How aggressive are the large black scorpions?

simon43

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick them up by the tail,taking care not to get stung,these black scorpions,the sting is about same as

a bee, its the ones with thin claws you have to be careful with ,they can be deadly.thanks for not killing

them,lots of people on ThaiVisa seem to want to kill anything that moves.

regards worgeordie

Good post and good advice.

They are not really very aggressive, but like most creatures they will defend themselves if they feel threatened.

I have been stung by a scorpion before, but it was my fault, not his.

It was on a piece of wood that I picked up.

I didn't see it,

It stung me in self defense.

Like you said, it was like a bee sting.

It did hurt, but nothing serious.

In Thailand many people, especially Thai people I know will kill anything that moves.

Curious behavior for people who claim to follow the teachings of the Buddha...huh?

Pick them up by the tail,taking care not to get stung,these black scorpions,the sting is about same as

a bee, its the ones with thin claws you have to be careful with ,they can be deadly.thanks for not killing

regards worgeordie

A good general rule I have used all my life, the smaller and lighter color scorpian will be the most agressive and will sting continuously, injecting venom on each sting - Worgeodie is correct, these are not agressive animals, but if you hurt one they will retaliate - I have about 100 black scorpians in my 5 liter jar of Cobra/scorpian rice whiskey here in Vietnam - quite tasty. "One shot and your good for the whole day"

Pretty sure venomous snakes are not safe to pick up just because they have a small head. Be careful.

Alan ir correct a baby poison snake has potent venom and will kill you dead as hell. I seen a baby bite the back of a large mans heal he died in about 30 minutes..Just sayin..

regards worgeordie

They are not really very aggressive, but like most creatures they will defend themselves if they feel threatened.

I didn't see it,

In Thailand many people, especially Thai people I know will kill anything that moves.

Curious behavior for people who claim to follow the teachings of the Buddha...huh?

if you had babies/small childs running around/in your home, wouldn't you be more careful with thes kinds of venomous animals, would you ? aren(t you well aware that consequences are more serious if a baby get stung than in the case of an adult , are you ? just trying to explain the "curious behavior"... wai2.gif

It looks like a Pandinus Emperator to me. Beautiful creatures! I used to breed them when I lived in Europe. Painful yes, but generally not fatal.

I THINK they're an endangered spicies now.

No real reason to worry. Catch and release.

think i read........... big jaws = small sting, small jaws = big sting

Read again. Claws not Jaws. Big clasw small sting. Thin (small??) claws, bad sting is what the man said, assuming he is right.

i think "most" folks got the gist of what I was saying

I wont pick up millipedes as I believe them to be toxic. No animal will eat them, but some species of lemur crush them and rub the fluid into their fur as an insect repellant.

funny I often pick them up about 5-6 inches long, they usually curl up

They aren't aggressive but they are defensive and will sting if they feel threatened. And contrary to what a few said, the black ones are indeed venomous -- not lethal but hurt like $%^&*. Not in any way comparable to a bee sting...serious, serious pain, lasting many hours. Speaking from bitter personal experience.

Personally I use a long handled broom and one of those long handled dust pans to sweep them up and move them elsewhere while keeping myself a good distance away.

Having been stung once -- in the hand -- nothing could induce me to pick one up with my hands, even by methods said to be safe.

I've spent a total of about 12 weeks in Ubon over the past 2 years and in that short time had 3 very close encounters with these beasties heading for my feet! Each time I spotted them when they were a couple of inches away! Tail moving up! Sure I would got stung if I didn't move my feet. They seem attracted to my ankles!

I know they probably won't kill me but I really don't like the idea of anything injecting bodily fluids into me!

I remember seeing them being handled on telly. If you pick them up by just bellow the stinger you can put them on your hand or arm no problem, because they don't tend to sting things underneath them... but be careful not to get any of your parts in front of them.

The time you discover that you suffer from anaphylaxic shock could be too late

Edited by streboris

After spending over 5 years working in African deserts, the only good insect is a dead one.

Black scorpions not venomous. Yellow ones venomous.

Snakes, scorpions get either a machette or a hammer.

All scorpions are venomous smile.png

I have bred Laos and Thai forest scorpions in the UK, the venom is not particularly strong but it will sting for 4 or 5 hours - I have experienced this smile.png

The rules are - small claws - more potent, large claw - less so because they have evolved to have larger claws to make up for the weaker venom.

We often get these in our garden in Kalasin and they are fine going about their own business, compared to the Red Ants who are complete nut jobs!

The only invertebrate with venom strong enough to ruin your day in Thailand is the Scolopendra / De Kaap...

Edited by chonabot

regards worgeordie

I didn't see it,

Well in the US any thing that flys dies is that true?

regards worgeordie

I didn't see it,

No, Green job.

It is not true.

Do you have any more brilliant questions?

I wont pick up millipedes as I believe them to be toxic. No animal will eat them, but some species of lemur crush them and rub the fluid into their fur as an insect repellant.

wrong , hens eat it.... smile.png and not confound millipedes and centipedes : big difference wink.png

regards worgeordie

I didn't see it,

No, Green job.

It is not true.

Do you have any more brilliant questions?

Well from what i have seen its true, also anything that walks dies as well is that true?. As they say fill the air with lead and some will connect True?

even bows and arrows ???

wrong , hens eat it.... smile.png and not confound millipedes and centipedes : big difference wink.png

I haven't seen hens eat them myself, but you could be right.

I don't confound them with centipedes, there are very obvious differences. [we used to get centipedes 8-10 inches long marching through our camp when prospecting in the Australian bush. Chopping them in half with a shovel would result in 2 very angry halves charging all over the place.]

I didn't say millipedes were venomous, but toxic. They won't kill you if handled, but I would hate to transfer any of their juices to my eyes or mouth. I've never seen a Thai who picks them up.

Edited by Old Croc

Ducks love to gobble up millipedes, chooks will also have a go at them.

Going a bit off topic about Americans killing anything that flies, let me remined you about the passenger pigeon. Before the arrival of the European they existed in their billions. When they swarmed they blocked out the sun. Unfortunately they were easy to shoot and good eating. The last living specimen is said to have died in 1914.

I don't know how aggressive they are in the wild.

But I have it on good authority that soaking them in rice wine for a few years takes a lot of the fight out of them.

Edit: Works for snakes and millipedes, too.

Edited by impulse