Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-26/microsoft-windows-10-reaches-75-million-devices-in-first-month

Microsoft Windows 10 Reaches 75 Million Devices in First Month

August 26, 2015 8:54 PM ICT

Microsoft Corp.s Windows 10 has reached more than 75 million devices in almost a month since the operating system was released, according to Yusuf Mehdi, the companys marketing chief for Windows and devices.

More than 90,000 personal-computer and tablet models have upgraded to the new OS, which is running in 192 countries, Mehdi said in a series of tweets Wednesday. The app store for Windows 10 has had six times more downloads per device than Windows 8, he wrote.

The Redmond, Washington-based company has promised shareholders that Windows 10 would reach 1 billion users within three years, which would be its fastest adoption rate ever. Within the first 24 hours of the July 29 release, 14 million devices were running the operating system, Mehdi wrote in a blog post last month.

Mehdi also tweeted that Cortana, Microsofts voice-controlled personal assistant, has told more than 500,000 jokes since the release. Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella has said that Cortana is perhaps the biggest innovation in productivity weve done.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a chance to spend more time with Win 10....all apps working....haven't found any issues yet. I notice a few folks talk about their antivirus software being disabled....I run Norton 360 and Win 10 didn't disable it....it's working as normal. I have noticed all my programs open faster and the computer boots faster. Now need to get use to Win 10 as I was using Win 8.1 on this computer and Win 7 on two others....the other two laptops are eight year old Toshiba models which the Get Win 10 app says is not compatible because of their video chips....that's OK, Win 7 is still getting support to early 2020....those two laptops will go to their graves with Win 7 installed.

I've had the opposite experience, Pib.

Laptop now takes longer to start up, since installing Windows 10 and my processor is working overtime, i.e., applications are running slower.

After installation of Windows 10, all of my Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 applications were deactivated. As the software was purchased and installed in Singapore I was unable to reactivate online from Thailand. The only option was to call a Singapore telephone number (+65) and reactivate Microsoft Office via telephone. No great drama but not very convenient.

To now, Outlook 2013 is not functioning properly. I can receive mail but always receive an error when attempting to send mail.

Not seeking assistance, or sympathy. Just a message to say that not everything is rosy for all.

Only 90.000 PC's but 14 million devices running it. Must be a lot of phones then ?

Only guessing here, but PC (desktop ?) probably doesnt include, netbook, notebook (surface pro), Laptops etc.

The article says 90.000 "models" as in different models of devices. That strikes me as a rather high number and a bit meaningless anyway.

I've had a chance to spend more time with Win 10....all apps working....haven't found any issues yet. I notice a few folks talk about their antivirus software being disabled....I run Norton 360 and Win 10 didn't disable it....it's working as normal. I have noticed all my programs open faster and the computer boots faster. Now need to get use to Win 10 as I was using Win 8.1 on this computer and Win 7 on two others....the other two laptops are eight year old Toshiba models which the Get Win 10 app says is not compatible because of their video chips....that's OK, Win 7 is still getting support to early 2020....those two laptops will go to their graves with Win 7 installed.

I've had the opposite experience, Pib.

Laptop now takes longer to start up, since installing Windows 10 and my processor is working overtime, i.e., applications are running slower.

After installation of Windows 10, all of my Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 applications were deactivated. As the software was purchased and installed in Singapore I was unable to reactivate online from Thailand. The only option was to call a Singapore telephone number (+65) and reactivate Microsoft Office via telephone. No great drama but not very convenient.

To now, Outlook 2013 is not functioning properly. I can receive mail but always receive an error when attempting to send mail.

Not seeking assistance, or sympathy. Just a message to say that not everything is rosy for all.

I believe Pib himself posted the solution to your issue of Outlook failing to send in another thread.

Pretty sure it was open an Admin command prompt and enter sfc /scannow

Only 90.000 PC's but 14 million devices running it. Must be a lot of phones then ?

Either way, there's a terrific number of guinea pigs. I'm sure Windows 10 will be bug free in no time with that many "testers".

Absolutely!

Wait and see.

I'm confident in 6-month time W10 will be much better thumbsup.gif

Either way, there's a terrific number of guinea pigs. I'm sure Windows 10 will be bug free in no time with that many "testers".

Only guessing here, but PC (desktop ?) probably doesnt include, netbook, notebook (surface pro), Laptops etc.

The article says 90.000 "models" as in different models of devices. That strikes me as a rather high number and a bit meaningless anyway.

I expect this high number of models represents the "snapshot/fingerprint" that is taken of your computer by the Microsoft servers when you install Windows 10 and any minor difference in basic model numbers is being considered by MS as a different model number.

I think we all know a ton of different "model" numbers exist and then there can be quite a few variations in the same model like one having more RAM, different hard drive, different video chip, etc., than another one which has the exact same "basic" model number....and the MS servers pickup on that difference when they take a fingerprint of your computer.

While two twins may look exactly alike their fingerprints will be different.

Edited by Pib

This may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread or others but it's probably worth another mention. Unless you want Windows 10 stealing part of your upload bandwidth by sending Win 10 updates to other computers on the internet, you need to turn off that feature.

When Win 10 installs the default is set for your computer to send/relay Windows updates to other computers on the internet and/or "your" local network. No problem with that occurring on "my" local home network, but no thanks to feeding/relaying updates to the internet....kinda acting like a torrent seedbox.

See this webpage for more info and, if desired, how to change/turn off the settings...it's easy: Link

This may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread or others but it's probably worth another mention. Unless you want Windows 10 stealing part of your upload bandwidth by sending Win 10 updates to other computers on the internet, you need to turn off that feature.

When Win 10 installs the default is set for your computer to send/relay Windows updates to other computers on the internet and/or "your" local network. No problem with that occurring on "my" local home network, but no thanks to feeding/relaying updates to the internet....kinda acting like a torrent seedbox.

See this webpage for more info and, if desired, how to change/turn off the settings...it's easy: Link

Thanks.. that was sneaky from Microsoft, that would have meant my upload-speed was shared and its not that great here anyway.

Thanks.. that was sneaky from Microsoft, that would have meant my upload-speed was shared and its not that great here anyway.

Yes, upload speed is very expensive here. I'll be switching it off too.

I must say, one thing they got right in Windows 10 is Cortana's voice. It's a pleasure to listen to - ask her some questions.biggrin.png

"There are a lot of voices in my head, and Jen Taylor is one of them"

Edited by tropo

The link does not explain how to get to the setting as it is buried quite deep (of course).

Here's the path to the settings:

Start button > left click > settings (above power button) > Update & Security > scroll down > advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered > turn off tab

If you've set up Cortana, and trained her to understand you, you can ask her to open settings for you: "Hey Cortana, Open settings"

If you've set up Cortana, and trained her to understand you, you can ask her to open settings for you: "Hey Cortana, Open settings"

Just to let you know, Cortana isn't available in Thailand. The only reason it may work for you, is you have your region set to a location where Cortana is available. If you set the region to Thailand or you allow Windows 10 to find your location, Cortana will disappear and there will be a search icon in her place. whistling.gif

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/why-isnt-cortana-in-my-region-or-language

http://www.howtogeek.com/223259/how-to-enable-cortana-anywhere-in-the-world-on-windows-10/

Edited by BB1950

Just to let you know, Cortana isn't available in Thailand. The only reason it may work for you, is you have your region set to a location where Cortana is available. If you set the region to Thailand or you allow Windows 10 to find your location, Cortana will disappear and there will be a search icon in her place. whistling.gif

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/why-isnt-cortana-in-my-region-or-language

http://www.howtogeek.com/223259/how-to-enable-cortana-anywhere-in-the-world-on-windows-10/

OK, didn't know it was region specific, mine is set to United States, my time zone is Bangkok. I don't want Thai script ruining my Windows experience.smile.png​.. and I enjoy speaking to Cortana, although sometimes she can't hear me.

If you choose UK or Australia, does she speak in those accents?... although I'm pretty satisfied with her US accent.

Edited by tropo

Yea, to get Cortana to work the planets need to be lined up "language" settings-wise. For me it don't work since I have the Win 10 Home English Intl (UK) version, using U.S. English for region/content, U.S. keyboard, Bangkok Time zone. Yeap, your language settings and other stuff need to be lined up for it to work....Jupiter and Saturn being in alignment helps also. No loss...I don't want to talk to my computer anyway....I'll just continue to talk to myself.

Edited by Pib

Yea, to get Cortana to work the planets need to be lined up "language" settings-wise. For me it don't work since I have the Win 10 Home English Intl (UK) version, using U.S. English for region/content, U.S. keyboard, Bangkok Time zone. Yeap, your language settings and other stuff need to be lined up for it to work....Jupiter and Saturn being in alignment helps also. No loss...I don't want to talk to my computer anyway....I'll just continue to talk to myself.

It should work:

Currently, Cortana is only available in the following countries/regions: China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, and United States. Cortana is available in these languages: Chinese (Simplified), English (U.K.), English (U.S.), French, Italian, German, and Spanish.

It should work:

Currently, Cortana is only available in the following countries/regions: China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, and United States. Cortana is available in these languages: Chinese (Simplified), English (U.K.), English (U.S.), French, Italian, German, and Spanish.

Yes, it does work if your "device/system, speech, and country/region settings" (all three) are lined up.

I have Win 10 Home Eng (Intl-UK) Single Language version of Win 10 which means the device/system language is UK English (my only choice under this English SL version), my speech is set to UK English (my only choice with this English SL version), but I have my country/region set to the U.S. for App and Content purposes (this can be set to various countries such as the UK).

When set this way with the UK and US mismatch, Cortana is not activated since there is a language/region mismatch...yes, still versions of English but still a mismatch for Cortana activation purposes. But if I set my country/region setting to UK to line up the three language/content planets then Cortana is activated.

Although not a player for Cortana I also have a U.S keyboard and Thai language layouts since I have a U.S./Thai keyboard in the laptop.

post-55970-0-78710900-1440759268_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

It should work:

Yes, it does work if your "device/system, speech, and country/region settings" (all three) are lined up.

I have Win 10 Home Eng (Intl-UK) Single Language version of Win 10 which means the device/system language is UK English (my only choice under this English SL version), my speech is set to UK English (my only choice with this English SL version), but I have my country/region set to the U.S. for App and Content purposes (this can be set to various countries such as the UK).

When set this way with the UK and US mismatch, Cortana is not activated since there is a language/region mismatch...yes, still versions of English but still a mismatch for Cortana activation purposes. But if I set my country/region setting to UK to line up the three language/content planets then Cortana is activated.

Although not a player for Cortana I also have a U.S keyboard and Thai language layouts since I have a U.S./Thai keyboard in the laptop.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

No one should have any trouble after your detailed explanation.

I'm curious, if Cortana is activated on your computer, does she have a British accent?

I'm curious, if Cortana is activated on your computer, does she have a British accent?

I can't say...haven't tried her out. I try not to talk to my computers...I'll cuss at them everyone once in a while but for sure I don't want them talking back to me (in any language or accent). tongue.png

Edited by Pib

I can't say...haven't tried her out. I try not to talk to my computers...I'll cuss at them everyone once in a while but for sure I don't want them talking back to me (in any language or accent). tongue.png

It takes some getting used to it as the instinct is always to type, but one day people will probably be ONLY talking to computers.

In the 1980's we didn't have cell phones or Internet. Look where we are now.

Cortana can quickly open computer settings, answer questions (for example - population of countries), and open Bing searches.

"Hey Cortana, how old are you"?

A: "Hard to tell, time works differently in here"

A: "My framework is new, but my wisdom is as old as the Internet"

A: "I've been around longer than "crowdsourcing" has been in the dictionary

A: "I'm a little bit older than when I started answering you, and I'm a little bit older now"

Edited by tropo

It takes some getting used to it as the instinct is always to type, but one day people will probably be ONLY talking to computers.

Also from the 1980s ...

scotty_trek4.jpg

"Hello, computer."

Just a wee bit ahead of his time.

Also from the 1980s ...

scotty_trek4.jpg

"Hello, computer."

Just a wee bit ahead of his time.

And in that movie Dr McCoy then told Scotty to stop talking to the computer and use the keyboard....me and McCoy are on the same wavelength.laugh.png

Regarding the issue of Rapid Mode not working under Win 10 for Samsung SSDs as discussed in earlier posts, I just took a look at the Samsung downloads website and they are now showing Magician 4.4 as the latest and only version of Magician to download. Magician 4.6 (previously the latest edition for many months now...and Ver 4.5 before that) is no longer listed on their download site.

I guess Samsung is implying to load Magician 4.4 to get Rapid Mode to work with Windows 10. Various posts in other bogs had talked about reverting to Version 4.4 to be able to turn Rapid Mode on again and then upgrading to Version 6 (which retained the On setting) had worked for them. I'll may give Ver 4.4 a try this weekend by replacing version 4.6 with 4.4....since it's now officially listed on the Samsung download site....I'll go back in time.

However, I'm a little surprised Samsung just didn't renumber 4.4 to 4.7 and post it to their download site as this would probably make more folks think it was a true update especially if they hadn't used version 4.4 which got replaced around 6-9 months ago with version 4.5 and then 4.6....I guess version 4.4 has risen from the grave to dance with Windows 10.

Samsung Download Site

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Also, it seems a little strange that based on Samsung's response to a customer they are working on a Magician update and tell the customer DO NOT use any previous edition of Magician gives me a little bit of concern in that the Samsung response says DO NOT use a previous edition such as version 4.4 but now version 4.4 is the only version listed for download from the Samsung website which implies it's the latest version to use...and they always just list the "latest" version.

On further thought I may wait for some more crossfeed/customer feedback on why Samsung just punted to return from version 4.6 to 4.4...or maybe I'll just call them.

But it's really strange based on the Samsung tech support email response to a customer saying Magician was being update and DO NOT use any previous version of Magician.

I got an answer from Samsung on this issue dated Aug, 23 2015 and notice what they say!

Thanks,

TH ;-)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you.

We do not have an official release date for the Magician and Data Migration to fully work with Windows 10. We are estimating the update will be sometime within a month. It is extremely important that you do not use any older versions of our software with Windows 10.

Thank you again for contacting Samsung Support and have a good day.

DP
Late breaking Edit: just noticed above Samsung download weblink does not include the 850 SSD for use with Version 4.4. But when I googled Samsung Magician Version 4.6 to find a download of it in case I want to reload it after trying Version 4.4, I found another Samsung download link (below) that listed version 4.6 as the latest version and it also included the 850. So, maybe version 4.4 will not work for the 850 SSD but will for the 840 SSD. I'm confused.
Edited by Pib

Anyone know the answer to this question. In all the Windows 10 transition stuff I've read, I haven't seen this addressed:

You've got a valid/legal license key for Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 and the original install DVD's for that software that you've been running on a PC. Then, you upgrade that PC to Windows 10 via MS's one year free upgrade program.

What then happens to the status of your original Windows 7/8/8.1 software and related license key? Does it somehow stick to same PC that you've upgraded to Windows 10? Or, you'd be free to install the Win 7/8/8.1 software and license key on some other machine that doesn't already have it (like a Thai store purchased PC that only comes with something like FreeDOS)?