Mistaken identities

tigerfish

what nationality do you get mistaken for or do they get it right first time ?

me, most of the time it starts with

an Aussie bah.gif

a German crying.gif

Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or Dutch

and god forbid, American huh.pngmad.gif

it must be a hair, eyes thing and when they do finally get it, it's " oh, so your British ? " facepalm.gif

Before or after you open up your pie hole?

Anyway, AFTER, I think most get the American accent.

BEFORE, I find it depends on the nationality of the person making the judgement.

Americans and Canadians usually can tell I'm American or Canadian really well. We have a walk.

Europeans seem to get I'm either European or North American.

Thais often guess German or British (safe bets) and never Russian and not blonde so not Scandinavian.

Middle Eastern people are the most interesting. Either Arab or a Jew but not Persian. Arabs often STARE at me ... it isn't so comfortable.

In Mexico, I remember often meeting Mexicans who were totally freaked out that I don't speak Spanish as I could pass for Mexican.

It was almost as if they thought I must be Mexican and had tragically lost my culture in Gringolandia. I found that charming.

That's one thing I really miss here compared to Latin America (or places like Italy and Spain). I can totally pass for a native until speaking! Lots of fun in that.

Another kind of fun thing that happens occasionally in Pattaya is meeting (always DRUNK) UK or Irish types who just start talking and the first thing out of their mouth is some kind of dissing Yanks, and then replying back in the thickest American accent I can exaggerate. Priceless!

an Aussie bah.gif

a German crying.gif

it must be a hair, eyes thing and when they do finally get it, it's " oh, so your British ? " facepalm.gif

So you're upset they give you 5 compliments - before you open your yap & then they can place you for sure????

I don't recall people mistaking my nationality on sight and definitely not after hearing me speak.

I must be stereotypically British.... (I don't know if its the bowler hat, or that I get violent drinking Stella, or that I say <deleted> in every sentence !)... whistling.gif

This reminds me of a Game my Thai friend and I play when out and its a bit of a 'slow night'...... "Guess their nationality there"

We pick someone (non Thai) out of the bar crowd and guess where they are from... We place bets on it !!!... i.e. downing a shot of Whiskey...

It usually ends up with one of us starting a conversation with the 'unknown nationality' to find out...

I usually get the fine, my friend has an uncanny ability to work out where people are from just by looking at them... (he's also an RTP Immigration Detective)....

an Aussie bah.gif

a German crying.gif

So you're upset they give you 5 compliments - before you open your yap & then they can place you for sure????

a few i don't mind, but the others give me a break and i didn't say anything about being upset, did i ?

and even after opening my mouth not yap ( queens English please, do try and keep up old boy ) rolleyes.gif they still can't place my accent.

wow some people do get a bit touchy round here and all over nothing.

read the forum title in future. Farang pub fun............................whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

an Aussie bah.gif

a German crying.gif

a few i don't mind, but the others give me a break and i didn't say anything about being upset, did i ?

and even after opening my mouth not yap ( queens English please, do try and keep up old boy ) rolleyes.gif they still can't place my accent.

wow some people do get a bit touchy round here and all over nothing.

read the forum title in future. Farang pub fun............................whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Could you speak a little louder - can't see where you're coming from.....

They always think I am German...must have something to do with my uniform and badges...

Same here. I really must stop strolling round Lower Suk dressed as a U boat captain shouting " Dive! Dive! " every time I see a Tessakit.

Thais have no clue beyond farang. Russians think I'm Russian on sight, but realize I'm not once I start speaking. Brits know I'm not a Brit, but can't seem to place my accent. And one Middle Eastern man asked if I was an Aussie.

Clearly, being a white female with blondish hair and green eyes in Pattaya is confusing. In reality, I'm an American that spent the vast majority of my life in Texas. To be fair, I was an Air Force brat until the age of 4 and learned to speak while I lived in New Jersey. Maybe the Jersey / Texas accent combo throws them off.

Or maybe American women living in Pattaya really are an anomaly. :)

Archived