Windows 8 vs Windows7?

TBKK

I am in the process of buying a new laptop, probably will get a slim notebook type, and I am not sure if I should get windows 8 or windows 7 on my new laptop.

I currently have windows 7 and I am happy with it. Also, if I get windows 8, I will have to make a decision if I should get a touchscreen or a touch pad with the windows 8 operating system.

I am comfortable with the touch pad on my current laptop and it seems that using a touchscreen would be awkward, bit I never have used a touchscreen with a laptop so I'm not certain.

I have no experience using window 8 so I would appreciate some input regarding this matter.

Windows 10 coming in 12 days. Install either Win 7 or 8 and you will get a free (downloaded) upgrade to Win 10. It works well and has a more user-friendly interface than Win 8.

I'm holding off on Windows 10 until I hear reports that it's working great. No hurry here.

There is a small program that's really popular for Windows 8 - 8.1 that puts the Windows 7 interface back. Google for "make windows 8 look like Windows 7". It's free and works well for me.

Oh, There are some reports that cracked version of 7 and 8 won't validate 10. It will install but not validate. Since those dodgy OS's are so widespread in LOS, I'd be careful what I did. The most popular "activator" for 7 and 8 is very suspect.

I have two good laptops with valid 8.1 as they shipped factory installed so my only concern is getting any bugs out of 10 before I upgrade.

(I wonder how Microsoft can be certain that there are drivers for 10 when many machines were built for 7 and 8. I know I could't run 7 on a new laptop that shipped with 8 because no drivers were ever made for some of the hardware to work with 7. I wound up having to blow out 7 and reinstall 8.)

OP, Also, if the OS is factory installed, 7 is really yesterday and the hardware could also be dated. It could be an older unsold machine that doesn't have all of the newer things such as USB 3.0 (blue ports) or SATA 6G for the HDD. I'd want to know more about the hardware than the OS which I could upgrade.

Did you have any problems getting used to the touch screen using windows 8?

Dell gives me the option of ordering windows 8 with a touch screen or touch pad.

Since I've been using a touch pad with my laptops for the past 10 years, I think that I will continue to use a touch pad.

It seems like it would be easier to use a touch pad instead of a touch screen.

If you are going to use windows 8 or 10 ( when released) then recommend getting touch screen

I have laptop running 8.1 with touch screen and it is nice having option of both touch screen and the touch pad

As some things are more convenient using the touch screen..

Like swiping the menu from the right for searches or turning off machine

Also windows 8 as the 2 interfaces.. One is like normal desktop and other is more like tablet interface with App Store

Many of the apps are only useful with touch screen

No reason not to get touch screen in my opinion

Hoping in a few more years the laptop / tablet hybrids will be a bit more powerful and lower cost... If So, next laptop will be a hybrid

Actually believe in the next 10 years ... This will be the norm and the non touch screen / hybrids will be nearly obsolete...

(Moved to a more suitable subforum)

Windows 7 is hands down the best desktop/laptop OS Microsoft has ever designed, and they nailed it right out of the gate. The only problem is that it was a lousy touch screen OS so MS came up with 8, 9, and soon 10. Unfortunately very few people bother with Windows on touch devices so it was a lot of effort to make a new OS centred around touch screen devices at the expense of the Desktop users.

The death of the desktop has been predicted for two decades, but it isn't happening anytime soon.

I'm holding off on Windows 10 until I hear reports that it's working great. No hurry here.

There is a small program that's really popular for Windows 8 - 8.1 that puts the Windows 7 interface back. Google for "make windows 8 look like Windows 7". It's free and works well for me.

http://www.classicshell.net/

That's it. I didn't know if it was OK to post that. thumbsup.gif

Windows 7 is hands down the best desktop/laptop OS Microsoft has ever designed, and they nailed it right out of the gate. The only problem is that it was a lousy touch screen OS so MS came up with 8, 9, and soon 10. Unfortunately very few people bother with Windows on touch devices so it was a lot of effort to make a new OS centred around touch screen devices at the expense of the Desktop users.

The death of the desktop has been predicted for two decades, but it isn't happening anytime soon.

I agree. I have two Win 8 laptops and a Win 7 desktop and I never touch the screen. I don't even know it it works, LOL. I use Classic Shell.

Desktops are nice for installing additional hardware and upgrading. I'm going more to laptops because they are portable. I have a powered USB hub which works for my full sized keyboard and mouse and an external HDD, and all I have to do for a "docking station" is to plug in the USB hub, attached the VGA monitor/TV which is 32", and plug in the charger cable. The laptop gets pushed aside.

Cheers

If you are going to use windows 8 or 10 ( when released) then recommend getting touch screen

I have laptop running 8.1 with touch screen and it is nice having option of both touch screen and the touch pad

Also windows 8 as the 2 interfaces.. One is like normal desktop and other is more like tablet interface with App Store

Hoping in a few more years the laptop / tablet hybrids will be a bit more powerful and lower cost... If So, next laptop will be a hybrid

Actually believe in the next 10 years ... This will be the norm and the non touch screen / hybrids will be nearly obsolete...

LOL. Right now I'm kicked back in my office chair, feet on my desk, with a wireless keyboard in my lap and a wireless optical mouse on a small table right beside me. I have never gotten used to a touch screen or a touch pad and my mouse goes everywhere with me. I have a 32" monitor I can see from across the room. I'm probably just too old to learn new tricks, 555.

Cheers.

Good to know that I can use both the touch screen and the touch pad with windows 8.

I thought that I would have the option to use one or the other.

If buying a windows 8 laptop with a touch screen also gives me the option to use the touch pad, then there would be no reason not to buy the touch screen model and have the option of using one or the other.

This post seems so wrong is so many ways, but perhaps I am old school? I recall having to put a notice on my screen a few years ago telling people to keep the hands off my screen. They would often like to point to things and leave dirty finger prints all over the screen. How on earth has this changed since?

Win8 and all its so called apps tried to implement touch just to gain traction in the market, but its failed as I and many predicted. Things like classic shell had to be made to counter the nonsense. Look forward to Win10 when a more natural feel of a pointing device like a mouse or touch pad comes back, because who feels comfortable having to reach extra distance to the screen to access the o/s when the mouse is already in your hands on a PC or laptop? Quite bizarre to this old schoolers mind. If you want touch, get a tablet or one of it's hybrids designed for touch.

Edited by MJKT2014

If you can buy a new computer that still works on Windows 7 it should come with a cd that you can install Windows 8 if you want to.If have got an Asus that operates of Windows 7 but I have the cd to install Windows 8 if I want to.I just use Windows 7 suits me

10 will validate but if you go back to 7 or 8 lose genuine, tried 7, 8, 8.1 and out of the 4 happier to go with 7 anyday but i will say i also liked xp so maybe a wannabe head in the sand kid expert tech, so all i can say is up to you each to their own as the saying goes.

I've recently had Windows 7 installed after my hard drive crashed and am ecstatic about it biggrin.png I'd had XP before and it took so long to log off I'd regularly just put on ten hours of didgeridoo to keep the computer running and avoid the long unnecessary wait. Windows 7 simply shuts down, brilliant, so won't chance mucking about with 'upgrades' that rarely are. On the touchscreen issue, I'd ordered a new monitor with touchscreen which, after having almost chucked the damn thing out the window a couple of times, is now back in it's box and staying there angry.png

This post seems so wrong is so many ways, but perhaps I am old school? I recall having to put a notice on my screen a few years ago telling people to keep the hands off my screen. They would often like to point to things and leave dirty finger prints all over the screen. How on earth has this changed since?

Win8 and all its so called apps tried to implement touch just to gain traction in the market, but its failed as I and many predicted. Things like classic shell had to be made to counter the nonsense. Look forward to Win10 when a more natural feel of a pointing device like a mouse or touch pad comes back, because who feels comfortable having to reach extra distance to the screen to access the o/s when the mouse is already in your hands on a PC or laptop? Quite bizarre to this old schoolers mind. If you want touch, get a tablet or one of it's hybrids designed for touch.

To each his own I guess...

In my mind why not get the touch screen? Cost wasn't any more ... So why not.

If you just want to use your touch pad or mouse ... No problem to do so...

Also has desk top and the app page...

Granted I use the desktop about 90% of the time and the touch screen and apps only 10% or less...

But for that 10% it's nice...

It's all about keeping all options available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dumb masses are expanding and will be equipped with touchscreens where they can press on oversized icons with their fat fingers to see pages with few, oversized text and won't be confused by a keyboard with too many button-thingies and a mouse with two buttons and sometimes a wheel that can be pressed too ! brain overload !

Meanwhile, the normal PC users with an IQ of at least 100 will continue to be annoyed with dumbed down "apps" and will want to continue being computer users. Desktop OS are not going to disappear anytime soon.

I said 100 for the IQ, and that is by today's standards, because 100 is defined as the average, and that will tank, believe me. Touchscreen computers are not going to help.

In my opinion touch screens on laptops are just a gimmick / selling point. But hey there's no harm in getting a laptop with touchscreen and a touch pad. Then you can choose whichever one you prefer or switch between them as you like.

As for Windows 7 or 8 a laptop with 8 will most likely have newer hardware and as others have said you can upgrade to 10 for free. I've been using 10 for several months now on two desktops and a laptop and I think they (Microsoft) have done a great job with it.

From reading this thread, there seems to be an indication by the views of the posters that 8.1 isn't as stable an operating system as 7?

I have to admit that that hasn't been my experience, and I have found that in general, 8.1 boots a lot faster, has better search functions, and, once setup to the operators preferred interface, a better system all round.

The big mistake that Windows made was getting rid of the start menu and setting Metro as default on its installs. However, once you get rid of this abortion and boot to desktop, you are back to the normal Windows screens. Add a third party software (classicshell, ViStart (which I am using), etc) to get your start menu back, and IMO, you have a Windows 7 on steroids running 8.1.

And to the OP, yes I would opt for the touch screen as this works well with 8.1, and will also work with 10 (when SP1 is released................wink.png ) and most of the initial bugs are sorted out.

I have a touch screen on one of my laptops, but also have a wireless mouse attached. This will not change (for me) in the near future.

From reading this thread, there seems to be an indication by the views of the posters that 8.1 isn't as stable an operating system as 7?

I have to admit that that hasn't been my experience, and I have found that in general, 8.1 boots a lot faster, has better search functions, and, once setup to the operators preferred interface, a better system all round.

The big mistake that Windows made was getting rid of the start menu and setting Metro as default on its installs. However, once you get rid of this abortion and boot to desktop, you are back to the normal Windows screens. Add a third party software (classicshell, ViStart (which I am using), etc) to get your start menu back, and IMO, you have a Windows 7 on steroids running 8.1.

And to the OP, yes I would opt for the touch screen as this works well with 8.1, and will also work with 10 (when SP1 is released................wink.png ) and most of the initial bugs are sorted out.

I have a touch screen on one of my laptops, but also have a wireless mouse attached. This will not change (for me) in the near future.

I agree with this.

In addition, it was quite easy to make a very usable Programs Menu within Windows 8/8.1 or free start menu programs are available.

Thanks for the info..........I think that I'll hold off for a while and wait for windows 10 to hit the market.

If windows 10 turns out to be the improved operating system that Microsoft wants you to believe, than I will go with it.

If not, than I'll opt for windows 8.