong I went through the transaction history carefully. First they took 1000baht, then 2000baht, 5000baht then 10000baht onwards. It's like they were chancing but didn't know the bank balance. It all went from the same ATM outside of a nearby shop (not a bank), and it wasn't the pattern at all of my own ATM behaviour.

After a long long effort with the bank they said they couldn't produce video evidence, but if I went to the police then they could. They also said that if it showed no wrong doing then I would be charged by the police for wasting their time... I decided to drop the case and empty the account to another bank. That sounds like a weak hand I know, but anyone who has had dealings with the police will know that every move costs more money, so decided to cap it and move on.

I said I didn't keep the pin with it. So any transaction must be in a shop, not ATM? Card is stopped and there was one payment just under 2k that went out. Whoever took it had a full hour before I could get home and call anyone, because the call centre staff couldn't find my account by name.. What are my chances with the 2k?

You can work out from your statement where it was used, have your bank issue a charge-back. There shouldn't be any issue in recovering it as long as it's a Visa/Mastercard/Amex, the merchant is liable to the cardholder.

Your bank must help you as per their agreement with Visa/Mastercard/Amex.

I had my Kasikorn card skimmed for approximately USD$2000. I didn't notice it at first as I hadn't lost my card and wasn't looking at the balance at the time, but when I thought something was wrong I went through the transaction history carefully. First they took 1000baht, then 2000baht, 5000baht then 10000baht onwards. It's like they were chancing but didn't know the bank balance. It all went from the same ATM outside of a nearby shop (not a bank), and it wasn't the pattern at all of my own ATM behaviour.

After a long long effort with the bank they said they couldn't produce video evidence, but if I went to the police then they could. They also said that if it showed no wrong doing then I would be charged by the police for wasting their time... I decided to drop the case and empty the account to another bank. That sounds like a weak hand I know, but anyone who has had dealings with the police will know that every move costs more money, so decided to cap it and move on.

Tht last sentence is not true.They didnt charge me,and that was soi9,Pattaya.Gave me the cd with atm photos to go make copies.

The new "paywave" function on cards is a worry, anybody who has your card can use it. I've blocked my paywave.

I'd suggest you put a stop on the card and get a new one. Kiss the 2000 baht goodbye, it's probably too complicated to try and get it back.

This post isnt worth 2000 baht. You worry about that??

I would rich guy.............rolleyes.gif

Wow .. I have seen some rediculous posts on Thai Visa, but Sead, congratulations, you are in first place .. and with only half a year to go .. stand a good chance of being on top of the Mount Redickisless at year end.

Tip, meet Iceberg, iceberg ... meet tip.

you beat me to it smile.png anyone who bitches about losing 2000 baht would probably run across the sukhumvit to pick up 5baht

........and probably has 30 million plus in the bank already......

edit......ive lost my electric meter deposit slips....i have to go to the police, get a report that ive lost 2 bits of paper then go back to the electric company and waste half a day trying to get back 4000 bt deposit.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz just keep it.

n i got NO millions in a bank

Edited by tomyumchai

razorramone

I wish you had told us the bank you use, that would make it easier to help. I am surprised that they can not track your card via your passport number.

Here is the (hopefully) GOOD NEWS - Many banks allow you to shut off the card via your online banking. Most of us have online banking ... hope you do too!

Wait ... i just re-read your original posting. You have on line banking, which is how you are seeing these charges. Ummm ... TURN OFF THE CARD.

Now, the rest ...This is not pointed at you, but the gang on Thia Visa who busts my chops all the time.

Several month ago I posted about the importance of scanning (both sides, when pertinent) of passport, visa, credit cards, traveler's checks, driver license, etc etc etc. ... and even your water bill, phone bill .. to prove residency and have the address written clearly in Thai.

I go a TON of greif about this .. and rediculous "what if you get hacked" comments. Here we see something that happens to normal people every day, all over the world. So statistically, which happens more ... lost wallets .. or the entire Microsoft One Drive universe being hacked, and hackers transcribing the information, by hand, one card and passport at a time?

What i am saying here is take this poor guys bad luck, and LEARN from it.

if he had scans in the cloud, it would be child's play to pick up the phone, make the call, and have the card turned off. He would end the exposure to massive fraud, and might even ... just maybe .. get the 2,000 back .. (The least of his worries)

And how do I know this works? Left my card in a club at 2:00 AM, went back, they were closed.
No worries, opened my smart phone, went to One Drive, had the card information "in hand" called my bank (Oh, did i mention that on the same image with the card, I wrote the bank's number so i would not have to try and read the tiny writing on the card?) ... less that 10 minutes ... DONE

And why am i such a nut about all this?

Ready for the punchline lads?

I was a risk FRAUD analyst for the top credit card companies.

Edited by Guest

you beat me to it smile.png anyone who bitches about losing 2000 baht would probably run across the sukhumvit to pick up 5baht

........and probably has 30 million plus in the bank already......

edit......ive lost my electric meter deposit slips....i have to go to the police, get a report that ive lost 2 bits of paper then go back to the electric company and waste half a day trying to get back 4000 bt deposit.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz just keep it.

n i got NO millions in a bank

OMG .. there are TWO of you. Gentlemen, I really think you should communicate via the Thai Visa direct mail and get to know each-other.

I would have never guessed that there could be a pair who do not understand .. this is not dropping cash in the ocean and spending the day looking for it .. it is the first in what may be an account draining card fraud case.

Could you possibly find a way to expose your ignorance more profoundly than these postings?

Now I have to spend time recalibrating the "how low can you go?" meter for Thai Visa.

PS, since 2,000 THB - 4,000 THB is no big deal .. if you are in BKK .. just tell me where we can meet up ... paper or coin .. makes no difference to me .. happy to pick up $100 bucks ...

Money for nothing and chicks for free! It IS going to be a great Saturday night !

Utter drivel

You can't change the PIN number on a card unless you have the original.

He was understandably concerned at first because he didn't know how where the losses were going to stop but the card's been cancelled now and he's only out 2K.

If he can get it back easily, then he should but if it's going to be a mission, 2K is nothing to write off

Excerpt from his posting: "What are my chances of getting it back? I didn't keep my PIn in my wallet,"

In modern chip based cards yes, the chip cards contain a mechanism for local PIN verification, as opposed to host-based PIN verification for the magnetic cards.

It is done using public key infrastructure, and large RSA keys.

Also the PIN is stored in a secure, tamper resistant memory within the card, and practically cannot be extracted, so you shouldn't generally be worried about the PIN being stored on the card.

But this is only if the card has a chip - if not then the PIN is stored on the server.

In both cases the PIN is not stored on the magnetic strip and cannot be changed without the encryption keys.