Is Thailand still a Third World Country?

NoshowJones

Is Thailand still a third world country? What do you think? Please give a yes or no and state your reason.

My personal opinion is Yes, and will always be until the disgraceful road fatalities decrease considerably,

and the Police force is sorted out.

Also, although the Thais are decent, honest, and helpful people in most cases, I also have to say that again

in most cases, the Thai mentality is very low, from both the well educated to the working class.

Please don't turn this into a Thai bashing topic, and be constructive with any answers you may have.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a third world country?

Originally there was the Old World, the New World and the Third World. So yes it's a third world country. It is a newly industrialised country.

You seem to be confusing third world with inferiority in some way.

In some aspects it is, in others, it is better than 3rd world, depend really on your perspectives on life

and do you expect from it, Thailand has made great strides to be a modern, developed country, putting

the emphasis on good governance and educations and social security and equality to all,

I have been here for 28 years and I have seen the changes for the better here, of course, not all is peachy

here, far from it, but that's it exactly that make this county a good place to live, enjoy and occasionally whine

and whinge about stuff..

Yes is it. For many reasons.

Roads and traffic

Look at any utility power pole its a mess of cables and almost always overloaded

Bureaucracy

Food storage - just look at how meat is presented at any market

Building standard or lack theroff

General workmanship on anything is poor, good work is the exception not the norm

In terms of sales, service or anything involving work people are reactive and not proactive

There thats a start.

I still like it here though :)

Originally there was the Old World, the New World and the Third World. So yes it's a third world country. It is a newly industrialised country.

Yes I am. I thought that was the way it was. I was speaking to a well educated Farang, and she said that Thailand was not a third world country anymore.

I disagreed with that mainly for what I said in the OP. If I am getting confused and have worded it wrongly, I apologise.

Yes I am. I thought that was the way it was. I was speaking to a well educated Farang,

The colour of her skin was in what way important to the thread?

What was her nationality, Thai, Polish French, English, etc.?

Where was she educated and to what level?

For all we know she was a redneck hillbilly from Alabama

Sorry, I don't automatically assume white girls are experts, just because they're white!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

No but the people are!!! And I see no chance of them changing any time soon I should know I am married to one. Thankfully our girls having been raised in the UK can see this and often remark on it to me.

In some aspects it is, in others, it is better than 3rd world, depend really on your perspectives on life

and do you expect from it, Thailand has made great strides to be a modern, developed country, putting

the emphasis on good governance and educations and social security and equality to all,

I have been here for 28 years and I have seen the changes for the better here, of course, not all is peachy

here, far from it, but that's it exactly that make this county a good place to live, enjoy and occasionally whine

and whinge about stuff..

Good post, I love Thailand and it's people, but I don't think I'll get over how they allow all the carnage on the roads

when they could do something about it, and a lot of that carnage is down to a low mentality of the drivers and riders.

'Third World' is obsolete. The United Nations replaced it with 'developing country' a long time ago.

Well I suppose it is fair to say Thailand is a developing country, but as far as the road fatalities and education are concerned, there is

still a good bit of developing to do.

Yes you are right, if I have worded my OP wrong then I apologise, but I think you get my drift.

Families like to eat together....friends have no problem putting each other up when they come to town and need a place to stay....Families take care of other family member's children (and even non family member's children). They live to take care of their parents and elderly members of the family etc., etc., etc.,..... 1st, 2nd. or 3rd. world, that makes it a better culture than the one I left behind when I came here from my "home" country.

I always thought "3rd World" countries were those outside the industrialised western world (1st world) and the communist world (2nd World). So basically it's a completely out of date term, and descriptive rather than pejorative.

I recall reading 3rd world status is determined by country infrastructure.

Thailand is getting better, but wires are still hanging everywhere, rural areas are still without internet or phone service

So pretty much still 3rd, but could be 2nd

OP writes. "the Thai mentality is very low, from both the well educated to the working class. Please don't turn this into a Thai bashing topic," Now if that is not a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.gigglem.gif