TOPS

vickersvc10

I will admit that compared to Tops in Bangkok and even the one in Udon, the Pattaya branch didn't seem to indulge the farang buyer as much. I guess competition with Friendship, Best, Villa and Foodland was tough. Big C Extra doesn't have dog in this fight IMHO.

That's a huge space they are freeing up for what?... another air conditioned tourist clothing dumping ground like Mikes Mall?

Are they relocating or doing a complete Elvis?

Was in there yesterday, all the fruit,veg,dairy fridges were empty and turned off. Half the shelves were empty, so it looks like closing soon.

This Tops was great 12 to 13 years ago. It was busy and well stocked. It had that old busy food court that served up both Thai and Farang meals. It was a good place to go. Over the years though it just ran downwards. Then a couple of years ago they moved all the registers in by 10 meters or so therefore making it even smaller. Their prices were higher than Big C and in some Cases Foodland, that drove customers away. The food court is worse now than what is was before too. They let it go, what a shame.

Theres a many years old plan to tear down the place including the hotel towards the beach.

Centara is planning a new hotel including an MBK shoppingmall; those plans where put in the fridge in 2008/2009.

Of course, it will take years before the entire place/area is cleared and ready for (de-)construction.

It has been going down hill for a number of years now.

10 or so years ago it was quite good and I used to eat in the food court where the food was okay.

I have rarely been in Tops the last few years.

As for BIg C Extra I find there is not much to my liking in that supermarket although it is closest to my place.

There is a Tops in the lower floor of Central Shopping Mall

So "All" is not lost

Yes they do tend to be pricier than others.......you're turning left when entering....not right......same as when boarding a plane.

Ooops.....wait for it

Update: There was a sign up outside the main entrance saying that there was a new renovation happening and that the store will reopen on the 21st. of September. Lets hope they get the layout and pricing right this time.

And maybe a new manager that keeps up with what the furreners want?

Update: There was a sign up outside the main entrance saying that there was a new renovation happening and that the store will reopen on the 21st. of September. Lets hope they get the layout and pricing right this time.

no if you go back and read the sign again you will see the renovation refers to premises occupied by one of the small tenants. Tops supermarket has left permanently.

I will admit that compared to Tops in Bangkok and even the one in Udon, the Pattaya branch didn't seem to indulge the farang buyer as much. I guess competition with Friendship, Best, Villa and Foodland was tough. Big C Extra doesn't have dog in this fight IMHO.

That's a huge space they are freeing up for what?... another air conditioned tourist clothing dumping ground like Mikes Mall?

Are they relocating or doing a complete Elvis?

Did you forget about Tops Central, which very much caters to foreign buyers. I'm surprised the kept both stores open for 6 years.

There is a Tops in the lower floor of Central Shopping Mall

So "All" is not lost

Yes they do tend to be pricier than others.......you're turning left when entering....not right......same as when boarding a plane.

Ooops.....wait for it

It depends on what stores you're comparing with and what items. A lot of the stuff there cannot be found elsewhere. They also have some very good deals on imported fruit, which aren't sold anywhere else besides maybe Villa or Foodland. If, for example, you're looking for NZ apples and pears, they're by far the best in town.

no if you go back and read the sign again you will see the renovation refers to premises occupied by one of the small tenants. Tops supermarket has left permanently.

Yes, I think you are right. Just to save any further confusion I will post the 2 notices here to remove any doubts.

Edit: I looked through the windows on Central Road and I see all the shelves, cash registers and fridges are still there but not in use. If they want to complete the renovation in the next 2 weeks they better get started soon.

post-29657-0-62067200-1441519331_thumb.jpost-29657-0-40867300-1441519352_thumb.j

Edited by Ling Kae

Yes, I think you are right. Just to save any further confusion I will post the 2 notices here to remove any doubts.

Edit: I looked through the windows on Central Road and I see all the shelves, cash registers and fridges are still there but not in use. If they want to complete the renovation in the next 2 weeks they better get started soon.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150906_110346.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150906_110353.jpg

one of the small retailers opposite Tops who has now relocated to an entirely different location seemed pretty sure somebody like Tesco Lotus was coming instead.

There is a huge new condo on 2nd Road just North of Pattaya Klang, due to be occupied late this year. Probably a 1,000+ rooms. All those new residents so close to Tops, would have surely increased their business.

I loved that Tops store, lots of quality foreign brand items. It was biggest Tops store in Pattaya.

Those signs refer to specific shops within that building. One shop is GNC and the other Western Union. Neither is for TOPS supermarket.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150906_110346.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150906_110353.jpg

I've been in Pattaya for about a year and only ever shopped at Tops. I liked it. Always quiet, some nice goodies from Waitrose etc. Gutted when found out the doors were closing for good. Not a fan of BigC so can anyone recommend the next best thing…? Cheers!

Go to the Tops in the basement at "Central Festival The Beach" or the smaller one in the basement of TukCom south Pattaya road.

The management of Tops fail to understand the importance of training their staff in the service industry. The cashier clerks cannot crack a smile or say hello. Even if one of the farangs greet them with a smile and a hello it is hard for them to respond. If I am going to go to a grocery store that sells Western products (and spend a load of baht) I want to shop at a happy place...not a place of gloom and that is what Tops seems to have turned into. The service at Tops mini-mart (such as the one at Markland plaza ) is slower than if one shopped around the corner at Family Mart. Though there may be three clerks behind the counter, one is always doing some sort of paperwork, the other ignoring the customers and only one clerk taking care of the line of 3-4 customers with a handful of items. NO smile ...NO greeting.

Then with the constant change of staff if makes one wonder what kind of respect/ treatment the Tops workers receive from this establishment since the look of gloom on their faces indicate it is not a decent place to work at. Tops top brass needs to understand that a happy staff can make the grocery store a more desirable place to shop at (such as Friendship grocery store).

The management of Tops fail to understand the importance of training their staff in the service industry. The cashier clerks cannot crack a smile or say hello. Even if one of the farangs greet them with a smile and a hello it is hard for them to respond. If I am going to go to a grocery store that sells Western products (and spend a load of baht) I want to shop at a happy place...not a place of gloom and that is what Tops seems to have turned into. The service at Tops mini-mart (such as the one at Markland plaza ) is slower than if one shopped around the corner at Family Mart. Though there may be three clerks behind the counter, one is always doing some sort of paperwork, the other ignoring the customers and only one clerk taking care of the line of 3-4 customers with a handful of items. NO smile ...NO greeting.

Then with the constant change of staff if makes one wonder what kind of respect/ treatment the Tops workers receive from this establishment since the look of gloom on their faces indicate it is not a decent place to work at. Tops top brass needs to understand that a happy staff can make the grocery store a more desirable place to shop at (such as Friendship grocery store).

That's all very true.

But there is just to many stores, Tops, Big-C, Mini-C, Lotus, Lotus express

Family mart, Fresh mart, 7/11 and more. there's not enough customers for

them all to survive.

That's all very true.

them all to survive.

Yes, and that is why having products to sell is not the only attraction...it is also good customer service and a simple "hello" from the staff. Why is Starbucks packed on weekends at Central? It should not be since there are other coffee shops around (and cheaper prices). It has to do with efficient customer service and a happy, well-trained staff.

That's all very true.

them all to survive.

Yes, and that is why having products to sell is not the only attraction...it is also good customer service and a simple "hello" from the staff. Why is Starbucks packed on weekends at Central? It should not be since there are other coffee shops around (and cheaper prices). It has to do with efficient customer service and a happy, well-trained staff.

Starbucks is packed because its fashionable to go there for

a few nationalities. I went once on beach road, no thanks.

coffee for me is ice cold in a plastic bag and a straw at the side of the road,

Starbucks bah.gif

Tops is closing because to many stores and not enough customers

and high over heads. not because they don't smile at you.

But I hope it does re-open, as I thought it was ok.

Do we know yet, is it gone for good or not ?

Edited by onemorechang

That's all very true.

them all to survive.

Starbucks bah.gif

My TGF and all her friends drink that bag of sugar sorry coffee. For 20 baht I guess the price is right.

Went past there today, shutters were down and access was to upstairs only. Looked in the windows and saw the old supermarket totally vacated but not the fixtures, still the old shelving around. I could not see any building activity or renovation work going on but it could be in an area I can't get a view of. Not much happening but the sign says the other 2 smaller shops should be back in business on 21 September.

Starbucks bah.gif

Do we know yet, is it gone for good or not ?My TGF and all her friends drink that bag of sugar sorry coffee. For 20 baht I guess the price is right.

Cost has nothing to do with it. coffee1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Several years ago, you may remember there was an internet "café" area over by the food court and the entrance closer to the Gulf. Nice young lady. She wanted to sell it to me. At the time I was interested in picking up a business or two. But I asked her what exactly am I buying? I know it didn't make much money but that wasn't a concern. I just wanted something that showed any profit. I just couldn't get any answers that satisfied my business sense. No guarantees from TOPs about the space lease terms, length, cost, termination options, etc. The area kept the internet stuff for about another year then it went away. And of course in the meantime, so many of my little favorite internet cafes have closed due to wifi availability, smart phones, really cheap and portable laptops and tablets, etc.