2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to wonder if their is going to be any relativity in this. Should a large entertainment area be forced to close because there is a small private school hundreds of meters away? If so, what sort of pressure is going to be applied to the school owners? Will schools be allowed to open in an area where much more business activity will be forced to cease trading?

With a government like the present , and their average IQ of 75, you'l never know the answer to your questions.

Yes I am not against this new law in principle at all BUT yes it should have been announced now for a more reasonable enforcement in say 6 months time to be fair to the businesses that are affected unfairly by this immediate enforcement. Surely though we have laws that forbid the sale of alcohol to those under legal alcohol drinking age (18 I believe here)and also laws to arrest those drunk and disorderly in public areas, so better would have been to strongly enforce those existing laws particularity in these areas close to educational establishments, rather than this strange within 300 Metre radius rule.

These laws that control freedoms are not what is actually needed but instead a strong enforcement of solid existing laws that protect the freedom of others. That IMHO is what is truly and sensibly needed. The less unnecessary controls and the more the firm enforcement of sensible socially acceptable laws the better it will surely be for all surely.

This sort of law of control should work both ways too of course to be fair, so you have to also say no new schools or colleges should be allowed to be built within 300 Metres of businesses that are already in existence that are licenced to sell alcohol, or at least not without suitable mutually agreed compensation paid out to such licensed premises to move elsewhere.

I strongly believe in fairness

So is there any compensation being paid? I don't see how a bar that cost a heap of cash to build can just be sent broke like that.

Depends really. If it has always been illegal to build with 300 meters of a school/education centre then they built the bars contrary to the law and are now being punished.

Now if this required distance is a new thing, well that's another matter.

Let me share my pointless/worthless opinion.

This is just completely nuts.

It does not take Stephen Hawking to work out the damage that this is going to cause many livelihoods, not to mention tourism.

There are practically hundreds of schools across Bangkok - both Thai, Chinese and International also.

I EXPECT that there are those establishments which are exempt from the new laws, but who wants to go and sit in a hotel bar and drink, if the drinks are 300THB each and the entertainment dull?

Take into consideration for example, the THOUSANDS of industrial workers building condos etc across the cities, who but their booze from 7/11 after their work day - or even from a little "ma & pa" shop.

Just because there's a little Kindergarten or primary school around the corner - does this mean these guys can't buy alcohol??

Prohibition has been proven countless times to JUST NOT WORK.

Here's a map of international schools in Bangkok.

You can increase this 1 thousand fold if you were to include all Thai schools and any other educational establishment.

You might as well ban alcohol completely.

This is not bringing happiness back to the people, it's going to cause resentment, frustration and ultimately, more illegal action.

I'm all for the powers that be tackling these serious issues of under-age folly, such as alcohol consumption and sexual activity, but surely penalising the bars or retail outlets that are serving to under-age drinkers would be far more realistic - rather than implementing a blanket ban?

Tourism and night-life will be hugely affected.

Why not place the restriction between certain times of day?

Would that not make more sense?

I mean - at the moment, it's illegal to buy booze between 2pm and 5pm - is this not for the same reasons??

If kids want booze or drugs, they will find it - a ban like this will not stop them - it will just cause more and more problems, and ultimately embarrassment when it's proven not to work.

post-200998-0-61503700-1437898722_thumb.

Edited by eeworldwide

So rather than shut down established businesses why not do some real work and enforce the drinking laws regarding age? If a person can't drink until they're 18 or whatever age it is in Thailand - then enforce that law. It's like banning motorbike sales because people don't wear crash helmets. Can't enforce a law? Let's dream up a new one then! If the bar serves under-age people then warn them, do it again, then close them down.

As a matter of interest, does this mean Tesco or 7-11 within 300 metres cannot sell alcohol now?

Edited by Alwyn

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

That planet you live in on your lonesome Jamie, what's it like?

Do you have even the slightest grasp how much damage this will do to the already struggling tourist industry (swarms of Chinese tourists do not make up for the damage to Thailand from the loss of high end tourists) and an imploding economy. I guess not.

The transfer of bad officers to "inactive posts" is widely regarded as a national joke. It's rewarding crooks - then, you seem to be an uncritical flagwaver for any nefarious and dodgy behaviour as long as it's actioned by the junta.

I prefer to attack and discredit the post and not the poster.

While the response may have some merit, it looses momentum by it's structure and personal attack.

"Tis' an art to dissect the position of another without disturbing their thought".

I guess that by now students have worked out that they can buy alcohol 301 metres from their place of learning.

Not to mention that most students ride scooters. Never seen a single student walking to school, more than 50 meters. That means, in a straight line, after rush hours....a one or two minute ride to the pub....even at 300 to 500 meters.

They now have more drunk scooter riders, as they must drive to get a beer. None of them are going to stop drinking

So rather than shut down established businesses why not do some real work and enforce the drinking laws regarding age? If a person can't drink until they're 18 or whatever age it is in Thailand - then enforce that law. It's like banning motorbike sales because people don't wear crash helmets. Can't enforce a law? Let's dream up a new one then! If the bar serves under-age people then warn them, do it again, then close them down.

As a matter of interest, does this mean Tesco or 7-11 within 300 metres cannot sell alcohol now?

C'mon, you really think Thailand cares about responsible service of alcohol? No way.

They don't care about age, and they'll serve anyone till they can't walk.

So its a pick and choose law?......Just two bars out of thousands?.......Really , what effect is this on Soi Cowboy? perhaps just a boatload of baht changing hands.....

Edited by NickJ

Perhaps this most ill thought out piece of legislation will last a week before being clarified.

DISAGREE

This so-called "law" is not the result of legislation but the result of the Junta invoking Article 44 by issuing a directive. According to the Junta's hand-created Interim Charter, any directive the NCPO (aka Junta) issues is deemed a law and considered constitutional.

An advantage of Article 44 is that declared violators do not have the right to due process of law. This is particularly harsh as people lose business income without reparation.

NCPO directives tend to be vague and broad that further allows the police to make arbitrary interpretations to fit any circumstance with the force of law so long as the NCPO does not object.

Law enforcement relying on NCPO directives are about as far removed from democracy as a government can get.

First of all, if that law will be enforced nationwide, how many people will lose their job? Estimate + 1.000.000

So, why don't strikt enforce the existing laws.

1. No sale on alcohol under age 20.

2. No sale of smokes under age of ....

3. No driving kids on motorbikes.

Just enforce the existing law. Before somebody get to upset an mister P. mind lose his life.

More absurdity on the part of the Thai government, not just this government but all of them, just like the alcohol purchasing laws, i.e. the 11-2 and 5-12 nonsense. One quick way to make yourself unpopular is to start telling imposing your morality on others; it is almost as though university students are being treated like children who need to be protected and have no rational ability to do so themselves!

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

Like like Hua Hin restaurants or Phuket taxi mafia where the publicity stunts lasted two weeks and it's back to business as usual?

Surely at this point you are just trolling..... I live on Thonglor there is two international schools and smaller Thai schools. So they are going to close seenspace, wine republic, muse, funky villa? How about the all the japanese restaurants? Or is it one law for some and another for others (the definition of injustice)

This law is badly thought out and utterly ridiculous. All it will achieve is empower even more (as if it was needed) brown and green uniforms.

Edited by firestar

IMHO, this law should be taken off the books or, if not, then at least clarified. If "vicinity" means 300 meters, then that's what the law should be amended to say. Otherwise it's discretionary from bar to bar and place to place -- kind of like an open invitation to bar owners to use coffee money to tip the discretion in their favor. As this law is written, nobody serving drinks with a school anywhere nearby will know whether they are violating it or not.

Existing businesses also should be grandfathered, or else given 5-10 years to relocate. Otherwise it's just confiscation from people who previously were operating legal businesses. And, as others have said, losing your license to sell liquor as a penalty doesn't seem to make much sense after the police have already shut you down.

I am speechless on every article i read about the actions of this Junta. Who on earth are they trying to impress? All i can say is that is just goes to show how much these people have been raised under a woolen blanket. Absolutely NO idea whatsoever. Can you imagine the CEO,s of large business reading this. Would it not just scare the living daylights out of them if they had money invested here. Basically what we are reading here is a blatant attack on two innocent businesses for absolutely no lawful reason whatsoever. What about the staff! What about the years of investment put in by the owners. All taken away in a blink of an eye because of some clueless governance. It has been April 1st since the day they seized power.

I also find it ironic that RCA is exempt from this ban, considering that place is one of the biggest magnets for schoolkids to drink in the whole of Bangkok!!!!!!

Correct. They will also for sure not close venues on Thonglor or Ratchada, it will be one law for some another one for others. Exactly what breeds corruptions and a sense of injustice.

Thai Alcoholic Beverage Business Association president Thanakorn Kuptajit recently told the Bangkok Post 125,000 people could lose their jobs as a result of this ban.

OK - but that's not important is it?

But those who support tighter restrictions on alcohol think the long-term benefits of the ban outweigh its immediate costs.

Really?? Are you so sure that your plan will succeed??

As it stands, the sale of alcohol is only allowed from 11am to 2pm, and 5pm to midnight. But the number of new drinkers in the kingdom grows by an average of 250,000 every year, says Mr Theera Watcharapranee, manager of alcohol control advocate Stop Drink Network.

STOP DRINK NETWORK> Sounds great. Could you define the term "new drinkers?!"

The network's own survey of 15 universities in Bangkok found that the number of establishments selling alcohol within a 500m radius has increased by an average of 72 per cent over the past five years.

And??

According to a World Health Organisation report published last year, 70.3 per cent of Thais abstain from alcohol. Yet the average amount of pure alcohol drunk by each Thai aged 15 and older stands at 7.1 litres between 2008 and 2010. This is double the average figure for South-east Asia.

I'm sorry - those stats leave me really confused.....

Drink driving is endemic, contributing to carnage on the roads during major holiday periods.

Over the five days of Songkran, or the Thai new year, in April, 364 people died in road accidents.

Yup - this is an issue - but there are such things as a police force and is it not really their job to police the roads during those periods?

More absurdity on the part of the Thai government, not just this government but all of them, just like the alcohol purchasing laws, i.e. the 11-2 and 5-12 nonsense. One quick way to make yourself unpopular is to start telling imposing your morality on others; it is almost as though university students are being treated like children who need to be protected and have no rational ability to do so themselves!

99% do act like kids and have little rational ability, just like 99% of the rest of the population, especially the idiots running this place.

blink.png

This law makes no sense whatever way you view it.

It achieves exactly nothing re stopping under age drinking.

It's alienating people who quite legally opened a business and suddenly all they have worked for and paid out money to establish is GONE!

Along with many Thai jobs!

Ill thought out...

There no doubt be some well established responsible businesses that do not allow under age drinking hit hard by this...

Why not enforce the law better with unannounced inspections by the RTP.

1st offence 1 week closure

2nd offence 1 month closure

3rd offence loss of licence

Prohibit issue of licences for new businesses or change of licencee/owner where licence has been revoked with 300 meters of school or uni.