The best Honda Improvement for 250 Baht.

menzies233

My CBR had about 7K KM when I bought it and it was running pretty well, and has remained the same for the past 5K.

Yesterday I was checking a few things out and decided to replace the air filter element - 250 Baht from my local Honda dealer. (genuine part).

The difference in performance was amazing, acceleration was way better, runs so much smoother.

It didn't appear to be that dirty, and where I live is not that dusty most of the year so I was surprised at just how much better the bike ran.

Honda advises replacement at 18K! - except in more dirty conditions. Looking at the change in performance and for the cost of 250 Baht, I will be replacing mine at maybe 8-10k from now on.

Just waiting to see if there is much difference in fuel consumption now.

Yes air filters clogs up quickly here.

Even on my scooters can I fell the difference when I get them changed at service, the scooter is faster, engine runs better.

The mechanics always said but mister; to early to change air filter and the filter looks fine.

Well on those paper filter elements, you can't really see if they are clogged or not.

I would say about 5-6k km and then change but depends of your area.

My CBR had about 7K KM when I bought it and it was running pretty well, and has remained the same for the past 5K.

Yesterday I was checking a few things out and decided to replace the air filter element - 250 Baht from my local Honda dealer. (genuine part).

The difference in performance was amazing, acceleration was way better, runs so much smoother.

It didn't appear to be that dirty, and where I live is not that dusty most of the year so I was surprised at just how much better the bike ran.

Honda advises replacement at 18K! - except in more dirty conditions. Looking at the change in performance and for the cost of 250 Baht, I will be replacing mine at maybe 8-10k from now on.

If it still looked clean, they will sell it to the next guy who needs one

Farang tink too mutch!

If it still looked clean, they will sell it to the next guy who needs one

Farang tink too mutch!

They don't do my servicing, I buy the parts and fit them myself.

I actually cut the old filter open and when you pull it apart it is quite dirty to look at, and if you try to blow through it it is almost as if it is blocked with very very fine particles, it may even be pollen and other airborne crud.

K&N Airfilter. Probably 1,500b or less.

Will never need to be replaced and will poo all over the stock one.

coffee1.gif

I use K&N for my oil filters, but have never seen the K&N for less than about 2400 Baht, so if I get 60K out of the bike changing filters every 10K then it is still about the same price, plus I KNOW it is clean and I don't have to mess around with oiling and cleaning the K&N.

I also am probably going to go to stock on the oil filter too as I have heard a few things about K&N filters made in China that let some rather larger junk through.

Honda seems pretty good for the money.

Anyone here from the UK that has had an oil filter and air filter from a UK Honda shop? Curious regarding the sort of prices you need to pay over there. (Cost of a basic service etc.? - I can remember back in the late '90's having a Ford Diesel company car and just for an oil and filter change it was well over 100 quid down near Reading)

Are bike services as expensive? I guess it is the labour costs that whack the bill up.

Cheers.

coffee1.gif

I use K&N for my oil filters, but have never seen the K&N for less than about 2400 Baht,

https://www.facebook.com/knairfilterthailand

Got one for a larger bike ,1,950b inc. EMS.

It sounded like you were interested in improving the performance, sorry that I misunderstood.

coffee1.gif

I use K&N for my oil filters, but have never seen the K&N for less than about 2400 Baht,

It sounded like you were interested in improving the performance, sorry that I misunderstood.

Not really sure where you are coming from, naturally I am interested in improving performance, but not at the cost of increased engine wear due to oversize particles going through K&N filters be it oil or air. All I am saying that given the experience I have had over the years, I think just sticking with stock is good enough.

Just take a look at the quality problems a lot of (good) manufacturers have had after outsourcing their products to Asia, they get 90% of what they had but the 10% junk destroys them their brand and reputation.

Maybe K&N are fine, but I heard a few complaints, they were another company to jump on the China Cheap Bandwagon, it is a personal choice, up to you, I am not knocking you for using them, I just do not see any benefit in using some of this after market stuff compared to the OEM, when it is already so cheap here.

That was why I asked about UK service costs, it makes a lot more sense to put a reusable K&N in the bike if you are paying through the nose in the UK for servicing, but here? 250 Baht, I'd rather put in the OEM part at twice the frequency than mess around with what really could be some imported copy piece of junk.

I buy my K&N filters from the UK, in the hope that they are genuine, but these days, who the hell knows? At least I have a bit of trust in a main Honda dealer supplying OEM spares, just take a look on E bay at the wide variety of pricing for some of these after market brands, you want to put your hand on your heart and swear these are all real? Not me, I would just be happy to stick with my own routine, Honda 4 stroke oil, blue label bottle change every 2K, filter every 4K, and as an earlier poster mentioned, I will probably renew the air filter between 6-9k too.

Honda specs seem a bit FRUGAL as if they are meant for poor people from Mumbai!

Seriously, 18K for an air filter and again are they for real? 24K to inspect the spark plug and 48K to replace????? When I used to run bikes back in the '70's the plugs were done after 12-15K, yeah, I know I am an old fart and we now have EFI, I will say no more!

Edited by menzies233

coffee1.gif

Not really sure where you are coming from, naturally I am interested in improving performance, but not at the cost of increased engine wear due to oversize particles going through K&N filters be it oil or air. All I am saying that given the experience I have had over the years, I think just sticking with stock is good enough.

Just take a look at the quality problems a lot of (good) manufacturers have had after outsourcing their products to Asia, they get 90% of what they had but the 10% junk destroys them their brand and reputation.

Maybe K&N are fine, but I heard a few complaints, they were another company to jump on the China Cheap Bandwagon, it is a personal choice, up to you, I am not knocking you for using them, I just do not see any benefit in using some of this after market stuff compared to the OEM, when it is already so cheap here.

That was why I asked about UK service costs, it makes a lot more sense to put a reusable K&N in the bike if you are paying through the nose in the UK for servicing, but here? 250 Baht, I'd rather put in the OEM part at twice the frequency than mess around with what really could be some imported copy piece of junk.

I buy my K&N filters from the UK, in the hope that they are genuine, but these days, who the hell knows? At least I have a bit of trust in a main Honda dealer supplying OEM spares, just take a look on E bay at the wide variety of pricing for some of these after market brands, you want to put your hand on your heart and swear these are all real? Not me, I would just be happy to stick with my own routine, Honda 4 stroke oil, blue label bottle change every 2K, filter every 4K, and as an earlier poster mentioned, I will probably renew the air filter between 6-9k too.

Honda specs seem a bit FRUGAL as if they are meant for poor people from Mumbai!

Seriously, 18K for an air filter and again are they for real? 24K to inspect the spark plug and 48K to replace????? When I used to run bikes back in the '70's the plugs were done after 12-15K, yeah, I know I am an old fart and we now have EFI, I will say no more!

Not to nitpick the details but basically everything has outsourced some or all of their manufacturing to China

This is true of every Samsung or apple gadget in our house, the parts fitted in our vehicles, to say k+n is Chinese rubbish would mean that basically everything we buy and use from big companies is rubbish...

What is more likely imo... Its the k+n brand has been widely counterfeited and the fakes are making their way into legit supply chains unfortunately

I think it maybe these causing the bad reports like someone says k+n from jobs motorbikes used to be great but now they're shit etc.....

Maybe even Joe doesn't know he's selling a fake batch from time to time

Most of the best expensive brands are all doing it because it's the only way to stay competitive in this weak economy where people search by price first etc..

I have a K&N airfilter for my CBR250 and it is without doubt the best bang for buck mod out there.

absolutely.

Could not sing it's praises loud enough.

Choosing stock over a performance airfilter when wanting a performance boost. There's some logic missing there.

The first thing I would do if getting a CBR250 again would be to rip out the stock Honda cr@p and get the K&N one in there. It's less than 2k baht f.f.s.

I have a K&N airfilter for my CBR250 and it is without doubt the best bang for buck mod out there.

absolutely.

Choosing stock over a performance airfilter when wanting a performance boost. There's some logic missing there.

The first thing I would do if getting a CBR250 again would be to rip out the stock Honda cr@p and get the K&N one in there. It's less than 2k baht f.f.s.

Did you order it online or in a Thai shop?

I wanted one but the brand seems to be getting hammered by copycats making fakes that let large chunks of debris get sucked into your engine....

If it's legit I'll pay whatever but I don't trust eBay or alibaba now because I know even the most trusted accounts are selling complete <deleted>

absolutely.

Did you order it online or in a Thai shop?

I got mine from Fast Corner.

They are one of three official K&N authorized dealers in BKK.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx

• 3 weeks later...