6 Month ban for drunk captain of pleasure boat driven onto sand at Pattaya Beach

webfact

6 Month ban for drunk captain of pleasure boat driven onto sand at Pattaya Beach

boat-31.jpg

PATTAYA: -- It was announced on Monday that the 51 year old Captain of a Pleasure Boat which ran ashore on Pattaya Beach late on Sunday Night has been banned from captaining any boats for 6 months.

The initial incident began at 8pm on Sunday Night when witnesses saw a pleasure boat named “Iti Under 4” approaching Pattaya Beach opposite Soi 13, at high speed and it came ashore and became stuck on the sand with its engine running.

Beachgoers ran to avoid the fast-approaching vessel, whose Captain remained on the boat and appeared in a heavily intoxicated state. After 4 hours Khun Kumpar was removed from the boat and taken to Pattaya Police Station.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/204114/6-month-ban-for-drunk-captain-of-pleasure-boat-driven-onto-sand-at-pattaya-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-07-21

would anyone ever want to be a passenger of a boat with this guy at the wheel, a ban for 6 months is quite honestly ridiculous, he should have been thrown in jail and banned for life sending a clear message to all other boat captains who are responsible for peoples lives that this is unacceptable behaviour, what on earth are they thinking

A six-month ban? That's it? Just a temporary BAN?? That might be appropriate for drinking & driving a jet ski FPS! But a commercial excursion boat like this!! Oh well, if we don't like it, I guess we can leave, right? ...that is, as long as you never find yourself in this drunken Thai sailor's path! (Well, I guess you can still leave ... in a body bag.)

Edited by hawker9000

I agree.

A six month ban on the guy is too lenient.

People who drive the public for a living and fail to do so responsibly need to be removed of that responsibility.

He should be doing the commercial fishing boats.

You may be interested to know that operating a boat under influence of alcohol is not illegal in LoS.

There is no alcohol limit and no checks (as with cars/bikes etc).

But if you end up in an accident under influence, tough luck.

SInce I have a boat myself I have checked this out quite thoroughly with the Marine Dep. main office in BKK.

(at least, the above was the case 3 years ago, doubt that it has changed)

(having said that. thais have a fairly relaxed attitude towards driving cars and bikes when drunk.

i rarely or never see thais operating their boats when drinking. a bit surprising maybe.)

He's been banned which is a good start. OK, it could have been more but TV peeps, imagine how you'd be feasting on this if he'd got nothing!

A good start? It'll probably take more than six months just to repair & refloat the boat, & get it back into service! So how much of an imposition does a 26-week ban really represent? But I'm exaggerating: a little paint here & there, a name change, maybe an extra underpaid teenage or two bailing water, some tea money, the next high tide, and I'm sure that bugger will be hauling hapless passengers again in no time.

He's been banned which is a good start. OK, it could have been more but TV peeps, imagine how you'd be feasting on this if he'd got nothing!

A good start? It'll probably take more than six months just to repair & refloat the boat, & get it back into service! So how much of an imposition does a 26-week ban really represent? But I'm exaggerating: a little paint here & there, a name change, maybe an extra underpaid teenage or two bailing water, some tea money, the next high tide, and I'm sure that bugger will be hauling hapless passengers again in no time.

it had been re-floated by monday evening.

i went past at 22.00 hrs and it had gone.

when i looked at it perched on the beach monday lunchtime i could see no damage other than wear and tear that you might expect on a boat that is getting on a bit.

would anyone ever want to be a passenger of a boat with this guy at the wheel, a ban for 6 months is quite honestly ridiculous, he should have been thrown in jail and banned for life sending a clear message to all other boat captains who are responsible for peoples lives that this is unacceptable behaviour, what on earth are they thinking

But, that would be representative of law and order. Something the Thais are trying to avoid at all costs. And it would also be representative of punishment that is commensurate with the crime. Something that is also being avoided at all costs. What you are asking for is a civilized society that believes in a deterrent, and the rule of law, and the application of common sense. Do you see much of that here?

Thinking?

Mai khao jai.

coffee1.gif

Thank god posters on this thread are not in charge of pattaya

you lot would have executed everyone in town by now.

6 months is ok.

No one hurt, No passengers on-board. bit of damage to a small boat

Big deal, coffee1.gif

Edited by onemorechang