In T'land, does all petrol have alcohol?

Stopped today for the tank of gas (petrol), asked for 91. Looked at the pump and saw ALL choices of petrol had alcohol. I was at Caltex, so need to know if all brands of gas here in T'land have some proportion of alcohol?

I would like to try a few tanks without the alcohol to learn if car might run a bit better under load.

Might as well put beer in it,no increased performance with alcohol here.

I think it was more about reducing imports and costs, and my bike runs fine on the stuff.

If you feel you need to go faster, perhaps stripes on the side will help?

The PTT yellow is pure 95 octane gasoline.

or up to 20% ethanol... ( color appears more orange then yellow)

OP, look for the word "gasohol"

It means gasoline mixed with a certain % of ethanol (not alcohol)

The only color code for gasoline pure is RED 91

img-product-blue-innovation-logoGasoholA

Here on Phuket there is no 91 pure gasoline for sale anymore, only 95.

95 octane benzene (petrol) nowadays is widely available at the big stations.

91 octane benzene has been abondoned long ago (2 years or so).

At PTT stations benzene is recognizable by the yellow background color.

The Thai script is the transcript for "benzene".

post-99794-0-12184200-1440472681_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

95 octane benzene (petrol) nowadays is widely available at the big stations.

91 octane benzene has been abondoned long ago (2 years or so).

At PTT stations benzene is recognizable by the yellow background color.

attachicon.giffuels.jpg

don*t use the word benzene to much, benzine is more likely

benzene is carcigogene...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

It's still available, but can be difficult to find - just look for the gasoline that costs 33-34 Baht/L instead of 24-27 Baht/L smile.png

Yes, check PTT stations for it, ask for benzeen.

Although it is written in Thai "Benzine", they do not understand 'Benzeen", Gas or Gasoline. Here it is petrol pronounced "Petron". If there is no E followed by a number then it is not blended with Ethanol. I run my Honda CRV on E20 and it goes like a dream on Economy setting.

Edited by Estrada

You will find Benzine at PTT, Esso and Caltex. Shell V-Power 95 only contains about 5% alcohol, so most newer cars should be OK with it..

Benzene used to be used for cleaning, aftershave, a solvent in many glues. It's quite a nasty chemical and in laboratories is normally used under an extractor fan, as it is carcinogenic.

However, the chemical benzine (benzene) is not related to petrol (gasoline). It's a name which continued on from the early use and invention of the vehicle engine, and is commonly called benzene in Europe, but in fact it's gasoline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

Although it is written in Thai "Benzine", they do not understand 'Benzeen", Gas or Gasoline. Here it is petrol pronounced "Petron". If there is no E followed by a number then it is not blended with Ethanol. I run my Honda CRV on E20 and it goes like a dream on Economy setting.

Yes, they do u understand Benzine. That's what i always tell them - "Benzine 95, khrap", as it says on the pump. Never gotten wrong so far.

You will find Benzine at PTT, Esso and Caltex. Shell V-Power 95 only contains about 5% alcohol, so most newer cars should be OK with it..

Benzene used to be used for cleaning, aftershave, a solvent in many glues. It's quite a nasty chemical and in laboratories is normally used under an extractor fan, as it is carcinogenic.

However, the chemical benzine (benzene) is not related to petrol (gasoline). It's a name which continued on from the early use and invention of the vehicle engine, and is commonly called benzene in Europe, but in fact it's gasoline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

I am not talking about Benzene, but Benzine (as the Thais call it), or Bensin (as Europeans say including scandis as myself) - which is as u correctly state Petrol or Gasoline in the US of A. Different countries, different meanings of a the same word... wink.png

From Wikipedia:

In many countries, gasoline has a colloquial name derived from that of the chemical benzene (e.g., German Benzin, Dutch benzine, Italian benzina, Polish benzyna, Chilean Spanish bencina, Thai เบนซิน bayn sin , Greek βενζίνηvenzini, Romanian benzină, Swedish bensin, Arabic بنزين binzīn). Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Italy use the colloquial name nafta derived from that of the chemical naphtha.[40]

Edited by mortenaa

It's still available, but can be difficult to find - just look for the gasoline that costs 33-34 Baht/L instead of 24-27 Baht/L smile.png

Yes, check PTT stations for it, ask for benzeen.

Must be your pronounciation. If I ask for benzeen I always get the pure petrol variant without alcohol added.

Yes, they do u understand Benzine. That's what i always tell them - "Benzine 95, khrap", as it says on the pump. Never gotten wrong so far.

Sure they do. And as shown its written in Thai script at the pump. Never used "petrol".

Maybe its understood in the farang rich areas. Here in upcountry not known.

don*t use the word benzene to much, benzine is more likely

benzene is carcigogene...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

"Benzene"/"Benzine", I am not a native speaker. Learned something. In my language its "Benzin" tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

attachicon.giffuels.jpg

This "benzine" you can find above all three other kinds, too - except for the Diesel...

Yep, but always appended with "gasohol" and this is the common term (gasohol 91, gasohol 95).

Spoken as "gasohon".

Edited by KhunBENQ

Benzine is being phased out everywhere. Used to be able to get it at any station up until a few years ago.

??

Some posts are simply strange.

What country are you referring to?

Did you follow the thread in any way?

I am not aware of any plans to phase out benzine 95.

As written benzine 91 was phased out some two years (?) ago.

Edited by KhunBENQ