Minimum Working Age in Thailand is 18 ?

Thanks for the reply,

I am of the same opinion that the law says 15, not 18. I am having a hard time with this, but I don't want to back down because the kid needs to work.

Phil

My Thai niece worked for a time at KFC at their branch in Central Pattaya. She was 16/17 and worked part-time.

So it is certainly possible but, as others have stated, would be reduced hours in certain types of work.

I had the same problem with my 17 year old stepson. He is lazy & just wants to play computer games. His father did nothing for him financially so I told him to get a job by the time he is 18 or leave. It ended in a big argument but he is now working part time after school & his father is finally giving him some money towards his education. His Technical College has applied for him to go to a factory in Chonburri to do work experience & that is paid as well as accommodation. Hopefully he will get this & I do not need to deal with him again.

How are you and he at computers? Maybe you could help get him interested in programming, graphic design or some other computer skill that will benefit him later. Same could be said for auto repair, motorcycle repair, woodworking, etc. There are a lot of things he may be interested in and have a real aptitude for but just hasn't had anyone help him along the path.

It seems more like you're concerned with keeping his mind occupied in a constructive fashion more than needing help paying the bills.

Generally under 18s are only employed by a family member.

Yep, he seems to be running into this. It annoys me that the law is 15, but that does not mean jack because everybody thinks it is 18!

I was told this by my wife, when I suggested that the feckless youth that is her son, might look for work.

Tried the vocational college route but he lasted 2 weeks before they gave him his marching orders.

So it seems he will sit around playing on his phone for over two years before he is old enough for someone to employ him. Of course by that time he will be totally unemployable, if he isn't already.

^^^ THIS !!!! The kid spends 6 nights week hanging out with his looser buddies, smoking, drinking, doing drugs, etc... If he keep this up he will be useless or jailed by the time he reaches 18.

Previously I mentioned my ex-step son - he was doing the same, quit school at 16 (his mother blamed it on the teachers of course but she had left me by this time) started doing everything your step son is doing - I returned from a deployment and I found a few 'extra' items in his bedroom, guitars, drumset, amplifiers speakers etc etc -asked him where he got them, he blew me off, mumbled his friend gave them to him to keep, I took a look at them and they had the name of a Band on them - I called the number and found out they were stolen - I moved them out of my house and called the Police. He & two of his friends went to jail. Keep your eyes open my friend........think where the money is coming from for him to do all those things above..........its not cheap. I have no regrets dropping a dime on him.........it was the right thing to do.