Americans, Briton who thwarted train attack get France's top honor

webfact

Americans, Briton who thwarted attack get France's top honor
By SYLVIE CORBET

PARIS (AP) — Three Americans and a Briton who tackled an attacker loaded with guns and ammunition prevented carnage on the high-speed train carrying 500 passengers to Paris, France's president said Monday as he presented the men with the Legion of Honor and praised them as an example of the need for action when faced with terrorism.

President Francois Hollande said the two Americans who first tackled the gunman were soldiers, "but on Friday you were simply passengers. You behaved as soldiers but also as responsible men."

Hollande then pinned the Legion of Honor medal on U.S. Airman Spencer Stone, National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos, and their longtime friend Anthony Sadler, who subdued the gunman as he moved through the train with an assault rifle strapped to his bare chest. British businessman, Chris Norman, who also jumped into the fray, also received the medal.

The men showed "that faced with terror, we have the power to resist. You also gave a lesson in courage, in will, and thus in hope," Hollande said.

Norman, speaking in French after receiving the medal, said it was less a question of heroism than survival.

"I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I ask you to really think: OK, what will I do if this happens? Am I going to simply stand still or am I going to try to be active if the situation presents itself?" he said.

The Americans, casual in vacation-style polo shirts and khakis against the backdrop of the highly formal presidential palace, appeared slightly overwhelmed as they received France's highest honor.

His arm in a sling and his eye bruised, Stone, 23, has said he was coming out of a deep sleep when the gunman appeared.

Skarlatos, a 22-year-old National Guardsman recently back from Afghanistan, "just hit me on the shoulder and said 'Let's go.'"

With those words, Hollande said, a "veritable carnage" was avoided.

"Since Friday, the entire world admires your courage, your sangfroid, your spirit of solidarity. This is what allowed you to with bare hands — your bare hands — subdue an armed man. This must be an example for all, and a source of inspiration," Hollande said.

The gunman, identified as 26-year-old Moroccan Ayoub El-Khazzani, is detained and being questioned by French counterterrorism police outside Paris.

El-Khezzani's lawyer, Sophie David, told Le Monde newspaper the gunman is ill-educated, emaciated, and told her he had spent the past six months traveling between Belgium, Germany and Austria, as well as France and Andorra. She said he told her he only intended to rob the train with a cache of guns he came across in a public garden near the train station and is "dumbfounded" that it is being treated as an act of terrorism.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-24

If El-Khazzani was indeed desperately broke and had to rob a train, how did he lawyer up so quickly? I hope the anti-terrorism experts trace the money. Some filthy rich Muslims are financing this guy's defense and that should be used as evidence to put holes in his claim that he was intending to rob people and not engage in terrorism.

How was this terrorist able to get a cache of weapons (Kalashnikov rifle, handgun, etc) onto the train in the first place???

Belgium needs to answer some vital questions as to how & why the attack occurred.

How was this terrorist able to get a cache of weapons (Kalashnikov rifle, handgun, etc) onto the train in the first place???

Belgium needs to answer some vital questions as to how & why the attack occurred.

He found the weapons in a public garden, now you must believe that surely?

"The Americans, casual in vacation-style polo shirts and khakis against the backdrop of the highly formal presidential palace" I'm glad the guys dressed that way, and no one stuffed them into suits or even worse, uniforms. They were on vacation. Guess wonderful acts of heroism can sometimes lead to change of itinerary..... these guys typify positive characteristics of many Americans, but then again they weren't acting for government or corporations at the time either. good on older Brit too. biggrin.png

Edited by Emster23

If El-Khazzani was indeed desperately broke and had to rob a train, how did he lawyer up so quickly? I hope the anti-terrorism experts trace the money. Some filthy rich Muslims are financing this guy's defense and that should be used as evidence to put holes in his claim that he was intending to rob people and not engage in terrorism.

Is it a court appointed lawyer?

Is it a lawyer who is doing it pro bono, as many do?

Even if someone is paying for a lawyer how on gods green earth can that be considered any evidence at all.

In lots of countries the police will have a list of 'duty lawyers' he may have just picked a name and called it. The lawyer will then be paid by the state for that appearance until he can either pay or gets legal aid.

The way your mind works is worrying sometimes.

Of course, I often walk in parks & see the odd Kalashnikov left in a rubbish bin or on a seat!!

Of course, I often walk in parks & see the odd Kalashnikov left in a rubbish bin or on a seat!!

Guns and ammo were found on the side of the road here in Thailand, allegedly. But France.

Guns and ammo were found on the side of the road here in Thailand, allegedly. But France.

Not France..... gear was supposed found in Brussels park.Train travels between Brussels-Paris & return.

Not that it matters where it was found, more the point,whether it's true or not & the fact that it was so easy to get it onto the train!!!

Where's the security??

That story sounds very fake.....everywhere Europe is getting boring of the wars and blame USA for it. Also everyone is tired of the security and spying. As well everyone wants the US soldiers leave Europe.

Than a Muslim terrorist come in the country that is most critical and US soldiers on holiday save the day.

Not Russian, Italian, Iranian French soldiers/police on holidays. No American did it.

It is almost too much coincident.

For me it looks like at least USA knew about it, if not help it so get some good press.

So you suspect its like when a Thai taxi driver return 5,000,000B to a passenger that forgot his wallet in the Taxi ... ? clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

These Guys are heros but somebody just dont want to realize that the free World would be so finished without US ... Surprised the usual muslim apologizer didnt post yet - he even defend muslims raping children ...

Lucky for the Surrender Monkeys that the soldiers were on that train but what will happen next time with all these "not good for anything" scum that running around in Europe ...

Just raising the question to your attention. Does France not have a system which appoints a public defender attorney in cases of not having money. I know this would happen in the U.S.

Just raising the question to your attention. Does France not have a system which appoints a public defender attorney in cases of not having money. I know this would happen in the U.S.

yes a bad lawyer normaly...and i would like to say to the conspirationist H90 that individuals have nothing to do with their gov