Workshop to improve the quality of foreign teachers in Thailand

webfact

How about improving the quality of Thai teachers?

That is happening. Recently Thai English teachers took the European English Standard test.There is different test resuls requirements, dependent on what grades the Thai teacher covers. Planned for August is a double weekend get together to help the 120 teachers who failed the test. The 120 was only from Prathom level teaching in the local area. Now multiply 120 by lets say 4 or five other gatherings in the province for the A2 certificate (Prathom) by the A1, B1 and B2 requirements. Then multiply this by all the provinces and you can start to see why Thai students struggle to learn English. Yes there is major problems with some foreigners teaching but its miniscule compared to the Thai English teachers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with @Inurhead

ESL teachers should be able to fluently speak a second language.

Only those that understand what it is like to

learn a second language can successfully teach it.

We get it. You can speak fluent Thai. This doesn't make you a good teacher.

Having qualifications and knowledge in the subject you're teaching does. Not being good at something you've not been asked to teach.

I agree with @Inurhead

ESL teachers should be able to fluently speak a second language.

Only those that understand what it is like to

learn a second language can successfully teach it.

I think Rkidlad might have misunderstood, Doremifasol means the mechanics of learning a second language (any second language) are valuable experiences with which to empathize as an ESL teacher. I agree.

But they are nothing more than that. Other skills come into play. One mistake many teachers make is to believe they know the only real way to teach.

As I suspected delusional administrators- can't even name the type of educational process correctly. Its not a workshop unless the participants actually share knowledge - its just a class.

I am at a loss to understand how correct standing and sitting and wai technique are going to improve the standard of education.

Its as I suspected - Missed opportunity for government (local or federal) to effect any real changes.

Does the way in which a teacher stands give little Somchai a better chance of learning to read English?

I think it would be fair to say that Thailand has exactly the education system it wants. Thinking that it will change shows a lack of understanding as to what it is supposed to achieve. Same applies to most public education back home.

Jesus wept.

The problem with Thai education is not foreign teachers, it's with Thai teachers and the educational 'Sir Humpreys' that drive their highly stupid and incompetent 3rd-world policies.

Edited by Red Queen

That is happening. Recently Thai English teachers took the European English Standard test.There is different test resuls requirements, dependent on what grades the Thai teacher covers. Planned for August is a double weekend get together to help the 120 teachers who failed the test. The 120 was only from Prathom level teaching in the local area. Now multiply 120 by lets say 4 or five other gatherings in the province for the A2 certificate (Prathom) by the A1, B1 and B2 requirements. Then multiply this by all the provinces and you can start to see why Thai students struggle to learn English. Yes there is major problems with some foreigners teaching but its miniscule compared to the Thai English teachers

An A2 is the level 8 of English taught at AUA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

A Basic user A1 Breakthrough or beginner
  • Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
  • Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
  • Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
A2 Way stage or elementary
  • Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
  • Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
  • Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

To gain Citizenship in the UK now you need B level.

it is a very basic level, A little less than my Thai is and there is no way I would be teaching the Thai Language to anyone.

Students should be taught to ask questions. Problem is it has to start at a very young age and it is not happening. When you have curious children, they learn easily. However curioisity among children is often frowned upon. So what we have here is an intractable problem.

There's an unwritten law by the MoE that students from grade one up to grade 12 are NOT allowed to ask their teachers any questions.

It would be great to have students who're really asking questions. Would a teacher not know the answer, he/she'd lose face.

In reality they do not lose face, they lose the battle to have students with critical thinking skills, without even realizing it.

The so called CEFR test had to be taken by all Thai English teachers nationwide. I've just prepared and conducted two weekend seminars for high school teachers with phenomenal scores such as A 0 (which doesn't even exist).......

In August will be three seminars for certain levels. There'll be 35 teachers who scored zero (A 0) level). 35 teachers who scored A 2, but need at least B 1. And 154 teachers who scored A 1. Their idea is to use material from the next higher level to "teach them."

The only problem night be that they haven't got experienced trainers, who're familiar with these seminars. A big joke is that one educational area office will use some agency teachers from a local high school.

None of them has ever prepared such a seminar, but it seems that they don't really care. The "usual pay" in form of 600 baht/hour can't be paid, because their budget wouldn't allow it. (Someone is pocketing your money)

One more reason might be that they found some agency teachers who're willing to do it for 1.5- 2 K/day. But how should they know what the "gong rate" is?

They'd promised me 600/hour, then tried to convince me to do seminars for 2 K/day (instead of 3,600), but I politely declined.

Pre and Posttests of trainees have to be send to OBEC, all of them will receive their fancy certificates, but almost nothing will change.

There're maybe five out of six teachers who're really keen to upgrade their English skills, similar to an ordinary classroom, where you might find four or five kids, who're really interested in learning English.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thailand is not a free speech Country, So how do they expect to teach anything thats true. The Thai children only get tought Thai indoctrination like racism , No sense of fair play, no Honesty . as in lies and deceit are part of the culture

From Ajarn.com. One of the 5 facets of the course:

"Thai manners, perhaps the most important if taught correctly, involves standing postures for formal and informal occasions, walking, sitting and how to rise from a seated position, how to Wai to individuals of different social strata, and encountering, receiving from and handing articles to higher-ranking individuals."

#6 correct way to pick your nose in public

"Thai manners, perhaps the most important if taught correctly, involves standing postures for formal and informal occasions, walking, sitting and how to rise from a seated position, how to Wai to individuals of different social strata, and encountering, receiving from and handing articles to higher-ranking individuals."

#6 correct way to pick your nose in public

but covering your mouth when using a toothpick.....facepalm.gif ..

Window dressing pure and simple.

As mentioned previously and other threads over the past decade, they have the Public Education system they want to control the masses

Now let's brush up on the 'ol Thainess and the correct way to wai and carry on regardless.

Education Hub.........I'd like to see that!

I think it would be fair to say that Thailand has exactly the education system it wants. Thinking that it will change shows a lack of understanding as to what it is supposed to achieve. Same applies to most public education back home.

Absolutely true. Keep 'em poor, keep 'em stupid. That way you keep 'em cheap.

See this kind of absolute nonsense needs to stop. My colleague was told he was being rude by leaving his sunglasses on during the assembly (or the daily indoctrination time as I call it) and it was a very bright day. He was told "it's rude in Thai culture" so took them off. Then we looked over and saw some of the Thai P.E. teachers all standing there with shades on whistling.gif

At my old job some government inspectors came to inspect the school for the queens award (it's all just for show, the school that hands over the biggest envelope will win). We were told during the special assembly that we all HAD to bow. I and a few other refused to do it. All this pomp and ceremony for what? It is all pointless and this hierarchical, a$$ kissing bullsh*t is what is keeping the educational system back.

in general thailand does not attract good/quality teachers; period. salary is low and they rank quite low academically. in addition little interest is shown to obtain quality teachers as does korea, japan, singapore, etc, etc.

even if they did find some quality teachers you wonder how long thed last given the very common student aptitude and society issues and ineffective teaching methods they are resistant to changing.

many excellent teachers do not speak a second language.

likely the foreign teacher applicant pool is either lower paid filipinos or westerners that want to/aleready living in thailand. some of them may be quite good at teaching with or without a degree but again their hands are tied by the feudal system.

With Singapore as the education hub of the region and internationally recognized as one of the best places in the world for education, I think Thailand becoming the hub for education is a pipe dream. Wishful thinking. Very improbable. But ... A good soundbite for Thais to hear.

Thai Instructor to foreign teachers:

"Some of you believe that, like in your own countries, it is permissible to fail a student. I am here to tell you that is blatantly wrong!

"Failing a student would cause severe loss of face. Not only to the student, but to their parents as well. This could lead to serious depression, suicide, and a raging temper which could result in mass murder. Therefore, for the sake of our country's health, and all important image, you are never allowed to fail a student. Ok,seminar over."

That should explain a lot.

You get what you pay for. Do people who pay $750 U.S a year for their child's English program really expect fluent English? If you Wat that pay up and enroll at an international school, $7,500 a year. If you want improved foreign teachers pay up.