Army chief praises NLA for approving Bt2.72-tn 2016 national budget

Lite Beer

Army chief praises NLA for approving Bt2.72-tn 2016 national budget
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- ARMY CHIEF General Udomdej Sitabutr thanked the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) for approving the 2016 national budget worth Bt2.72 trillion.

"In general, the budget has increased slightly from last year. [Military spending in] this budget is mostly allocated to Army forces for soldiers' salaries and stipends. This accounts around 60 per cent of the total budget.

"In the meantime, the Army will also allocate funds for development projects and other missions. Some munitions will also have to be replaced, though not that much. We try to maintain the capacity of the Army to make it acceptable to the eyes of international partners," he said.

Udomdej added that sometimes there might be some misunderstanding by the public as to why the Army has to strengthen its capacity.

"I'd like to clarify that it is a matter of necessity, which does not mean that it's for the purpose of preparing for war. However, we are moving towards the Asean Community. Therefore, there is the necessity to upgrade all [of the Army's capacities] at an equal level."

He added that Thailand's international partners had upgraded their military capacities.

Udomdej also stressed that the general public should rest assured that the Army would not overspend the budget and would use it in an appropriate manner.

"Everyone is aware that we have to contribute to the good image of the country. Capacity development is conducted in accordance with Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha's policy," he said.

"Even though [some parts of the budget] have been reduced, I'd like to thank the NLA and the committee … for having carefully taken the Army budget into consideration and approving it accordingly," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-chief-praises-NLA-for-approving-Bt2-72-tn-201-30267718.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-29

Wow! 60% o the nations budget is allocated to the armed forces. This is in a country who is not at war with anyone nor has any special fleets or aircraft to maintain. Where is all that money going to? Hard to believe that the military needs more money than the whole country.

Wow! 60% o the nations budget is allocated to the armed forces. This is in a country who is not at war with anyone nor has any special fleets or aircraft to maintain. Where is all that money going to? Hard to believe that the military needs more money than the whole country.

Slow down. It's poorly written.

It's 60% of the Army's budget, not the nation's budget, that is being allocated to "soldiers' salaries and stipends".

It is unimaginable that 60% of the country's budget is going military stipends and salaries, but here's what it says:

"In general, the budget has increased slightly from last year. [Military spending in] this budget is mostly allocated to Army forces for soldiers' salaries and stipends. This accounts around 60 per cent of the total budget.

As I say, you're very likely right, and the article is only written VERY poorly rather than accurately. I sure hope so. sad.png

BTW, how many are enrolled in the military in Thailand?

Edited by Inn Between

He should be happy. The budget committee did such a great job cutting the budget requests of all the other ministries, ... except the MoD which obviously submitted a budget request which was too modest

According to the budget committee spokesperson, Maj Gen Chatudom Titthasiri, budgets requested by 302 agencies of 18 Ministries account for 76 percent of the entire budget. So far the committee has been able to shave off 9.754 billion Baht from the initial numbers.

The committee will proceed to consider budget allocations for the Ministry of Interior, followed by non-ministry agencies and independent organizations.

Regarding the Ministry of Defense, Gen Chatudom disclosed that the committee had decided to increase the budget for the Ministry by 10 billion Baht as a result of an increase in compensation to its regular army personnel and ranger force.

coffee1.gif

Wow! 60% o the nations budget is allocated to the armed forces.

No. 60% of the military budget is allocated to salaries and stipends. (and health care I assume) The U.S. spends ~ 20% on salaries.

I think it is ~ 8% of the budget, and ~ 4.5 % GDP, but those figures may be out of date?

Wow! 60% o the nations budget is allocated to the armed forces.

No. 60% of the military budget is allocated to salaries and stipends. (and health care I assume) The U.S. spends ~ 20% on salaries.

I think it is ~ 8% of the budget, and ~ 4.5 % GDP, but those figures may be out of date?

You are correct in what you say. Some posters are too quick to jump to their keyboards without reading and understanding the content of the OP.

Having said that, IMHO the number of armed forces personnel is about double the needs for a country facing no real outside threats. 'Jobs for the boys' and image are sooo important in this country.

Wow -and everybody thought the rice scheme was bad.

Well, not everybody. There are a lot of people out there who still defend it to this day.

But it was bad, no matter how much the government spends on the Military.