Bomb explosions in Bangkok: Thai Red Cross issues urgent plea for blood donation

webfact

Thai Red Cross issues urgent plea for blood donation
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Red Cross Society issued an urgent plea for the people to donate blood Tuesday as a lot of blood supplies are needed for 77 victims of the explosion at the Rajprasong Intersection.

The bomb exploded at 6:55 pm.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-Red-Cross-issues-urgent-plea-for-blood-donati-30266786.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-18

Thailand with nearly 70 million inhabitants does not have blood reserves for 70 people??????? 4th world country.

Maybe, the Red Cross in Thailand should engage a little more in normal times instead of driving around in new suits, with expensive cars, etc.

I have O-Neg and they refused my donation twice already, not even understanding what I meant when I said my blood is sometimes very much needed... TIT

Thailand with nearly 70 million inhabitants does not have blood reserves for 70 people??????? 4th world country.

Maybe, the Red Cross in Thailand should engage a little more in normal times instead of driving around in new suits, with expensive cars, etc.

I have O-Neg and they refused my donation twice already, not even understanding what I meant when I said my blood is sometimes very much needed... TIT

Thai Red Cross do not accept NEW blood donors above the age of 55.

Didn't know that. Any specific reason given? Blood from people above 55 years old needing too much filtering, lacking strength, any other nonsense reason?

Thai Red Cross in BKK refused me last year due to my having lived in the UK prior to 1996 (due to BSE/Mad Cow Disease concerns). I don't know if they still apply this or have changed their guidelines

ERAWAN BOMB EXPLOSION
People flock to donate blood following bomb blast

30266832-01_big.jpg?1439875482094

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of people line up at the national blood donation centre at Thai Red Cross Society headquarters on Rama IV road following the fatal bomb blast on Ratchaprasong intersection near the Erawan Shrine on Monday night.

The explosion killed at least 20 and wounded dozens others. The injured people, including foreigners, are receiving treatment at many Bangkok hospitals.

The donation centre receives blood on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 to 4.30am; on Tuesday and Thursday from 7.30am to 7.30pm and on weekends and holidays from 8.30am to 3.30pm.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/People-flock-to-donate-blood-following-bomb-blast-30266832.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-18

I wasn't 55 at that time and still today, I'm below 55 ...

Didn't know that. Any specific reason given? Blood from people above 55 years old needing too much filtering, lacking strength, any other nonsense reason?

No, no reason was given. However, if you were a blood donor in Thailand before the age of 55, you could still donate at an older age. I have to admit I do not understand the logic here.

I almost had died in hospital at March without 0 neg blood. The Thai Red Cross had not at all, and they refuse the 0 neg blood donation. Pretty nice case.

I think, that is a good idea to make an " 0 negative " group in FB for Bangkok, cause this is a specially rear here, almost there is not. And you never know.

My doctor in hospital said: "If we don't get blood, minimum 5 units, I cant guarantee anything."

Was a pretty nice view.

Than my wife picked up 3 Thai people for 1-1 unit (big respect and many thanks again) and the hospital found 2 units around 400 Km from Bkk.

And the Thai Red Cross refuse 0 neg blood donation. Crazyness ...

No, no reason was given. However, if you were a blood donor in Thailand before the age of 55, you could still donate at an older age. I have to admit I do not understand the logic here.

I did a quick check. It would seem in the UK you can donate blood between 17 and 66 years old (70 if you have given blood before). The USA doesn't seem to have an age limit above 17, but more strict guidelines (no HIV, no Hepatitis (I had Hep-A as a child), diabetis under control, no piercings, etc.). Australia has age limit at 61 and to 81 for existing, continuing donors.

ERAWAN BOMB EXPLOSION

People flock to donate blood following bomb blast

30266832-01_big.jpg?1439875482094

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of people line up at the national blood donation centre at Thai Red Cross Society headquarters on Rama IV road following the fatal bomb blast on Ratchaprasong intersection near the Erawan Shrine on Monday night.

The explosion killed at least 20 and wounded dozens others. The injured people, including foreigners, are receiving treatment at many Bangkok hospitals.

The donation centre receives blood on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 to 4.30am; on Tuesday and Thursday from 7.30am to 7.30pm and on weekends and holidays from 8.30am to 3.30pm.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/People-flock-to-donate-blood-following-bomb-blast-30266832.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-08-18

Rather mundane question, but were can one park when going there?

I couldn't go yesterday, but I will today.