EU tells Thailand more to do on illegal fishing: official

webfact

EU tells Thailand more to do on illegal fishing: official

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The European Union has warned Thailand that it is still not doing enough to stamp out illegal fishing practices, the country's defense minister said on Friday, raising the prospects of a trade ban.

Thailand, the world's third-largest seafood exporter, was given six months by the EU in April to address issues such as ensuring all fishing vessels are registered, have registered equipment and are fitted with a Vessel Monitoring System (VMS).

"The EU sent a letter saying our actions were still not correct both in terms of administration and legislation," Defense Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told reporters on Friday.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/17/us-thailand-eu-fishing-idUSKCN0PR0FL20150717

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-07-17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone surprised at this news?

I am, cause they was doing the right in the beginning.

When it went wrong in my option, was when there was low supply of seafood and the prices skyrocketing was told to go and fish,

even with illegal boats and unauthorized equipment.

So we got a problem with supply, lets do as before.

What i understand is the government thought it had fulfilled its obligations to the EU with Stricter regulations as ensuring all boats are registered, have authorized equipment and are fitted with a Vessel Monitoring System,

but almost 2 month after the warning from EU.

So as we read in BP today government thought it had fulfilled its obligations, but what about the future, to control the regulations and its happening. There is the problem. Thailand need to act fast to avoid this.

Gov’t asks all sides to help solve IUU prior to next evaluation in Oct

BANGKOK, 17 July 2015 (NNT) – The Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives has affirmed all legal fishing vessels can continue their operations as usual, stressing that all sides must help solve all IUU issues before the EU’s next evaluation in October.

The Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Petipong Pungbun Na Ayudhya, has revealed the eradication progress of the Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing by the Thai authorities, stating that positive progress has resulted from the many measures utilized, such as the establishment of new laws and the national plan to eradicate IUU fishing. The government will be discussing with representatives of the European Union further on any extra measures required to lift the country’s status.

He has said that Thailand now needs to focus on the suppression of illegal fishing practices to demonstrate the nation’s sincerity in its fight against IUU fishing. The EU is expected to start sending its officials to gather relevant data on August 2015, prior to the official evaluation in October.

The minister has requested a cooperative effort from fisheries entrepreneurs to register their vessels and obtain legal fishing permits, which requires all fishing instruments to comply with the regulations. Furthermore, all workers involved must be employed legally.

Registered vessels that meet the regulations will be allowed to operate as normal, while unregistered vessels can still obtain their status by registering with the Marine Department or the Department of Fisheries until 31 July 2015.

The government would like to take this occasion to overhaul the fishery practices in the country to strike a balance between catch and natural resources available, while the number of legal and illegal vessels must be sorted as this issue is the key to the solution of the IUU practices. Further aid measures will be enacted to help mitigate this problem, the Minister says.

He has added that the ministry will monitor and even evaluation the effects caused by the embargo of illegal vessels, but findings shows no change to seafood products such as prawn, crab, and the Asian sea bass, as they are mostly farm raised. Affected businesses such as fish markets, ice factories, and animal feed factories are those that rely on small catches as ingredient. They are now trying to differentiate to imports from other sources, as a substitute for the decreased supply.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-17 footer_n.gif

"The Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Petipong Pungbun Na Ayudhya, has revealed the eradication progress of the Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing by the Thai authorities, stating that positive progress has resulted from the many measures utilized, such as the establishment of new laws and the national plan to eradicate IUU fishing. The government will be discussing with representatives of the European Union further on any extra measures required to lift the countrys status."

I've got one measure that is required....enforce the laws.

Edited by Bluespunk

I wonder why the EU play's ball just now, when they blind folded their demands for the past 30 years.......a ne way of meddling in internal Thai politics perhaps?

I wonder why the EU play's ball just now, when they blind folded their demands for the past 30 years.......a ne way of meddling in internal Thai politics perhaps?

Thailand had their chance when they had favoured status to get on board with EU requirements.

That's over and now it's time to play by its rules or find new markets.

Nothing to do with controlling internal politics.

Thailand had their chance when they had favoured status to get on board with EU requirements.

and you don't think about the timing for this issue?

Edited by carstenp

and you don't think the timing for this issue?

Times up.

Simple as that.

I assume the mass graves discovered at abandoned illegal migrant camps, and the link between the migrant slave trade and slave labor on fishing boats, prompted action on this matter. Once they started investigating the slave labor issue they had to address the illegal fishing in prohibited waters as well.

I assume the mass graves discovered at abandoned illegal migrant camps, and the link between the migrant slave trade and slave labor on fishing boats, prompted action on this matter. Once they started investigating the slave labor issue they had to address the illegal fishing in prohibited waters as well.

Point taking. I'm agree with that

When it went wrong in my option, was when there was low supply of seafood and the prices skyrocketing was told to go and fish,

What i understand is the government thought it had fulfilled its obligations to the EU with Stricter regulations as ensuring all boats are registered, have authorized equipment and are fitted with a Vessel Monitoring System,

So as we read in BP today government thought it had fulfilled its obligations, but what about the future, to control the regulations and its happening. There is the problem. Thailand need to act fast to avoid this.

Agree.

There is no framework for regulating the fishing industry, without a framework (institutions, procedures, rules, Chain of custody for the products, legal framework, organizations etc) the EU cannot verify anything about the Thai fishing Industry. A sudden order by the military top to do this and that have no effect whatsoever if there is no framework, because at the moment the Country do not have a civil government to implement the framework and follow up on it.

"...while the number of legal and illegal vessels must be sorted as this issue is the key to the solution of the IUU practices."

Here's a wild idea, how about not allowing illegal vessels to fish?

And keep the low life captains out of the industry if they can't or simply don't want to comply they should be deemed to be not fit and proper people to hold a fishing license, end the 2 month amnesty on these crooks now.

Is Thailand part of Eu? I don't think so. Then which right is it dare give orders to Thailand ? The damages that it causing to the European countries doesn't enough for them ?

the same right as any customer of any business has, if I don't like the way you run your business I and you don't change your methods I will go elsewhere.

something similar happened in the UK in the days of apartheid when many ordinary people boycotted South African goods

Because many people want their country to move forward, and only the powerful corrupt ones don't, and with human rights, and social media going on these days, people and other countries are seeing what is really going on, and what their money is buying, and with all the forced labour and kidnappings to work on these boats, and all the proof that they have shown lately, that's why

They had them all in port 2 weeks ago because 90% weren't registered then the govt caved in and told them to go fishing.

They hadn't achieved anything

"...while the number of legal and illegal vessels must be sorted as this issue is the key to the solution of the IUU practices."

Here's a wild idea, how about not allowing illegal vessels to fish?

I can really appreciate the idea. However like most things in Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions most of the corruption benefits whom? Some would say.... police/army/govt. lackies/politicians/ and all the oligarchy know in the country by "don't you know who I am?"

Is Thailand part of Eu? I don't think so. Then which right is it dare give orders to Thailand ? The damages that it causing to the European countries doesn't enough for them ?

Fact of life old chap, if you want to trade with the EU then they can set the rules, simple !!!

Just last week before the extension of delay there were 3 massive trawlers fishing about a km off the coast of Koh Toa with seemingly no worry at all, clearly within the 3 km limit.

I am not surprised they don't want GPS tracking devices, maybe the Admirals can concentrate their sub budget on some inshore coastal vessels to apprehend some of these, which might attract less criticism. Not that i think it would alleviate the problem.

Last week Americans and the Air safety now EU and the fishing why are people trying to rock the boat in a perfect run country with the perfect Junta running things dont need any help or advise over here as everything is perfect but thank you for your interest anyway. .

The customer is king - it's as simple as that. If I don't like a product/service I go somewhere else. This really isn't hard to understand.

And what damages to EU countries are you babbling about???