Thai revenue from domestic tourism is likely to fall short of target

webfact

Revenue from domestic tourism is likely to fall short of target

7-9-2015-4-10-27-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Domestic tourism for the second half of the year will not be brisk as earlier predicted and revenue for the whole year is likely to fall short of the 800 billion baht target by up to 300 billion baht, said Mr Yutthachai Sunthornrattanavech, president of Domestic Tourism Business Association.

He attributed to the drop in domestic tourism to the weakening economy, drought and the stoppage of illegal fishing vessels among others.

He pointed out that the government has not attached much importance to domestic tourism compared to foreign tourism such as Chinese tourists.

However, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanawarangkoon said she was confident that the 800 billion baht targeted revenue from tourism would be achieved despite a drop in the purchasing power of Thais in the second half of the year.

Citing statistics, the minister disclosed that for the first four months of this year a total of 48.53 Thais travelled domestically representing an increase of 35 percent and generating 206 billion baht in revenue compared to the same period last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/revenue-from-domestic-tourism-is-likely-to-fall-short-of-target

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-09

The stoppage of illegal fishing vessels will affect domestic tourism ?

When it comes to excuses for Thais it's ' any port in a storm ' ! biggrin.png

Is the president saying Thais won't tour domestically because they might not get seafood and what's available will be too expensive or they can't go the the coastal areas simply to watch the boats put to sea ?

Minister has not heard the news yet, Chinese stock market lost $3.2 trillion dollars and keeps falling.

Might be best NOT to set any targets and any income would be a bonus

Sensible suggestion but let's not forget NOTHING ever affects Thai tourism.

After reading thew imaginary numbers generated by the TAT Guessworks Factory, the title should have been "TAT Defends Their Predictions Once More Using Numbers Generated by a Ouija Board".

I am starting to think they are just amusing us on purpose.

The strange thing is that DSI is now investigating equipment they purchased. The government propaganda department is realizing that TAT is embarrassing them. We have TAT, andThe Department of Tourism (under the Tourism and Sports Authority), and only God knows how many other redundancies in a redundant political culture with redundant coups and more redundant redundancies.

Minister has not heard the news yet, Chinese stock market lost $3.2 trillion dollars and keeps falling.

Very true but unfortunately I dont think Minister Mrs. Wristband Popcorn have any clue to what that would mean to the common travelling china-man that in fact own 80% of the shares on the Chinese stock market ...

Chinese stock market is gonna be a bloodbath ... Think Thailand have to look for other options, maybe Afghanistan or Syria could be a possibility ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No more than they deserve for their constant bullshit spin.

I wonder if Prayuth has the Cojones to sack Kobakarn? whistling.gif

Oh wow you've got me salivating, sack the wife of a brother general !

Counter-coup, counter-coup, This Is Not A Drill ! biggrin.png

The TAT has been listening too much to The Donald (Trump) " I'm worth whatever I say I am

worth" for the TAT "The tourist numbers are going to be whatever I say they are going to be"

The sooner we understand that the better. tongue.png

That said I sure hope they look at the Hang Seng. Russian numbers took a pounding over

the last 18 months that will not improve any time soon and the Chinese numbers will

in all likelihood show the same drop off only it will show up almost immediately. I am

thinking within the next 4-6 weeks. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulic

No more than they deserve for their constant bullshit spin.

I wonder if Prayuth has the Cojones to sack Kobakarn? whistling.gif

Oh wow you've got me salivating, sack the wife of a brother general !

Counter-coup, counter-coup, This Is Not A Drill ! biggrin.png

Only a police general so more a half brother though he was in charge of police on Phuket for a while so probably has plenty of insight into tourism and corruption! It is her family that have been very influential for many years being one of the big five families controlling the rice trade way back in the last century.

Also Thailand is getting expensive:

I recall a while back we calculated, if doing holidays in Thailand in winter than half the costs we save at home because we don't need to heat.

Now when my mother want to drink a glass of white wine she pays 200+ Baht for something that tastes really bad. In my country you can buy 2 bottle excellent wine for that.

The beaches are often not so clean, service not as good as before.

Everything not terrible bad, but not good enough to trigger the desire to spend the money for the flight.

That the first thing you see when arriving tired is a taxi driver that cheats you doesn't help as well.

Very true but unfortunately I dont think Minister Mrs. Wristband Popcorn have any clue to what that would mean to the common travelling china-man that in fact own 80% of the shares on the Chinese stock market ...

Chinese stock market is gonna be a bloodbath ... Think Thailand have to look for other options, maybe Afghanistan or Syria could be a possibility ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Roll out the backpacker welcome mat again, that's where it all started.

"the government has not attached much importance to domestic tourism compared to foreign tourism such as Chinese tourists."

Someone better tell the Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn who expects domestic tourism to achieve more than one-third of total revenues:

“As for this year [2015], the minister [Kobkarn] expects 1.4 trillion baht from foreign visitors and another 800 billion baht from domestic travelers." 2015-06-11

Better to say that the government has not attached much importance to any of its tourism predictions.