Can I use a monitor from Amazon here?

Cheesekraft

I didn't think this could be an issue, but I have a monitor coming here from Amazon (wasn't anything similar available here, and the price was better including customs/delivery for the next best outdated options). There is no voltage information, will I have problems? Do I need to buy a voltage converter? Can I just plug it in out of t he box into the wall; or do I need to buy a new plug and use that? I am afraid I will instantly toast an expensive piece of hardware...sad.png

If it will run on 220V you are good to go. If it will only run on 120V then you'll need to get a stepdown transformer. Most monitor and elecrical devices now days can work on 120 or 220V. Just go look at the specs of the monitor you bought....go to the manufacturer's website to get the info if the Amazon website don't provide it....your answer is there.

Incredibly different / impossible to find a datasheet blink.png

Just two indicators:

It seems to have a built in power adapter.

It is sold in 230 V countries.

So it is at least likely that it has the same universal power adapters (110 100 to 240 V) like almost all external power adapters.

At most you would need a different power cord (easy).

It HAS a built in power adapter (three pin socket), see here (click):

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MG279Q-power.jpg

I would be optimistic when seeing this label:

(it is for shipment to Netherlands but shows "100 to 240 V")

post-99794-0-54250900-1439525865_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

For that monitor Amazon want $110 dollars for the cheapest shipping option with pre-paid duty,

I have seen a lot of monitors fail within the warranty period, I would be reluctant to purchase a monitor from Amazon for delivery to Thailand.

Try invadeIT, they have a lot of monitors that are impossible to find in stock anywhere else in Thailand and their customer service is second to none in my experience.

Edited by technologybytes

I purchased a WD media player from Amazon including their prepaid customs. About a month later, Amazon sent me an email that the customs amount I paid was in excess of amount needed and refunded me US$30 smile.png. I have also bought items from other USA vendors that do the prepaid customs bit - yes, probably more than if shipped without it, but to me, it is worth it not to have any hassles with customs here.

thank you for that.. I dind't think to look for the manual online! I hope it does infact work fine, I will check before plugging it in on the box but maybe I should just use a local power cable with its adapter.

I was happy to pay $120 extra for shipping+customs because it is an extremely good monitor, and there are only two similar ones, and invadeit/lazada do not carry anything similar.

I have also gotten refunds regularly on customs imports from amazon, but usually very small ones even for some absurd fees.

That monitor must be very special since you are willing to spend that extra on shipping/taxes and head aces if problems with it.

I bough a Dell with same resolution and 27" from invade IT for about 18k baht, love it man.

Okay your seems to be a gaming monitor, never play games myself but watch downloaded TV series and movies and stuff like that.

When the Dell is due for a replacement in 3-4 years time, then a 4K monitor will be on the shopping list.

The power cable says "300V" on it, and the monitor says "AC 100~240V (Built-IN)" so I am assuming it is good to go. I hope no explosions result...

The monitor has everything I was looking for; 75 hz refresh rate, which is a godsend for the eyes, fast response time (4ms), ability to go flat or vertical, a very nice resolution, and an IPS screen. Theres no monitors with all of those features in Thailand, nothing even close really. I would have preferred the acer XR341CK 34'' curved screen with similar features, but that is not available here and is quite costly!

4k Monitors are not worth it yet, you would need an extremely beefy graphics card, like a Titan, to get reasonable performance out of it. I would go for a Qnix monitor if this was what you are looking for, they are quite cheap.

should I use the included power cable, or one I have already? I am probably worry way too much about this, but I imagine it would be an absolute nightmare if something happened, even if I WERE able to return it, it would probably take months...

tested it on a water boiler first, worked fine, the monitor is good to go and beautiful!

Edited by Cheesekraft