Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

The Register has many articles on Win 10 and here is one from Trevor Pott who (for those that have never heard of him) can have a somewhat individual take on things but is usually at least a little amusing to read in the process - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_sysadmin_says_average_joe_will_be_happy/

It may make you rethink your decision either way.......

Starts with this -

Sysadmin blog It's Windows 10 day. That means it's time for a completely biased and in-no-way-even-remotely-objective assessment of Windows 10.

The internet is filled with people trying to act all objective about Microsoft and Windows 10, and explain what it all "means." I'm forgoing all of that this round. This review is not from the standpoint of an administrator, or even much of a nerd.

This is the review of one Windows 10 user, evaluating it as the primary work operating system. It is the OS I have used for months, but is it the OS that I will trust my business to, or even want to use in my off hours? Get out the party hats and popcorn and let's find out!

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from Windows XP (that's been on my system forever, to Windows 8.1 on a new 1 TB hard disk drive, to Widows 10 in less than one week. I never used Vista, Win 7 or 8 so I cannot compare. Win 10 loaded effortlessly and without any hicups in about one and a half hours. Even imported Firefox with all my tabs and passwords so nothing to reset. Got everything I need at my finger tips and so much more. Just love Win 10 to bits. I for one am a very happy camper. smile.pngclap2.gif Well done Microsoft.

If you purchase a PC in Thailand, how can you detect whether installed programs are legit - no copy?

It is assumed that the CD of the program is not attached to the PC.

How can MS do same?

If the friendly laptop seller installs all the expensive software for free, you can be fairly confident that its not genuine licenced edition

Saying that, mine was/is perfect windows 7 ultimate, office 2013,and photoshop etc all worked and updated via automatic update and are still working on Windows 10 now

I don't think they will be able to disable it without wreaking havoc across the world's computers so the countries famous for using free software (Asia etc) will probably be ignored by m$

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

And you will be stopped quickly when you have a Win7 key from a "preactivated" version (manipulation in the BIOS for OEMs).

Key will not be accepted ("something wrong...").

I'm curious when the special price Win10 licenses will surface at Thai shops.

As it turns out that isn't the case. The Windows 10 installer appears to ignore the product key altogether. As long Windows 7 is activated the upgrade will go ahead and Windows 10 will be activated too. In fact even if Win 7 is installed with no product key at all it can still be upgraded and activated.

It looks to me like despite flip-flopping on the issue, MS have made the decision that it is in their interests to let even possibly non-genuine systems upgrade. Otherwise it wouldn't be so easy.

EDIT: I should note that I am only referring to the operating system. How the upgrade treats non-genuine applications as mentioned by keemapoot, I have no idea.

Edited by thedemon

I updated to win 10 today. Took several hours and appeared to be successful.

Upon reboot to the home screen I get ''internal power error'' and the pc constantly rebooted so I had to revert back to win 8.1.

Later I found on several forums it seems there is a problem with AMD graphics driver and some network drivers which need to be uninstalled to avoid this problem.

Will wait a few months before trying the update again when win 10 may be stable.

Started upgrade at 8 am now is 16.21 and guess what massive 27 % complete now i feel at home within thailand lol.

I got it downloaded in about 20min I think

And I only have the basic package 13/mb downstream

Must be everyone who is off work or school sapping it

Still did not receive a message from Microsoft that I can upgrade my Windows 7 => Windows 10 sad.png

You might not get it pushed to you for weeks or months unless you go to the ms site and click the upgrade link

That's what I did yesterday because I assumed it will come automatically at midnight and I restarted a couple of times and clicked update windows and nothing

But log into ms and click the start upgrade and you get it straightaway

Upon reboot to the home screen I get ''internal power error'' and the pc constantly rebooted so I had to revert back to win 8.1.

Later I found on several forums it seems there is a problem with AMD graphics driver and some network drivers which need to be uninstalled to avoid this problem.

Will wait a few months before trying the update again when win 10 may be stable.

Are you talking Blue Screen of Death?

Are you on the very latest version of your PCs BIOS and other hardware updates?

Did you update from Win 7 or Win 8?

Edited by Chicog

I got my Outlook issue fixed...that is, mail would not leave the Outlook outbox. I started a chat session with the MS Answer Desk this afternoon. Funny, the rep handling me was also handing another customer at the same time who had the identical problem....Outlook having a Send issue right after upgrading to Win 10....he even admitted the Outlook "mail gets stuck in the outbox" seemed to be an "emerging problem" with Win 10 upgrade although this problem has been around forever even with earlier MS operating systems...just an Outlook thing.

Anyway, the rep took control of my computer, ran the "sfc /scannow" commard (a system file checker in Windows), did a clean boot by turning off unneeded services with the msconfig command, then turned all the services back on again and Outlook was now sending email again. The sfc /scannow command did find and repair some corrupted files...took about 10 minutes to run. Yeap, the online chat session with the MS Answer desk worked out well.

I played with my computer a lot more today...playing with my programs...checking to ensure the printer and scanner still worked...I can't find anything that is not working, no glitches, etc. Heck I even got some old programs like HD Hack (a disk benchmarking program) that will only run in XP Compatibility mode and the programs run under Win 10 just like under Win 8.1 by setting them to XP compatibility mode....actually I did not have to reset the compatibility mode for these programs as all that info transferred over in the upgrade to Win 10. Also did an image backup and created a System Repair CD. The only issue I found after doing the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 was the Outlook sending issue which is now fixed.

I'm probably going to jinx myself and Win 10 will melt my computer shortly after posting this, but I'm declaring my computer 100% operational ready under Win 10. Yeap, even taking in account the MS chat session, this is the easiest and fastest operating system upgrade I'm done over the years such as XP to Vista (a horror story), Vista to Win 7, and Win 7 to Win 8.

I'm probably going to jinx myself and Win 10 will melt my computer shortly after posting this, but I'm declaring my computer 100% operational ready under Win 10. Yeap, even taking in account the MS chat session, this is the easiest and fastest operating system upgrade I'm done over the years such as XP to Vista (a horror story), Vista to Win 7, and Win 7 to Win 8.

Regarding the sun shining and everything being right with the world.... Correct me if I'm wrong, Pib... But you've successfully upgraded 1 of your PCs with Win 10.

But if memory services, you also have one or two others also running Windows 7 that you're not able to update due to video driver incompatibilities -- at least for now -- with Windows 10???

Are you talking Blue Screen of Death? - No its not that, the pc was booting to the win10 home screen and then after about 2 secs a message would appear ''internal power supply error'' and it would reboot itself over and over again. I see on the web this problem currently with HP and Dell notebooks and from what I read in my case, it is related to amd drivers for the R7-M270 graphics card installed in those notebooks.

Are you on the very latest version of your PCs BIOS and other hardware updates? Yes all are/were up to date.

Did you update from Win 7 or Win 8? My PC is about 6 months old and came from Dell with windows 8.1 preinstalled, I received the microsoft update notification a few weeks ago and then today upgraded to win10 from that.

Edited by userabcd

Here's a good article to read before you run to upgrade to Windows 10. Basically, it advises you to wait until June/July next year to let all the bugs get worked out.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

So everyone is basically troubleshooting for free.

I remember the very first time Micro$oft introduced NT 4.0. I had a copy of their trial OS, it was THE BEST. Graphics were exceptionally crisp, it ran all my software without a hitch, networking was a breeze. Gates' crew has been "fixing" it ever since, and it sounds like this one will just be another Frankenstein.

Regarding the sun shining and everything being right with the world.... Correct me if I'm wrong, Pib... But you've successfully upgraded 1 of your PCs with Win 10.

But if memory services, you also have one or two others also running Windows 7 that you're not able to update due to video driver incompatibilities -- at least for now -- with Windows 10???

Correct...I have 3 laptops...a 18 month old Lenovo that I upgraded to Win 10....and I have two eight year old Toshiba laptops. The Get Win 10 app says both of those Toshiba laptops are not compatible because of the video chip not being compatible. The chips are by ATI...a X1400 chip a Express chip. From googling a lot of folks with older computers are in the same boat. I do have the latest drivers video drivers loaded for Toshibas but the drivers are still about 5 years old...Vista drivers were the last drivers developed for these particular chips but the drivers worked fine on Win 7 which the computers are running. From googling also saw where many folks never could get the drivers for these chips to work for Win 8.1 also....seems Win 7 was their limit. Confirmed they are the latest drivers....but even tried some very recent drivers off the ATI/AMD website just to see if they might install...they wouldn't...in fact they gave one computer the Blue Screen of Death and I had to reload an image I had made.

Yeap, these two eight year old Toshiba laptops will go to their grave with Win 7 which is still supported till early 2020.

Pib

Having started this informative thread, what is the summary of your experience to date?

A BIG winner?

Crawled across the finish line?

I am changing to Apple?

An abacus?

Suicide?

Biggest +++?

Biggest ---?

You will be graded on this - no trial runs. You have 20mins & your time starts NOW! GO!

Pib

Having started this informative thread, what is the summary of your experience to date?

A BIG winner?

Crawled across the finish line?

I am changing to Apple?

An abacus?

Suicide?

Biggest +++?

Biggest ---?

You will be graded on this - no trial runs. You have 20mins & your time starts NOW! GO!

I think my opening post and the post just above where I described how my "one" issue with Win 10 (Outlook not sending) was fixed has summarized my Win 10 experience to date....and like I said in my other posts this is the easiest and fastest operating system upgrade I've ever done. As mentioned in my other posts, my computer boots just a few seconds faster than it did under Win 8.1, programs open faster, my printer works, my scanner works, my Wifi works, my external hard drives works, my home NAS works...I have not experienced any problem or glitch other than the Outlook issue that has been resolved.

A definite winner...and if Microsoft is telling the truth in that Win 10 will be it's last major release of an operating system and it will just continue to be automatically upgraded in same steps, then I have the latest and "last" Windows OS....don't have to worry about legacy Win 8.1 and Win 7 support nor worry about my next Windows OS major upgrade.

Like I said in my earlier posts, my computer boots a little faster and programs open faster than with Win 8.1 My computer was already fast under Win 8.1 with it being a i7 quad core CPU machine with SSD and 8GB of RAM. The SSD was probably a key factor in the upgrade occurring so fast since a SSD is so much faster than a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), especially in reading/writing small files....and I expect the with the upgrade a ton of new Win 10 small files replaced my Win 8.1 small files. With the upgrade going so fast (only took 24 minutes for me) it was real easy for me to notice the speed increase during boot and program opening as Win 8.1 speed was still very fresh in my mind...like only 24 minutes ago.

Now I think you recently got your computer from some other posts...a Lenovo laptop if I remember right, so instead of loading that machine up with all your software on the Win 7/Win 8.1 you currently have on it, you might want to consider upgrading to Win 10 now before you continue getting use to your machine with Win 7/Win 8.1 on it.

But be sure to first load all the updated drivers from the Lenovo website for your Lenovo model...those updated drivers are meant to make a faster or more stable machine....and it should help ensure a easy upgrade to Win 19---however, but ,your results may vary...over the years I've had my bad experiences in upgrading to a new operating system (upgrading form XP to Vista was a horror story, upgrading from Vista to Win 7 wasn't bad, and when going to Win 8.1 I just did a clean install instead of an upgrade from Win 7 so that went smooth).

Good luck.

well...

say goodbye to your old software.....

and let us know how buggy it gets.

I am keeping a perfectly good copy of windows 7...for now.

Losing old software is my concern too. I have an old Photoshop (CS3) version and do not want to lose it. I have not seen a definitive list of which versions of any particular application will or will not work, so I don't see the point in being an early adopter of Windows 10. Let a few hundred million guinea pigs struggle with it for now. We will be able to make more educated choices in a few months.

my concern too!

i have over 10 years of my work in my laptop (yes backed up externally already, but still a pain in the ass to restore)

also have cs4 running well.. don't want to 'mess up' any of my apps..

will hang around awhile before updating... in the mean time going to burn some DVDs of all the video/photo archives...

can never quite trust external HDD to not break down and die on you when you need it the most!

Got another pleasant surprise from Win 10 this morning in the Image Backup being much, much faster under Win 10 compared to Win 8.1/7. Last night after getting my new Win 10 upgrade to a no known issues/problems state I did my first Image Backup/Create System Image. The menus are basically identical to Win 8.1 and this first image backup took approx 30 minutes just like it did under Win 8.1.

But this morning I decided to just do another image backup...figure it would take the approx 30 minutes like it did last night and like it always took under Win 8.1. However, a pleasant surprise in that it completed the image backup in approx 3 minutes. And I'm not talking a File History backup...I'm talking a complete Create System Image backup. The I immediately ran another image backup and it only took 1 minute.

I googled a little so see if I could find something talking about how maybe the image backup function in Win 10 had been changed/update/improved like maybe using a Differential/Sequential backup approach which would explain the big speed increase after the first backup in comparison to a Full backup.

I don't see any setting in the Image backup menu which might allow a Full or Differential/Sequential backup...which ever one your would prefer. So, has anyone seen any info on how Win 10 image backup may have changed/been improved/made faster?

well...

say goodbye to your old software.....

and let us know how buggy it gets.

I am keeping a perfectly good copy of windows 7...for now.

Losing old software is my concern too. I have an old Photoshop (CS3) version and do not want to lose it. I have not seen a definitive list of which versions of any particular application will or will not work, so I don't see the point in being an early adopter of Windows 10. Let a few hundred million guinea pigs struggle with it for now. We will be able to make more educated choices in a few months.

my concern too!

i have over 10 years of my work in my laptop (yes backed up externally already, but still a pain in the ass to restore)

also have cs4 running well.. don't want to 'mess up' any of my apps..

will hang around awhile before updating... in the mean time going to burn some DVDs of all the video/photo archives...

can never quite trust external HDD to not break down and die on you when you need it the most!

I would get another 1 or 2 TB drive and copy everything important onto it and then unplug it and put it back into the box it came in

Big drives are pretty cheap thesedays and less hassle to search through than a cake of cds /dvds when you need a particular file

There's always the cloud storage option too which is getting better all the time and some offer a good whack of free storage with the option to purchase more

Got another pleasant surprise from Win 10 this morning in the Image Backup being much, much faster under Win 10 compared to Win 8.1/7. Last night after getting my new Win 10 upgrade to a no known issues/problems state I did my first Image Backup/Create System Image. The menus are basically identical to Win 8.1 and this first image backup took approx 30 minutes just like it did under Win 8.1.

But this morning I decided to just do another image backup...figure it would take the approx 30 minutes like it did last night and like it always took under Win 8.1. However, a pleasant surprise in that it completed the image backup in approx 3 minutes. And I'm not talking a File History backup...I'm talking a complete Create System Image backup. The I immediately ran another image backup and it only took 1 minute.

I googled a little so see if I could find something talking about how maybe the image backup function in Win 10 had been changed/update/improved like maybe using a Differential/Sequential backup approach which would explain the big speed increase after the first backup in comparison to a Full backup.

I don't see any setting in the Image backup menu which might allow a Full or Differential/Sequential backup...which ever one your would prefer. So, has anyone seen any info on how Win 10 image backup may have changed/been improved/made faster?

Pib, it almost has to be doing differentials to do that. Check the file sizes of your images. I don't care for differentials...

Cheers.

It looks the same as my Win 8.1 backups...same folders, subfolders, file names, etc. Before doing my first Win 10 image I changed the name of my last image I did under Win 8.1 so my first Win 10 image backup just wouldn't overwrite my Win 8.1 image in case I decided to revert to Win 8.1.

Now I will have to say that I can't remember immediately doing another image backup within a day or so...or even minutes...when I did an image backup when still running Win 8.1...I would do the image backkup and then tuck the backup drive away for a few weeks or a month. Maybe, just maybe, Win 8.1 would have acted the same if I did another image backup so close in time to a previous backup. I'll do another image back under Win 10 in a few days and see what happens.

Had no issues yet, thus far, but still do have many questions and things to try out.

Possible assumption of Microsoft: all programs are supposed to keep on running under a Windows 10 [ Pro or whatever version available right now ] operating system, thus programs already running well under previous Windows versions should at least keep on running on n everlasting Windows 10 version, certainly not stop performing their planned tasks, except maybe some programs of Microsoft ;-), such as for example Visual Studio 2005 ( VS2005).

An Audials seller ( internet radio program for personal usage in the northeast of Thailand ) adviced me to upgrade to their latest available version of Audials for approximately an additional cost of 20 euro, because their newest version was said to be able to install and be used successfully in combination with the upcoming Windows 10. In practice, the old version, Audials 10, also still keeps on running quite well after the Windows 10 update. So, I did not do a clean install yet, and did not reinstall any of my relative old programs. I just try to keep on using them. In my case the experience of sound improved quite a lot compared to Windows 7. That sounds good, no? The Audials comment was presumably nothing more than a statement made by the marketing department of Audials. Will not blame them for trying to make some money out of it.

Wonder what happens to an already installed Windows 7 based VS2005 environment after a Windows 10 upgrade ( not doing a clean install ). Will specifically that relative old already completely installed and upgraded VS2005 environment udner Windows 7 still keep on working under Windows 10 if it has already been successfully installed and configured properly in Windows 7? Have some software developers actually performed this test already?

if Microsoft is telling the truth in that Win 10 will be it's last major release of an operating system and it will just continue to be automatically upgraded in same steps, then I have the latest and "last" Windows OS....don't have to worry about legacy Win 8.1 and Win 7 support nor worry about my next Windows OS major upgrade.

Here's what CNET is reporting on that issue and the much rumored future Windows subscription issue:

Microsoft won't say yet whether there will be a Windows 11. Nor will Belfiore say if Microsoft will follow in the footsteps of Apple, which makes minor and sometimes major tweaks to its now free OS X software every year and slaps on a fun name.
For those worried Microsoft is turning Windows into a subscription service, fear not. The company says if you claim your free upgrade, which is available to the Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users running the software on 77 percent of all PCs in the world, you'll receive updates for the entirety of your device's lifespan.

I've got a 10-year-old Toshiba laptop in my bedroom that's running Windows 7 just fine right now... So let's see if I can get another 10 years out of it under Win 10, covering the "entirely of your device's lifespan."!!!

But for the future beyond the current generation of PC/Windows products, obviously, Microsoft is not saying at this point.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK