How aggressive are the large black scorpions?

simon43

In my garden, there re quite a few of these scorpions, typically about 10cm long. They often make an appearance when it rains, heading for the dry of my conservatory area where I normally sit.

I don't kill them, but use a brush or something to persuade them to go outside.

But call me mad, but I want to know if they will have a tendency to sting if I pick them up?!

I always pick up the large millipedes, because I know that they cannot bite/sting me. (I am not talking about centipedes, which are aggressive and will give a painful bite). I also pick up snakes that I can identify as non-poisonous, or with jaws that are too small to harm me.

So, has anyone picked up one of these large black scorpions without injury?

post-174-0-58663800-1439385363_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick them up by the tail,taking care not to get stung,these black scorpions,the sting is about same as

a bee, its the ones with thin claws you have to be careful with ,they can be deadly.thanks for not killing

them,lots of people on ThaiVisa seem to want to kill anything that moves.

regards worgeordie

Agressive ? perhaps you mean defensive, I think they can actually be "tamed" as I have seen Thai folks handle them, but not holding them, just allowing them to walk on their arms and hands. As stated earlier, not something to be feared, they sure do look badass though, nature is awsome.

The poison sting in the smaller species of scorpion tend to be much more potent than the larger ones as pictured. I think this is because the large scorpion can grip its prey (such as a beetle) in it's claws and thus be able to sting it multiple times, whereas the smaller scorpion cannot hold its prey so well and need a more potent sting to immobilise it's lunch.

The theory is that if you pick it up by the tail close to the stinger it does not have the strength to lift it's body by it's tail muscles so will just hang there so you can drop it over the wall to the outside.

That's the theory, anyone out there can try and let me know. I use tongs and just drop them over the wall.

Ha! I just got stuck 2 nights ago by one of these. It's nothing compared to a bee sting. Didn't kill it but chased it away from the house. Dogs wouldn't get very close to eat even though they will kill any and all snakes.

The scorpion wasn't being aggressive, it was in a dark corner and nowhere for it to go when I apparently put my foot down right next to it.

Be aware of the white ones though or so I've been told.

Black scorpions are venomous...however their venom is not harmful to humans in the same

way that a bee sting is not harmful to humans unless you have an alergy to the bee sting.

When picking up a black scorpion grasp the "stinger" between the thumb & forefinger,

squeeze a bit but not too much to rupture it and pick the beasty up. Mind you their claws

will take nice chunks of your skin away from wherever your skin is attached if you piss off

said scorpon. How can you tell if you've pissed off the scorpuon? You can't.

If stung by the black scorpion it will hurt like all get out not only from envemomation but

also from the physical size of the stinger itself...it's thick & long. Treat as you would a bee

or wasp sting or immerse the part stung in the hottest water you can stand for at least

5 minutes. If you start tio have breathing difficulties or an irregular heartbeat get to

a hospital asap & have someone go with you to describe what stung you/bring the

splattered scorpion along in a bag so the hospital has a positive ID.

There are scorpions here that may be lethal...the yellowish/brownish amber looking

ones and the grey with orange spots type. Seriously...grey with orange spots & perhaps

reddish orange spots. These two types will ruin your day & possibly your life...don't ever

try to handle these unless you are 100% sure you know what you're doing. Even then

it's best to simply shoo em away.

Use a slender stick or broom to shoo em away...and be forwarned...they can move pretty

quick if they want to.

Not aggressive, but had to get up the odd night because dog and scorpion are dancing around each other and the dog is barking.

Stood on one accidently in the dark and it was stabbing the sole of my flip flop, but only because I trapped it.

Pretty sure venomous snakes are not safe to pick up just because they have a small head. Be careful.

Some snakes have the ability to dislocate the lower jaw so they can swallow their sometimes quite large prey whole. (Did you ever see a snake with a knife & fork?) Be aware that an animal that can dislocate it's lower jaw can manage a much bigger bite that you would think. Do not be foolish around snakes. PS Malaysian Pit Vipers can look a bit like a small python at first glance or in poor light. Don't go trying to pick up one of them or you can die. The first one I saw round here, it was exactly what i thought, but one of our staff had already killed it I was feeling a bit bad about it til I got out my snake book & Google images & broke into a cold sweat.

PS I do not like poisonous things but black scorpions look pretty un- aggressive and generally move reasonably slowly. I just move them on unless right up against the house.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Pick them up by the tail,taking care not to get stung,these black scorpions,the sting is about same as

a bee, its the ones with thin claws you have to be careful with ,they can be deadly.thanks for not killing

regards worgeordie

How anyone would want to pick up snakes or these horrible looking scorpion things I just do not know.

Are they going to stroke them, cuddle them or what? UGGGGGGH.

As mentioned: Big claws, small sting, small claws, big sting.

They are not 'aggressive' in the way Scolopendridae (giant centipedes) are, however they are feisty and will go on the defensive (i.e sting or nip) if threatened. They can be easily manoeuvred onto a dustpan or shovel and bunged over the fence into next door's if needed.....so no real need to handle or squash them.

To the 'squash them on sight' gang, bear in mind that they are handy in keeping vermin numbers down as well as numbers of other possible dangerous creatures such as spiders, centipides and even snakes, down too.

regards worgeordie

you are very shallow..... they are farmed for consumption . i think you need a reason to feel good about yourself by being above killing vermin in your garden , blood simple that is .....

think i read........... big jaws = small sting, small jaws = big sting

I think that applies to their overall size in general as well. The paler ones seem more poisonous as well. I was hit by one of these in Mexico. I was taken to the Red Cross and they kept me under observation for an hour to make sure my airway did not close up. It hit me on the arm and it was really sore for a couple of days. It was winning the lottery I guess I just happened to lean on the wall on top of the only scorpion on the premises.

Good pic Simon!

Thanks! I'll let Mr Google know smile.png

According to the new government rules are we not supposed to give credit to the person from whom we "borrowed" the picture from in this case Google. Just asking a question do what you want. Personally I think the world is to jammed up with rules. Pretty soon we will have to contact the government when we want to have sex and pay the sex tax. Guess that means once a month for me. How about you guys?

Edited by elgordo38

think i read........... big jaws = small sting, small jaws = big sting

I think that applies to their overall size in general as well. The paler ones seem more poisonous as well. I was hit by one of these in Mexico. I was taken to the Red Cross and they kept me under observation for an hour to make sure my airway did not close up. It hit me on the arm and it was really sore for a couple of days. It was winning the lottery I guess I just happened to lean on the wall on top of the only scorpion on the premises.

Yeah - I thought I'd always read that the smaller the scorpion the more dangerous it is (to humans, anyway) ...